Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Lennox Lewis the Greatest Heavyweight Boxer of All Time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Lennox Lewis the Greatest Heavyweight Boxer of All Time?

In his prime, and in top condition, is Lennox Lewis actually the greatest heavyweight boxer who ever entered the squared circle or do you still consider Ali, or another boxer, somehow greater than Lewis?
    LEWIS is The Greatest Heavyweight Of All Time (in his prime and in condition)
    26.97%
    ALI is The Greatest Heavyweight Of All Time (in his prime and in condition)
    49.44%
    TYSON is The Greatest Heavyweight Of All Time (in his prime and in condition)
    10.11%
    Another fighter is The Greatest Heavyweight Of All Time (see post)
    13.48%

Ali has a greater record, if that's what you're asking.

If you are talking head to head that's entirely subjective.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
      Ali has a greater record, if that's what you're asking.

If you are talking head to head that's entirely subjective.
      I mean in his prime, and in top physical condition, would you consider him the favorite to defeat any other heavyweight.

Comment

No. Resume wise, there's more than a few in front of him.

Skill wise and H2H, he's in my Top 5 for sure. But a prime Ali was not only the greatest Heavyweight ever to me, but one of the greatest fighters ever. He had too much of everything.

But I do think H2H and prime for prime, here's my Top 5.

Ali
        Holyfield
        Holmes
        Lewis
        Foreman

Comment

No, he is not.
          He is definitely Top5 H4H but not the One.

Prime Ali would convincingly beat him on points or even KO him in later rounds. Except raw physical straight I see nothing in Lewis asset matches Ali's.

There are some other fighters that would give him serious trouble including prime Tyson.

Comment

Lewis, to me, came along at a really good time.

It was when Tyson and Holyfield were getting older, and before Wlad and Vitali really came along to be great fighters.

Lewis' could have had the huge huge legacy fight against Riddick Bowe, but it's not Lennox's fault that Bowe straight up refused to fight him. Robbed us of what would have been the biggest HW fight since Ali-Frazier III/Ali-Foreman.

But his career in terms of when he came along was similar to Marciano's to me. In the sense that Marciano came along when Walcott, Charles, and Louis were getting older, and before Patterson and Liston came along to become threats at HW. Still a great fighter and his wins over Walcott and Charles were still good wins considering they were top fighters, but they weren't at their best.

Same with Lewis. His win over Holyfield was a great win, but Holyfield wasn't quite at his best I'd say. He was past his prime-still good though. But the one Lewis gets no credit from me is the Tyson fight. Tyson hadn't won a meaningful fight in like 3-4 years or something by that point.
            Last edited by 4Corners; 08-19-2012, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Comment

I'm going to go with a resounding no.

Comment

nither ali or lennox are the greatest
                  ali is the self proclaimed "greatest"

ali top 5
                  lennox maybe top 15

Comment

Originally posted by revs1227 View Post
                    nither ali or lennox are the greatest
                    ali is the self proclaimed "greatest"

ali top 5
                    lennox maybe top 15
                    ali was the self proclaimed greatest who actually turned out to be the greatest.

Comment

Working...
                    X