No announcement yet.

Some of my sparring videos over the years

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
    Nice slipping skills and good short hooks. What's your height?
    Around 5'7. I'm revamping my style the next time I fight or spar, though.

Comment

Originally posted by VERSATILE2K12 View Post
      I see a lot of people asking how to get inside someone that throws a lot or jabs. (short people) I can help as much as I can; so if you need advice you can hit me up. A little advice is better than none. Showing and telling is better than just telling.

looking like lil tyson up int here! lol good ***** man.
      i saw the last vid of this post. that south paw was nice but got dropped lol. towards the end he eat up that right hand but was not fully recored good on camera

Comment

Watch out Rockin will come in here and tell you you're ****

Comment

Originally posted by supRa View Post
          looking like lil tyson up int here! lol good ***** man.
          i saw the last vid of this post. that south paw was nice but got dropped lol. towards the end he eat up that right hand but was not fully recored good on camera
          Yeah he's a cool dude. I'm trying to get him to spar me again but he's afraid. I honestly don't go 70% when I spar so it wasn't on purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by VERSATILE2K12 View Post
            Around 5'7. I'm revamping my style the next time I fight or spar, though.
            I'm also a little on the short side. I like it when it comes to fighting though, unless you're against someone who really knows how to work from range.

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
              I'm also a little on the short side. I like it when it comes to fighting though, unless you're against someone who really knows how to work from range.
              I've sparred a lot that know how to keep that range. The dude in the white shirt and cup in the video at the gym with the red ring does it great on me. Really fluid. It helps that he's a poo also. Haha

Comment

Heres ome critizisms for you to consider! Your very squared off all over the ring if your stepping to your opponent or away your squared. With your opponents back to the ropes your squared right in front of him which means your balance is very poor in that stance. When your opponent goes to the ropes step in and punch in combination and end with a body punch to get him to bend over a little then step to which ever side you can punch best at. You want him bent over because theres less chance of him moving away. You want to be on your side for defensive positioning plus offensive positioning to get off combinations and hopefull catch the guy in a profile that opens the side of his jaw.
                Thats Cus D'Amato training that Tyson was taught as a kid, you don't stand in front of anyone especially squared away!!!
                You also lift up when you punch!! Your head comes up about 10 inches taller and you don't finish your punches enough. You need to finish off your punches with the proper mvement depending on what your throwing.
                Squaring off is a huge fault in your style and the raising up can be seen by your opponent and is an easy set up against you. I understand you need to come up to be able to gain power to throw so incorperate the upward position into your movemeny as Tyson did when he worked side to side for upper body movement not just staying low when you move in. Staying low all the time will force you to "launch" your punches ala Joe Frazier and those moves are dangerous against a dangerous opponent.
                These are two faults I see plainly in watching your vids, go to the mirror and work on these things and shaddow in the ring after you adjust in the mirror. Some hand pad work can help you from squaring off to much and concentrating on your left shoulder being first is important. Faults are small against non experienced opponents, a pro with seasoning will see these things right away and thats when they become faults with consequences.

Do you have spar partners that are more experienced then you? You always need quality sparring to get better & better. If you don't where you are and your serious about boxing you need to go find it!!! You and your trainer need a roadtrip once a week to get the best work you can find. Good luck you look to be in shape and you look game. Those are the first two things you must have, condition & be Willing! Ray Corso

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  Heres ome critizisms for you to consider! Your very squared off all over the ring if your stepping to your opponent or away your squared. With your opponents back to the ropes your squared right in front of him which means your balance is very poor in that stance. When your opponent goes to the ropes step in and punch in combination and end with a body punch to get him to bend over a little then step to which ever side you can punch best at. You want him bent over because theres less chance of him moving away. You want to be on your side for defensive positioning plus offensive positioning to get off combinations and hopefull catch the guy in a profile that opens the side of his jaw.
                  Thats Cus D'Amato training that Tyson was taught as a kid, you don't stand in front of anyone especially squared away!!!
                  You also lift up when you punch!! Your head comes up about 10 inches taller and you don't finish your punches enough. You need to finish off your punches with the proper mvement depending on what your throwing.
                  Squaring off is a huge fault in your style and the raising up can be seen by your opponent and is an easy set up against you. I understand you need to come up to be able to gain power to throw so incorperate the upward position into your movemeny as Tyson did when he worked side to side for upper body movement not just staying low when you move in. Staying low all the time will force you to "launch" your punches ala Joe Frazier and those moves are dangerous against a dangerous opponent.
                  These are two faults I see plainly in watching your vids, go to the mirror and work on these things and shaddow in the ring after you adjust in the mirror. Some hand pad work can help you from squaring off to much and concentrating on your left shoulder being first is important. Faults are small against non experienced opponents, a pro with seasoning will see these things right away and thats when they become faults with consequences.

Do you have spar partners that are more experienced then you? You always need quality sparring to get better & better. If you don't where you are and your serious about boxing you need to go find it!!! You and your trainer need a roadtrip once a week to get the best work you can find. Good luck you look to be in shape and you look game. Those are the first two things you must have, condition & be Willing! Ray Corso
                  Appreciate the words you know what you're talking about but in all those videos I'm working on particular things besides the ones when I knocked down 2 of the guys. I did square up a lot but some of those videos are 7 years old. I'm usually in there to help them; hence why I don't have much speed on my punches and I back up if I hit them a little hard I think or I hurt them. And I tend to move around a lot just to get them to come after me. As a short guy, I shouldn't be able to hit you and move around, that's their job.

The last time I've sparred was a little over a year ago. In the past 2 years, I've sparred about 25 times? All that's changing now and my style is revamped. And yeah, sometimes I have quality sparring partners at times. I've sparred with national amateur runner ups, national champions, former world champions in professional, belt holders. Hard to get sparring sometimes but I do what I can.
                  The times I'm going full on sparring I don't have video of as much. But here's one of my fights so you can see...

Comment

Good stuff!
                    Thanks for sharing

Comment

Your style won't be accepted on a international level and even in the states you can get a million warnings in a round for your lowered head! I went through this same thing with Mike Tyson in the J.O regional & national tourny. I was the region one team coach and Mike was on my tean for 2 years. He stopped everyone in the J.O's but in the open class he was not getting any breaks by the officials who knew he'd be punished by the rules so Henry Tillman usually got the nod and Henry actually beat him straight up a few times, he was good.
                      I know you've been told to stay low but it hurts your jab delivery as I said if you can work on your side to side quick upper body moves then fire when your up you'd do better with your jab. You could also double jab to score/ get closer/ and get off combinations because you've "cut the distance" alot. As a shorter fighter you can't get caught reaching so you need quick accurate jabs with quick accurate steps that get your distance perfect for shots!! The kid in the video needed a first round of body shots so by the second round other than him running you'd be reaching his head easier!! Don't negate your jab, in Cus's style the jab is issued just as much as in a movers style. Jabs unlock the doors to get your feet up and in to land more meaningfull shots. I know your style very well, not just from working with Cus's fighters but thats how I fought when I had a runner. Take center ring cut it half use lots of faints and punch his shoulders out of place (their easy to reach) hahaha!! I'm a firm believer in heart shots, solar, shoulders, bisceps etc not everything is a head shot if you can punch hit the guy anywhere. He'll know you could punch so you got him on the defense already. Things will get easier once you let the guy feel fast hard shots that land anywhere. To many guys look to pin point right away thats not smart just make the guy feel you and then look in his eyes. You'll know!! good luck be first!! Ray

Comment

Working...
                      X