No announcement yet.

Aussie Domestic Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie Domestic Thread

Thought I'd create this thread for discussions on the domestic scene. There's plenty of decent guys coming up through the ranks who deserve some discussion.

Tomorrow night there's a card happening with a few of the more recognizable names of Aussie boxing. Foxsports will be televising it from 7.30pm. There's some serious talent on display.

Vic Darchinyan fights on Australian soil for the first time since 2007. It'll be his second challenge at a Bantamweight title (albeit only IBO) against Philippino Eric Barcelona. Barcelona has quite a few losses, but I wouldn't describe him as a complete bum. Hope it's an entertaining fight.

Will Tomlinson and Willie Kickett also return to the ring as well as Naoufel Ben Rabah.
    Last edited by Philfy; 05-19-2010, 12:13 AM.

Yeah I'll be watching that card for sure, should be good.

Comment

Poor Will Tomlinson can't seem to catch a break with his opponents. Esperenza was hanging on for dear life. Shame the ref had to stop it for excessive holding, I think Will would've stopped him eventually. Ugly fight to watch. Don't be suprised if Will Tomlinson is fighting for an IBO super-featherweight title soon.

Mostyn Niemann looked impressive on debut, stopping his opponent with some solid left rips to the body. He'll be tough to beat at cruiserweight.

I laughed so hard when Willie Filipe knocked out Andre Popovic. For those who didn't see it, Popovic did the old Nate Campbell "hit me, hit me" and Felipe hammered him. He managed to get back to his feet, but didn't want a bar of the fight after that. I have no idea what he was thinking.

Darchinyan looked ok in his fight, not fantastic though. Barcelona's best punch seemed to be anything below the belt. He whacked Vic so many times. Love to see Vic get another big fight at Bantamweight in the near future.

Kickett and Ben Rabah both looked solid against their respective opponents. Ben Rabah needs to step it up though, he is clearly a class above the domestic circuit. He'll probably try and avenge his loss to lovemore N'dou, though I think N'dou has slipped a fair bit.

Comment

Agree with all of that mate. That Popovic KO was hilarious. What a clown.

I thought the ref was ridiculous in stopping that Tomlinson fight though. Just completely unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan... View Post
          Agree with all of that mate. That Popovic KO was hilarious. What a clown.

I thought the ref was ridiculous in stopping that Tomlinson fight though. Just completely unnecessary.
          co-sign bro.....

half a round to go in the fight and he DQ's the guy for excessive clinching?? ****ing Aussie refs piss me off

at the Popovic KO....funny ****e

Apparently the entire Parra Eels Squad were in the crowd.

Comment

Fights on Fox tonight guys:

Alex Leapai v Owen Beck
            Ryan Langham v Josh King
            Casey Hannan v Rey Anton Olarte
            Shannon King v David Bainbridge
            John Szigeti v Oscar Talemaira
            Anthony Fowler v Steve Welge
            Tyrone Jones v Grant Kraaymaart

Hopefully Leapai can put in another solid performance against a decent opponent. Interestingly Fightbet has Leapai at $1.05 and Beck at $8.00. I think the fight will be a bit closer than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Philfy View Post
              Fights on Fox tonight guys:

Alex Leapai v Owen Beck
              Ryan Langham v Josh King
              Casey Hannan v Rey Anton Olarte
              Shannon King v David Bainbridge
              John Szigeti v Oscar Talemaira
              Anthony Fowler v Steve Welge
              Tyrone Jones v Grant Kraaymaart

Hopefully Leapai can put in another solid performance against a decent opponent. Interestingly Fightbet has Leapai at $1.05 and Beck at $8.00. I think the fight will be a bit closer than that.
              Yeah, those odds are absolutely ridiculous. Beck has been in with some pretty decent guys.

Comment

Not only has Beck been in with some decent guys (Barrett, Austin, Valuev, Thompson) he's not a bad boxer for a big guy. I've just been watching a few of his fights on youtube.

He's actually got nice head movement and a decent jab. I'd almost say he's kinda slick. He looks quite capable of outboxing Leapai.

You've convinced me Dan, at that price, I'm going to throw a few dollars down on Beck for the win. War Owen!

Comment

I like Leapai, but those $8 odds are damn attractive in a two horse race. A cheeky tenner perhaps.

Comment

who won the beck\leapai fight?

Comment

Working...
                    X