No announcement yet.

Mayweather Fans, I Find This Disturbing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lady Fan View Post
    You know, as a fan of any sport, I do expect some kind of integrity in sports figures. Do you think claims like this is beneficial or good for inspiring young individuals who are interested in this sport or for that matter in any other sport. Don't you think that being a "Champion" of this sport, Mayweather should think of being more of a role model for other boxers and kids coming up to follow? JAT
    U want a boxer to be a role model? For what? I think role models should be mothers, fathers, people in the community, people the kids see everyday. Something that they can truly mold themselves after. Floyd, other athletes, and entertainers are simply entertainers. Let them entertain and you be the role model!

Comment

You know, as a fan of any sport, I do expect some kind of integrity in sports figures. Do you think claims like this is beneficial or good for inspiring young individuals who are interested in this sport or for that matter in any other sport. Don't you think that being a "Champion" of this sport, Mayweather should think of being more of a role model for other boxers and kids coming up to follow? JAT
      Yes it does make sense.

But from what i've figured out and observed, boxing is a totally different mindset than martial arts. Boxing's a durty business. It is a business nonetheless.

IMO, for the kids there should be positive reinforcement.

Take Bernard Hopkins for example. Hopkins vs. Mayweather. (not in a fight, but in contrast with one another)

Hopkins came from the rough streets of Philly and did time. Adequate time i might had, that most people can't handle. When he came out, he flipped his life around. He took something negative and turned it into positive. I'm down with that.

Mayweather? Has he ever lived in a prison cell? Granted, he probably had it rough growning up in Grand Rapids Michigan, but i highly doubt he was a tough street thug like Hopkins.

So there you have it. A seasoned vetern (who is older than Mayweather) turned his life around and changed his perspective for the better. And is helping the image of boxing.

Then you have Mayweather. A self-proclaimed cocky fighter (who's got hella skills i might add...and is fcukin raw) who likes to hype things up a little. His mouth is kinda like a loose cannon, which does draw crowds but in a negative way.

I don't knoe either of them personally, but if i were to take advice between the two, you better believe it'd be Hopkins.

IMO, i think Mayweather's character is the bad guy. That's his image. Ya know? In his career he didn't start out at the bad guy. It kinda progressed as his career got stronger.

What do i know anyways...

Comment

Originally posted by Squabbles94806 View Post
        IMO, i think Mayweather's character is the bad guy. That's his image. Ya know? In his career he didn't start out at the bad guy. It kinda progressed as his career got stronger.

What do i know anyways...
        Defiently,
        I dont think he is a genuine bad person at all,
        its all an act that noticably progressed as he got bigger.
        You will see in ealier interviews he is alot more humble and genuine.
        People buy into the bad guy persona (which is what he wants),
        has previously said boxing is indeed a business

Comment

He didn't say he was better than Sugar Ray Robinson, but he did say he was better than Sugar Ray Leonard. Which he is not...............Leonard is miles away better.

Comment

Throughout Floyd's career, he was always belittled and shot down by the media and many fans for one reason or another. Much of it was his fault as he played the villain role, but later on over the past few years he was looked upon as an underachiever.

It has nothing to do with race. Casual American fans have just lost interest because there is simply not a boxer out there who stands out enough to awestruck the crowd. If you cannot get to the masses that way you need to become a media darling, and Floyd is neither.

Floyd brought a lot of his lack of popularity on to himself and much of it is circumstance and the sign of the times.

When you see Floyd making bold statements like that, that is him just lashing back at "the man" for feeling under appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Axel Bowen-Dale View Post
              The fact you're making a big deal about a fighters self-proclaimed greatness certainly indicates you're a novice not only to the forum, but to boxing.
              Yes, I'm a novice and thanks for pointing that out but take a look at the questions I posed at the start of this thread and give your opinion.
              Last edited by Foodie One; 01-06-2009, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Yes, I'm a novice and thanks for pointing that out but take a look at the questions I posed at the start of this thread and give your opinion.
                you always post derogatory **** about floyd and try to big up pacman..damn did you try to **** floyd and he turned you down..but pacman let you ride his face???? damn he can say what he wants until someone shuts him up

Comment

Originally posted by tredh View Post
                  I was always under the belief that a man can have whatever opinion of himself that he wanted. A opinion is neither right or wrong.

In short F#CK YOUR and everybody else's opinion on how a man thinks of himself.

You really could have choosen a better topic.
                  True. An opinion can not be wrong. However, an opinion is only as good as the facts that back it up. In this case, Floyd does not have the facts to back it up and, therefore, doesn't have a good opinion.

Comment

The comment was probably said out of him feeling "belittled" by the media

Everyone knows that Floyd is not as great as Robinson and probably not as good, but everybody has an opinion

Floyd has an oppurtunity to break into the consensus Top 10 Boxers OAT but Robinson is far out of reach ( And for anybody in the sport at this moment in time, SRR was too good, had too many fights, and his resume is out of this world )

Comment

His legacy is always in question til e beats an elite WW. A Pac fight makes him $ but it won't silence his critics.

Comment

Working...
                      X