Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was Ray Robinson at 5'11 doing at welterweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
    what is celestino caballero @ 5'10" doin @ super bantamweight?
    yea it was a damn bad thread, i completely forgot about williams and the other lanky bastards

Comment

What he was doing was fighting all-time great welterweights 5'11 Kid Gavilan and 5'10 Fritzie Zivic as well as very good ones such as 6 feet tall George Costner and 5'11 Jackie Wilson.

Not to mention that he fought numerous times above welterweight throughout his career even before he officially won the middleweight title.

Robinson started as a lightweight by the way and won a non-title bout over lightweight champion Sammy Angott.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
        What he was doing was fighting all-time great welterweights 5'11 Kid Gavilan and 5'10 Fritzie Zivic as well as very good ones such as 6 feet tall George Costner and 5'11 Jackie Wilson.

Not to mention that he fought numerous times above welterweight throughout his career even before he officially won the middleweight title.

Robinson started as a lightweight by the way and won a non-title bout over lightweight champion Sammy Angott.
        in the pro's? not sure about that

Comment

Originally posted by tehMatrix View Post
          skinny ray? i dunno, he did aight against welters, i'd say him and tito would be a good match but i just dont see how he'd beat jones, what does he have on jones at 160? speed? power? accuracy?
          He did aight against welters? Really now just aight? Hmm ok...

Tito is my favorite fighter of all time Ray destroys him.

Was Jones such a beast at 160 that he couldn't beat the greatest MW of all time. I mean how did Jones do at 160 against beast very good fighters like Julian Jackson, Mike McCallum, Gerald McClellan?

Comment

in the pro's? not sure about that
            Yea he did his first like 25 fights was at the lightweight limit. The greatest knows his history. Ray Robinson was a beast he is the G.O.A.T I don't know why you can't see that?

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
              Yea he did his first like 25 fights was at the lightweight limit. The greatest knows his history. Ray Robinson was a beast he is the G.O.A.T I don't know why you can't see that?
              i never said he was'nt the GOAT, i know he's great fighting guys 20 pounds heavier than him alot of times too, he outboxed everyone

just try stick to the subject cuz i never said he was'nt the best of all
              but him being the bast of all also has alot to do with his accomplishment
              does'nt mean he's unbeatable

Was Jones such a beast at 160 that he couldn't beat the greatest MW of all time. I mean how did Jones do at 160 against beast very good fighters like Julian Jackson, Mike McCallum, Gerald McClellan?
              your not making much sense here, rephrase please

Comment

Originally posted by RelliK View Post
                Why?????????

Why would Robinson dominate Jones?
                I mean Royd didn't show me nothing really special as a MW. A very green Hopkins fought evenly with Roy for the last 8rds. And, that was a very green Hopkins. Ray Robinson against Roy at MW? It would be easy work for Ray. If a green B-Hop could give Roy trouble. A 10x more skilled Ray would of beat Roy. Jones might have a chance on beat Ray at 175. But, not at middleweight.

Comment

just looked up anglott-robinson and ray weighed 144 and a half

Comment

lol throwing that big l rap in there haaha......

Comment

i never said he was'nt the GOAT, i know he's great fighting guys 20 pounds heavier than him alot of times too, he outboxed everyone

just try stick to the subject cuz i never said he was'nt the best of all
                      but him being the bast of all also has alot to do with his accomplishment
                      does'nt mean he's unbeatable

your not making much sense here, rephrase please
                      Ray in his 20's and first 135 fights was as close to being unbeatable as you can get.

We don't how good Jones was as a MW cuz we never saw him fight against a very good fighters that were around in his weightclass. The best fighter Roy fought at 160 was a very green Hopkins. And, B-Hop fought even with Jones in the last 8rds. If you don't think Robinson could do better than a very green Hopkins at 160 then either you are really underrating Robinson or really overrated Jones.

Comment

Working...
                      X