Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I'm Getting worse.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you need a trainer, dog. i don't want to insult you, but that's not even boxing. you'd get seriously hurt by a real fighter who trains every day under a real trainer. actually, at a good gym with decent trainers and fighters, you wouldn't be allowed to spar.

a competent trainer would completely overhaul what you do. he'd probably prefer that you had no experience at all over your current "style" with all its bad habits. he'd start by teaching you how to position and move your feet, hold your hands, throw a jab, and go from there.

i watched one of the two vids. i'm not sure which was which, but it really doesn't' matter.

i know that sounds harsh, but that's real talk from a dawg who is only trying to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
      I train amateurs and pro's everyday. It's not something you can half ass or take lightly. If you want to compete, you need to be in tip top shape, and be trained properly by a trainer that knows what he/she is doing.

I have already gone down this road with people who post videos of their "training" and they are just con artists who want to make money off of people.

If you have talent, then a boxing trainer will take you on free of charge. The kids in my gym with promise, we don't charge at all. We train them up and get them ready for competition.

I don't know where you live or how old you are but that's the way it should work. Boxing is the most difficult sport in the world IMO and it takes more than just working the bags and getting in shape. You need really good sparring on a consistent basis, and a trainer that will be your eyes outside of the ring.
      I live in Newnan georgia now, so if you know of any gyms that would be great.

Originally posted by New England View Post
      you need a trainer, dog. i don't want to insult you, but that's not even boxing. you'd get seriously hurt by a real fighter who trains every day under a real trainer. actually, at a good gym with decent trainers and fighters, you wouldn't be allowed to spar.

a competent trainer would completely overhaul what you do. he'd probably prefer that you had no experience at all over your current "style" with all its bad habits. he'd start by teaching you how to position and move your feet, hold your hands, throw a jab, and go from there.

i watched one of the two vids. i'm not sure which was which, but it really doesn't' matter.

i know that sounds harsh, but that's real talk from a dawg who is only trying to help.
      I'm not even going to lie I box conservatively in the ring, I've sparred plenty of times. I keep my hands up consistently, I'm really not trying to make an argument or anything I just want to point out I'm constantly working on my form. I constantly catch things I do wrong and correct them over and over, but it comes down to the things I can't even see on a video like reed caught which will clearly show You can't train on your own. I'm very aware both of these videos are filled with bad form. I'm very calm in the ring mainly jabs and combinations when I'm sure i can connect with everything. I was under a trainer for about a good 3 - 4 years before I prioritized working and partying etc.., but I enjoy boxing a lot, and i don't want to stop, If it helps I don't ever believe my form is correct, but in this case I was really talking about physical ability and I was curious if anyone could tell I gotten fat, lol.

I'm also saying this incase any of my old trainer's colleagues peruse the forums, because he trained me ten times better than this.

The only thing I could say is "all me" is my stamina and confidence in sparring.
      I always had a stage fright or anxiety that would calm me (the shakes) so much I couldn't be explosive when I needed, I didn't want to do bad. I hated doing bad, it was ridiculous how I would psyche myself out of performing right.
      To my luck I can't translate what I do on the bag into the ring, for me hitting the bag is literally just an exercise.
      Last edited by Be_kind_rewind; 01-18-2014, 10:19 PM.

Comment

I think the mental aspect is the more serious problem you should work on. On that note i don't think it's smart for you to consciously compare your current shape to your previous shape.

You might think that the anxiety only plays a role when you have to perform, but you have to realize that the anxiety at that point is the end result of a wider line of irrational thought which makes the prize for failure too high.

By comparing these 2 videos you won't actually improve on your current shape. The conclusion on if you are 'worse' or not, interesting choice of words btw, will only function as basis for the question on if you are 'good enough'. It is this wanting to be good enough for your own standards and wanting to be good enough for other people's standards that leads to the fear of failure and the anxiety is something that comes from it.

It wouldn't hurt to try and be aware of the tricks your mind can play on you. When you know which lines of thoughts are nurturing this anxiety and stage fright you've been feeling, you know what to look for and can get the tools to actually do something about them. When you manage that, everything will fall in to place

Anyway, don't mean to lecture or analyze you so if i'm completely off then it's just a general note i suppose. Good luck with everything in any case.
        Last edited by Facade; 01-19-2014, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Wow, I didn't even noticed how my chose of words for the title clearly show my mind state.
          If your objective was to open my mind a little , it has. I think Like a few people mentioned i need to get back in the gym if I want to be happy with the way I box. Fitness and progress will follow along with the right mind state. I swear i did not expect this post to be this helpful, I've gotten better insight from this thread alone then months I went around moping about.

Comment

its because in the second video you were hitting a ufc bag....

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™
              No... You don't look heavier.

I myself put in 12 rounds on the heavybag about 4 times a week, and I know how I feel and what I can do when Im in better shape than not.

When Im just starting back up, or haven't been consistent, Im more like you in your second video... Punches arent in bunches, I dont have bounce in my step, Im more stationary, just going through the motions.

When Im in better shape, Im full of energy, throwing punches doesnt effect me stamina wise, Im moving all over the place etc etc..
              Do you have any bag vids on the forum reed was thinking bout putting one up myself I have in the past and went to a boxing club religiously for couple years but due to transport had to stop but will be back at it soon hopefully,the only thing I have is the bag until I can spar again

Comment

Originally posted by Be_kind_rewind View Post
                holy ****. How in the hell did you catch that? I see what the other guy was saying now. A few days after I recorded myself some kid who has won the golden gloves was telling me something about my right foot but he just wasn't being clear enough , but I see it now.
                Just get in some good pad work with a good trainer (maybe pay for some personal training), and work on completely relaxing and putting a heavy focus on the footwork. The muscle memory will come and you will correct those mistakes.

Comment

Working...
                X