No announcement yet.

Magic: "From college, I was trying to figure out how to beat Larry Bird."

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic: "From college, I was trying to figure out how to beat Larry Bird."

Add Magic Johnson's voice to fellow Hall of Famer Michael Jordan's: Neither ever thought of combining forces the way LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh did earlier this month with the Miami Heat.

"We didn't think about it 'cause that's not what we were about," Johnson said at Baruch College in New York, according to Bloomberg News. "From college, I was trying to figure out how to beat Larry Bird."

This past weekend, Jordan said at a celebrity golf event that he never would have played with Johnson or Bird, his two main rivals during his playing days.

"There's no way, with hindsight, I would've ever called up Larry [Bird], called up Magic [Johnson] and said, 'Hey, look, let's get together and play on one team,'" Jordan said after playing in a celebrity golf tournament in Nevada. The interview aired on the NBC telecast of the event. "But that's ... things are different. I can't say that's a bad thing. It's an opportunity these kids have today. In all honesty, I was trying to beat those guys."

Johnson added on Tuesday: "It was never a question in our mind because nobody has ever done that."

Wade re-signed with Miami, while James and Bosh joined the Heat via free agency earlier this month.
    magic agrees with michael

Originally posted by el malo View Post
    magic agrees with michael
    Most people over 30 agree with Michael.

Comment

lebron doesn't want the pressure of having to be in that echelon of players with magic mike and bird. he doesn't want it anymore. dude is 25 and his hairline is going prime jerry rice on his ass.

Comment

leave Lebron Pippen alone

Comment

Originally posted by Makavelli View Post
          leave Lebron Pippen alone
          hahahahahahahaha

dont insult pippen

Comment

Wade's legacy will be better than LeBron's. He didn't had to leave his team, Bron and Bosh chose to joined him. I'm not sure who would reject Bosh and LeBron if they were to join their team.

Comment

That's because those guys were straight up competitors to the max.

Comment

I don't know what to think about Lebron's position.

He is going to age fast. And I think I read he said he worried about being 31, on Cleveland, and in the end, having bad knees and no rings to go with it.

He couldn't got to Chicago because he would have always been in the shadow of Jordan.

He couldn't go to NY because NY is ****. Let's be honest. It very expensive, STD haven, and the Knicks suck. And playing in the "Garden" is overrated. Yeah, maybe 20+ years ago...but Madonna was hot 25+ years ago to. How does she look now?

The Nets were an option but it is still the Nets. Two years away from going to Brooklyn, maybe. And you would still be in Brooklyn. No offense. It's not Miami. And who knows how long it will take to build that team up to win within the next few years when Lebron needs to win now.

Where else?

He could have went to Orlando I guess. Not sure on the money. But the coach, well, remember Shaq..."I know for a fact that he's a master of panic, and when it gets time for his team to go in the postseason and do certain things, he will let them down because of his panic."

And Cleveland, well, he is stuck with that team for the most part, nobody really wants to go there; and the owner proved to be an ass.

So, his best bet was to win now, pile up those rings, and when he is a free-agent, I guess at 31 or so...see if there is a team ready to win but needs that extra piece. Then try to win "on his own" which is complete bull**** because you can't win on your own. It's a team sport.

As far as MJ, he was in Chicago. He ended up getting a great coach, system, and a great support team. Lebron didn't have that. So nobody really knows what he would have done if he were in a deadlock situation.

But as far as MJ and comparing today's players...without a doubt is more Alpha-Male than both Lebron and Kobe. And throw in just about every player that is playing now.

MJ would be feared today. And in his time, had players that were willing to push him to the ground hard. Soft game today.

Comment

Originally posted by P4P305 View Post
                  Wade's legacy will be better than LeBron's. He didn't had to leave his team, Bron and Bosh chose to joined him. I'm not sure who would reject Bosh and LeBron if they were to join their team.
                  Wade didn't have to leave because he is in MIAMI with a Great Mind in Pat Riley. No **** he didn't have to leave.

Wade needs Lebron and Bosh just as much as those two needed him. If Wade thought he didn't need them, he would have made sure they didn't come to Miami.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post
                    I don't know what to think about Lebron's position.

He is going to age fast. And I think I read he said he worried about being 31, on Cleveland, and in the end, having bad knees and no rings to go with it.

He couldn't got to Chicago because he would have always been in the shadow of Jordan.

He couldn't go to NY because NY is ****. Let's be honest. It very expensive, STD haven, and the Knicks suck. And playing in the "Garden" is overrated. Yeah, maybe 20+ years ago...but Madonna was hot 25+ years ago to. How does she look now?

The Nets were an option but it is still the Nets. Two years away from going to Brooklyn, maybe. And you would still be in Brooklyn. No offense. It's not Miami. And who knows how long it will take to build that team up to win within the next few years when Lebron needs to win now.

Where else?

He could have went to Orlando I guess. Not sure on the money. But the coach, well, remember Shaq..."I know for a fact that he's a master of panic, and when it gets time for his team to go in the postseason and do certain things, he will let them down because of his panic."

And Cleveland, well, he is stuck with that team for the most part, nobody really wants to go there; and the owner proved to be an ass.

So, his best bet was to win now, pile up those rings, and when he is a free-agent, I guess at 31 or so...see if there is a team ready to win but needs that extra piece. Then try to win "on his own" which is complete bull**** because you can't win on your own. It's a team sport.

As far as MJ, he was in Chicago. He ended up getting a great coach, system, and a great support team. Lebron didn't have that. So nobody really knows what he would have done if he were in a deadlock situation.

But as far as MJ and comparing today's players...without a doubt is more Alpha-Male than both Lebron and Kobe. And throw in just about every player that is playing now.

MJ would be feared today. And in his time, had players that were willing to push him to the ground hard. Soft game today.
                    i agree

no more handchecks

Comment

Working...
                    X