Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't Dariusz Michalczewski & RJJ ever fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
    Can you provide a link to a source or video where roy calls him out.
    Here is EXACTLY what Jones said:
    “I'm going to go to HBO Monday and say HBO give me some money and let me go ahead to Germany and make this thing happen with Dariusz Michalczewski, if he wants some”, Jones said after he defended his titles in Miami against Australian Glen Kelly by way of 7th round knockout.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      Michlewski could have been tarver before tarver if you get what im saying
      No he couldn't have. Jones was past it when he fought Tarver. Anyone who loses pure muscle instead of excess fat causes muscle atrophy and it can have long term affects on the health and stability of an athlete and causes aging to take place. Jones ruined himself by dropping down from small heavy to 175. He did not have fat reserves. Comparing prime Jones to this is absurd. And if you are going to use a 3 person analogy, how about saying that DM lost to Jones's leftovers then??? And DM went life and death with Hall, a guy Jones ate for breakfast.

Comment

I can provide a quote from Dariusz Michalczewski where he states that fighting in the U.S wouldn't be a problem - doesn't really mean much though, because they are just words.

Roy Jones was known for making empty claims over who he was going to fight next. I really wouldn't take anything he has to say in that regard seriously at all.

Comment

Originally posted by SlickRickman View Post
          I can provide a quote from Dariusz Michalczewski where he states that fighting in the U.S wouldn't be a problem - doesn't really mean much though, because they are just words.
          But DM was given a chance on ESPN very early in the talks about a potential match with Jones and 1-2 years later on an HBO undercard of Jones and DM declined both. And in the talks where Universum was offering Jones 5 mill, they were giving DM 8-10 mill. Jones was willing to take 50/50 in Germany.
          Last edited by richardt; 01-15-2014, 09:09 PM.

Comment

If I May the answer is simple. Rjj was making money in the USA regardless and dm was a legitimate threat. Both were happy to ignore each other and keep making money, same with JC. Neither wanted Roy an Roy didn't want then either. Unfortunately missed out on superstar status and mayweather/Tyson money by nit fighting any of these. Rjj lack of career defining or even competitive fights ,
            stopped him from being a household name outside of the US.

Comment

Originally posted by drakknoir View Post
              If I May the answer is simple. Rjj was making money in the USA regardless and dm was a legitimate threat. Both were happy to ignore each other and keep making money, same with JC. Neither wanted Roy an Roy didn't want then either. Unfortunately missed out on superstar status and mayweather/Tyson money by nit fighting any of these. Rjj lack of career defining or even competitive fights ,
              stopped him from being a household name outside of the US.
              This is more along the lines of what I believe happened. Roy was making enough money fighting bums on HBO that he didn't need to chase the Dariusz fight.

This whole "Dariusz wouldn't leave Germany" thing is the standard line by Yank fans when referring to foreign fighters who fight at home - well yeah, he didn't leave cos he was making money at home. If he'd been offered a good purse to fight Jones in the US, he might have taken it.

Comment

Dariusz wasn't that dominant, how come he never fought calzaghe?? To say Roy was worried was a complete joke.. He would have embarrassed him. Dariusz only chance was fighting in his country...

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                  This is more along the lines of what I believe happened. Roy was making enough money fighting bums on HBO that he didn't need to chase the Dariusz fight.

This whole "Dariusz wouldn't leave Germany" thing is the standard line by Yank fans when referring to foreign fighters who fight at home - well yeah, he didn't leave cos he was making money at home. If he'd been offered a good purse to fight Jones in the US, he might have taken it.
                  Not true. Jones DID chase a DM fight in Germany and was offered less money by Universum than DM was getting. This was verified by fight new dot com articles from details from both sides, Universum and Square Ring Inc. That means DM did not want to come here and make less that he was making in Germany and Jones did not want to go there and make less money. Peter Klaus turned down $5M for Roy on HBO in the US, to fight Joey De Grandis for $1-1.5M.
                  Last edited by richardt; 01-15-2014, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by richardt View Post
                    I know the answer to this because I followed it closely. At First DM was going to come here to fight David Telesco before Jones did and it was actually a scheduled fight on ESPN and then DM pulled out because he did not like the money ESPN was offering. After I saw the schedule listing, I spoke to Marty Mulchaney who puts up a lot of boxing schedules on the Internet to confirm and he did confirm the fight with Telesco. But again, the money wasn't right from DM's perspective. The goal was to build a USA following and he failed that.

The DM was later offered a fight on a Jones undercard and DM did not think he should have to fight on a Jones undercard which he would have needed for HBO to throw out top dollars to DM and they needed DM to get exposure first. DM declined

Then Murad Muhammed confirmed that Jones Reps went to Germany to try to negotiate a fight and Jones was offered a 5 mill guarantee which was less than the 8-10 Mill that DM would be getting and Jones rightfully wanted it to be a 50/50. Jones made 5 mill right at home against anyone because he had a 5 mill guarantee in his contract with HBO. When Richard Hall was stopped under questionable circumstance because DM was busted up just as bad, Jones became more wary of fighting oversees. He had every right because anyone who loses Olympic Gold to a guy he owned every minute of a fight, would be wary. DM then lost to Julio G and later to Fabrice Tiozzo and Julio G lost to Zolt Erdie.
                    Sounds legit over here fellas.

Comment

Originally posted by richardt View Post
                      Not true. Jones DID chase a DM fight in Germany and was offered less money by Universum than DM was getting. This was verified by fight new dot com articles from details from both sides, Universum and Square Ring Inc. That means DM did not want to come here and make less that he was making in Germany and Jones did not want to go there and make less money. Peter Klaus turned down $5M for Roy on HBO in the US, to fight Joey De Grandis for $1-1.5M.
                      Isn't that basically what I said?

Comment

Working...
                      X