The King's Speech triumphs at the Baftas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The King's Speech triumphs at the Baftas

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12432378

So I'm yet to see The King's Speech and to be honest I am not that fussed about seeing it judging from the trailer. I have seen The Social Network and Inception, though, and thought were both damn good films, yet this British film about a monarch with a stammer has beaten them to the top award at Britian's version of the Oscars.

Natalie Portman won best actress, while Firth picked up best actor for his role in The King's Speech.

So, has anyone seen it? and are the rave reviews warranted?

I've seen it, I thought it was good. Also really liked Inception and The Social Network.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan... View Post
      I've seen it, I thought it was good. Also really liked Inception and The Social Network.
      It struck me as the kind of film your mother should be going to see, if you know what I'm saying. As I said, I am just going off the trailer, though. Where would you rank it with regards to the three films mentioned?

Comment

Originally posted by The Monk View Post
        It struck me as the kind of film your mother should be going to see, if you know what I'm saying. As I said, I am just going off the trailer, though. Where would you rank it with regards to the three films mentioned?
        I would rank it third, but its still a very good film. The acting is top notch from all of them.

Its not a fast-paced film full of rubbish. If you like Transformers and garbage like that then this would not be your thing. I like this type of film though and I typically like British films in general.

Its not just a character movie focusing on the one individual. It also gives a pretty good insight into just how absurd those times were, particularly with the abdication and the start of the war. Firth was top class, I don't think that role would have been very easy to play.

Comment

Didnt see it, but its typical Oscar bait. Firth will win best actor even though eisenberg should probably win.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
            Didnt see it, but its typical Oscar bait. Firth will win best actor even though eisenberg should probably win.
            Having seen both and preferring TSN, I think it would be ridiculous if Eisenberg won it over Firth. See both films then make a judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan... View Post
              Having seen both and preferring TSN, I think it would be ridiculous if Eisenberg won it over Firth. See both films then make a judgment.
              I'am jumping the gun on that, but this seems like the typical movie that gets all the awards and oscar love.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
                I'am jumping the gun on that, but this seems like the typical movie that gets all the awards and oscar love.
                Yeah, it is, but does that necessarily make it bad?

I thought The Hurt Locker was one of those films, but I really enjoyed that one as well.

Having said that I would have enjoyed it if a really commercial movie like TSN won Best Picture. That would have been good.

Comment

Working...
                X