Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacquiao Is Code Name As Steward's Target Is Roach

Pacquiao is code name as Steward's target is Roach
    August 7, 12:15 PM NY Boxing Examiner Michael Marley

I’ve known Manny Steward for three decades now.

Steward, who was the force behind the Kronk Gym spawning ground for Thomas Hearns and so many other world champions, is a talented trainer and can be an affable companion.

When the red wine flows, Steward’s anecdotes become mesmerizing.

I like Emmanuel, I really do. He’s a solid boxing man through and through.

But it’s no secret that Steward often speaks of having “cash flow” problems.

This Manny likes la dolce vita, particularly wine, women and song. Can’t begrudge him that as every man must have some hobbies.

He’s also got an ego the size of the cavernous Silverdome in Pontiac, Mich., not too far from his Motown stomping grounds.

I surmise that what’s ailing the Goldfather right now is not swine flu but a malady which is running rampant among trainers.

It’s called Roachitis and it starts to itch when his competitors see all the fame, fortune and accolades flowing to Manny Pacquiao trainer Coach Freddie Roach.

As an HBO commentator, I think Steward is excellent but it must disturb him that Roach is now generally considered the game’s top trainer/teacher.

This jealousy is underlined by Steward’s persistent effort to get hired by WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto. At first, Steward went hat in hand to promoter Bob Arum hoping to get recommended to the Cotto camp by the Top Rank paymaster.

That was his first mistake as Cotto still looks cockeyed at Arum over, first, his strident defense of handwrap cheater and Cotto conqueror Antonio Margarito and, second, over Arum’s obvious favoritism for cash cow Pacquiao.

Arum took a knee and signaled for a fair catch.

As someone who is rightly labeled an attention ho, I should probably look in my Johnny Mathis mirror but now Steward has taken his hire me campaign to a louder level.

Steward used Puerto Rican newpspaer Primera Hora as his soapbox:

“Up until now, nobody has communicated with me [from Cotto's camp], but I would love to be able to have the opportunity to work with Miguel. If we reach an agreement, I don't have any doubts that Miguel would knock Pacquiao out.

“I am of the few people who gives Miguel a big shot to win that fight by boxing. Miguel is perhaps the best boxer to go to the body. I have seen some as many things that can improve and I know that he can knock Pacquiao out."

"Miguel is one of the few boxers that I would love to work with if they gave me the opportunity. I am a great admirer of Miguel because he never refuses to fight against the best."

"No other boxer would have accepted that fight (with Joshua Clottey), much less continue (fighting) with an injury like that. Miguel does not get the credit that he deserves and I know that a lot people do not give him a shot at beating Pacquiao, but I do.”

These are bold words especially coming from a guy who once called up me nervously and wanted to take back some critical comments about Pacquaio being weak defensively.

It wasn’t alienating Pacman or his Pacfanatics that Steward was concerned about he told me.
    No, Steward thought ripping Pacquiao even mildly might rock the boat for him at HBO.
    So Steward second guessed his own remarks.

This is the same guy who analyzed Ricky Hatton as being "too strong" for the Tiny Pinoy. Steward then ate crow, with no salt or pepper, when Pacquiao dusted Hatton off like an old broom.

Now nothing is sotto voce. Now Steward has a megaphone and shouts from the rooftops.
    I’m the Manny who knows how to beat Manny, Steward claims.

It’s not beating Pacquiao that is Steward’s true goal.

It’s bashing Roach who has turned out to be a lot more than Flavor of the Month as a trainer of champions.

Steward wants his crown back and destroying Pacquiao/Roach is how he thinks he can do it.

So, every time, you hear or read Steward mention the name of Pacquiao, just block it out.

Pacquiao is the cover name.

Steward’s target is Coach Roach.

What ails Steward is Roachitis.

The only known cure would be to defeat Pacquiao.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-5...arget-is-Roach

Originally posted by Lady Fan 2 View Post
    Pacquiao is code name as Steward's target is Roach
    August 7, 12:15 PM NY Boxing Examiner Michael Marley

I’ve known Manny Steward for three decades now.

Steward, who was the force behind the Kronk Gym spawning ground for Thomas Hearns and so many other world champions, is a talented trainer and can be an affable companion.

When the red wine flows, Steward’s anecdotes become mesmerizing.

I like Emmanuel, I really do. He’s a solid boxing man through and through.

But it’s no secret that Steward often speaks of having “cash flow” problems.

This Manny likes la dolce vita, particularly wine, women and song. Can’t begrudge him that as every man must have some hobbies.

He’s also got an ego the size of the cavernous Silverdome in Pontiac, Mich., not too far from his Motown stomping grounds.

I surmise that what’s ailing the Goldfather right now is not swine flu but a malady which is running rampant among trainers.

It’s called Roachitis and it starts to itch when his competitors see all the fame, fortune and accolades flowing to Manny Pacquiao trainer Coach Freddie Roach.

As an HBO commentator, I think Steward is excellent but it must disturb him that Roach is now generally considered the game’s top trainer/teacher.

This jealousy is underlined by Steward’s persistent effort to get hired by WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto. At first, Steward went hat in hand to promoter Bob Arum hoping to get recommended to the Cotto camp by the Top Rank paymaster.

That was his first mistake as Cotto still looks cockeyed at Arum over, first, his strident defense of handwrap cheater and Cotto conqueror Antonio Margarito and, second, over Arum’s obvious favoritism for cash cow Pacquiao.

Arum took a knee and signaled for a fair catch.

As someone who is rightly labeled an attention ho, I should probably look in my Johnny Mathis mirror but now Steward has taken his hire me campaign to a louder level.

Steward used Puerto Rican newpspaer Primera Hora as his soapbox:

“Up until now, nobody has communicated with me [from Cotto's camp], but I would love to be able to have the opportunity to work with Miguel. If we reach an agreement, I don't have any doubts that Miguel would knock Pacquiao out.

“I am of the few people who gives Miguel a big shot to win that fight by boxing. Miguel is perhaps the best boxer to go to the body. I have seen some as many things that can improve and I know that he can knock Pacquiao out."

"Miguel is one of the few boxers that I would love to work with if they gave me the opportunity. I am a great admirer of Miguel because he never refuses to fight against the best."

"No other boxer would have accepted that fight (with Joshua Clottey), much less continue (fighting) with an injury like that. Miguel does not get the credit that he deserves and I know that a lot people do not give him a shot at beating Pacquiao, but I do.”

These are bold words especially coming from a guy who once called up me nervously and wanted to take back some critical comments about Pacquaio being weak defensively.

It wasn’t alienating Pacman or his Pacfanatics that Steward was concerned about he told me.
    No, Steward thought ripping Pacquiao even mildly might rock the boat for him at HBO.
    So Steward second guessed his own remarks.

This is the same guy who analyzed Ricky Hatton as being "too strong" for the Tiny Pinoy. Steward then ate crow, with no salt or pepper, when Pacquiao dusted Hatton off like an old broom.

Now nothing is sotto voce. Now Steward has a megaphone and shouts from the rooftops.
    I’m the Manny who knows how to beat Manny, Steward claims.

It’s not beating Pacquiao that is Steward’s true goal.

It’s bashing Roach who has turned out to be a lot more than Flavor of the Month as a trainer of champions.

Steward wants his crown back and destroying Pacquiao/Roach is how he thinks he can do it.

So, every time, you hear or read Steward mention the name of Pacquiao, just block it out.

Pacquiao is the cover name.

Steward’s target is Coach Roach.

What ails Steward is Roachitis.

The only known cure would be to defeat Pacquiao.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-5...arget-is-Roach

another thread cotto nuthuggers will get jealous of

Comment

i'm sorry, i'm still on the title. what?

Comment

Steward has been known as a pac-nonbeliever since the beginning of pactime.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoetoe View Post
          i'm sorry, i'm still on the title. what?
          i know.

Comment

Pacquiao Is Code Name As Steward's Target Is Roach

ummm... is this code??? you know proof reading would help... haha the more i read it the the funnier this **** is..hahaha someone actually posted this hahahha WTF does this mean? ROFL!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X