Liston is a disgraceful cheat.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liston is a disgraceful cheat.

He is as bad as Margarito and Resto.

He blinded Muhammad Ali in their fight and Bert Sugar can recall at least 2 other occassons where he did this to his opponent. Its highly probable that he used this technique for multiple fights also.

I see alot of people on this forum are full of praise for him yet criticise Margarito as a cheat. Double standards or what, it seems people give Liston a pass on this because of his boxing ability. Doesnt change the fact hes a cheat.

Obviously it would have been his trainer administering the substance. If Liston was aware of this, then yes I'd agree with you.

The wierd thing is, the only time this appeared to happen when Liston was in a degree of trouble was in the first Ali fight.......and to be honest, when Liston saw that Ali was in trouble in round 5, he didn't really press the issue like he could have. He banged in a few body punches but he really could have taken advantage, Ali's eyes were terrible!

He might not have been that bad after all!

Comment

Hey Guys I am new here ..So first of all Hi

Now back to the question sorry Sugraj,Liston was having trouble with Williams...and he didnt press against Ali because he couldnt get near him, he tried hard but basically Ali was on a bicycle. I still know that the first fight was supposed to be so suspicious , that they had trouble getting license for the second. I wont say he was disgraceful cheat. But against Williams, he was not exactly setting the stage on Fire when that happened.

And to the creator of this thread will you call Jersey Joe Walcott a cheat too? Apparently Marciano faced the same problem with him in his first fight.

Comment

YABT: Yet Another Bait Thread

Comment

Mayweather beats women... Now head off to NSB, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
            Hey Guys I am new here ..So first of all Hi

Now back to the question sorry Sugraj,Liston was having trouble with Williams...and he didnt press against Ali because he couldnt get near him, he tried hard but basically Ali was on a bicycle. I still know that the first fight was supposed to be so suspicious , that they had trouble getting license for the second. I wont say he was disgraceful cheat. But against Williams, he was not exactly setting the stage on Fire when that happened.

And to the creator of this thread will you call Jersey Joe Walcott a cheat too? Apparently Marciano faced the same problem with him in his first fight.

Hi Greatest1942,

Although I have the Williams fights on film, I didn't recall the liniment substance being an issue. As good a fight as Williams put up both times I didn't think Liston was ever really in trouble. The next time that I dig them out I'll watch out for it.

As for Ali 1, round 5. To be honest Ali wasn't anywhere near as fleet of foot as he was in round 1. I remember it well, Liston crowding, throwing body shots much more than head, Ali holding his left hand out keeping distance despite the lack of vision. I really think Liston deliberately let Ali off the hook a little here, he saw the kid was in trouble with his eyes and didn't turn into the cowardly bully. Respect to Liston here, he took quite a battering from Ali in round six for missing his moment. maybe I'm wrong, its just how I see it.

And welcome to the site, its good to deal with keen boxing historians.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
              Obviously it would have been his trainer administering the substance. If Liston was aware of this, then yes I'd agree with you.
              Liston obviously knew what was up. Just like Margarito knew Capetillo was loading his gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayweather_ View Post
                Liston obviously knew what was up. Just like Margarito knew Capetillo was loading his gloves.
                Liston has been dead for 40 years, but you're sure what he knew?

Comment

Hi Sugraj, Liston had a great chin and it would have been very difficult for Williams to knock him out. IN the first round he gave hell to Liston. After 1st round , Liston later recalled that , he sat on his stool and said to himself "to beat me , he would have to do that for 11 more rounds and I dont think he can keep it up". That sounds like the words of a man who knew he had been bested in that round.

Secondly Liston at his prime I believe would have given Ali hell. I dont believe (even when viewing the first round destruction of Floyd Patterson) that the old man who fought Ali was anywhere near close to his prime. Liston never trained for the ALi fight properly, he was in no shape. By the time Ali's eyes got blind he was probably ( I still think it was a fair fight) already gassed. In the sixth Liston when he saw Ali was okay could not throw much resistance as he got a shellacking from Ali.

Liston gets a lot of flak for getting beat to ALi, but thats what has happened in boxing all these years the old being beaten by a hungry young new comer.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                    YABT: Yet Another Bait Thread
                    http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=424200

Hmmmmmmm.

Comment

Working...
                    X