Collapse
No announcement yet.

should freddie roach train yuriokis gamboa

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roach will do a good job with him IMO. Yuri is fast on his feet but the key is where to go before and after a punch and how to feint effectively. Much like what he did for PAC. Yuri is an even better position coz he already have power in both hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      I think it would be a good fit.. Roach does good we explosive fighters like yuri
      I'm sorry but Roach is not a good fit for fighters with bad chins. Amir Khan is one example.

Comment

Originally posted by damit305 View Post
        Peter Diaz is not a bad trainer. I'd still go with Roach, Gamboa would get more exposure simply by being at the Wild Card as well.
        This makes no sense, Just because a fighter trains at wild card doesn't mean they will get exposure. Andy Ruiz and Lateef Kayode I believe are trained by freddie roach. All Kayode ever got was Tarver and all Ruiz is known for is looking like Chris Arreola's Identical twin brother

Comment

No he needs a trainer who focuses on defensive fundamentals

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
            No he needs a trainer who focuses on defensive fundamentals
            Exactly. No one seems to understand that. People must have forgotten about what Garcia did to Amir Khan.

Comment

he's offensive minded, he should train with freddie

Comment

I don't think Freddie Roach is a good fit for Gamboa, I think a spanish speaking trainer who will hold him accountable for not listening to instructions is what he needs. Gamboa just has to fight smarter, reason he gets knocked down so much is off counters from throwing wild haymakers. It's not smart on his part.

Comment

Hiring Freddie and dropping down to 130 or 126 would do wonders for his career at this point.

People think a guy like Gamboa, with as many fights as he's had (amateur, Olympic and pro), is just going to change overnight and become a defensive fighter. No, that's not going to happen, he needs somebody like Roach who won't try to change him but focus on who he is as a fighter and work on his strengths.

Comment

I have an even better suggestion for Yuri, how about he moves back down to his natural weight class and fights guys his own size.

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
                      Yes, I was thinking Roach would be a perfect fit.

Teaching an offensive fighter defense is not the cure, never has been. Very rarely do we see a fighter all of sudden learn a defensive approach in the middle of their career..

Cautious offense is much more well suited. Get back to basics. Gamboa needs someone to tell him that he doesn't need to jump in with high risk to get his punches off. He's more than capable, as seen in the early rounds of the fight.

Gamboa needs someone who will cater to his offensive style in a methodical manner, which is Roach. Freddie will give him the best tools to be successful with his offense.

As much hate as Roach gets on here, there's a brilliant method to his madness.
                      Pretty much this.

Comment

Working...
                      X