No announcement yet.

Should Khan move up to 147?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Khan move up to 147?

I know it's not the conventional view, but I wonder if Khan's actually outgrown 140 now and so he has to compromise in physical areas. For example, in the Garcia fight, Khan looked top heavy but his legs look very skinny. It's like he's not equally balanced from the top half to the bottom half.

We saw after he got beat by Prescott, he immediately moved up to 140 because at 135 he was weight-drained. And after that move he appeared to be much more resilient. Has he actually become a weight-drained fighter again because he's outgrown 140 and does this effected his punch resistance, just like 135 did?

Khan took a lot of heavy shots against Maidana but that fight was nearly 2 years ago now and that's enough time to outgrow a weight division. We know that being weight-drained can severly effect punch resistance, just look at Manny Pacquiao' s early career for proof of that.

So is it actually time for Khan to move up to 147?
    Khan should move up to 147
    14.63%
    He should stay at 140
    73.17%
    I don't know for sure.
    12.20%
    Last edited by Fix; 07-19-2012, 09:00 AM.

HELL NO

UNLESS HE GETS A NEW TRAINER WHO TEACHES HIM TO TO USE DEFENSE

Comment

Originally posted by Fix View Post
      I know it's not the conventional view, but I wonder if Khan's actually outgrown 140 now and so he has to compromise in physical areas. For example, in the Garcia fight, Khan looked top heavy but his legs look very skinny. It's like he's not equally balanced from the top half to the bottom half.

We saw after he got beat by Prescott, he immediately moved up to 140 because at 135 he was weight-drained. And after that move he appeared to be much more resilient. Has he actually become a weight-drained fighter again because he's outgrown 140 and does this effected his punch resistance, just like 135 did?

Khan took a lot of heavy shots against Maidana but that fight was nearly 2 years ago now and that's enough time to outgrow a weight division. We know that being weight-drained can severly effect punch resistance, just look at Manny Pacquiao' s early career for proof of that.

So is it actually time for Khan to move up to 147?
      He just got his head punched in so probably not.

Comment

I'm gonna have to say no.

He needs to improve on a lot of things before moving up, if not, he'll most certainly get KTFO @ 147.

Comment

How has Khan outgrown 140 if he's usually 1lb over 147 on fight night??

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing him go up to 147. I like watching him popping and locking in the ring

Comment

didn't he weigh 148 fight night? It's very rare for Welterweights to come in to the fight that weight, even the average sized ones go to 153-155.

Khan isn't that big honestly, this 5'10 height people keep saying is a joke, he's not a big dude.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                How has Khan outgrown 140 if he's usually 1lb over 147 on fight night??
                Not everyone's Chavez Jr putting on 20lbs overnight.

But Khans punch resistance in the Garcia fight, plus the way he looked physically with such skinny legs and being top heavy, I think they're all better barometers than the fight night weight.

It's similar to how he looked against Prescott and the same thing happened. I mean Maidana hits hard at 140 and Khan didn't even hit the canvas after taking flush shots. But Garcia lands a single shot (just like Prescott) and Khan goes down. I think it's a sign he's getting weight-drained again and needs to move up just like after the Prescott defeat.

Comment

He definitely should. He was going to after Peterson, was only sticking around because of the rematch, and if he isn't already uncomfortable making 140 he will be soon. Plenty of good fights for him at 147, and I don't think most the fighters at 147 are nearly as bad a matchup for him as fighters at 140 are.

Comment

Originally posted by Fix View Post
                    Not everyone's Chavez Jr putting on 20lbs overnight.

But Khans punch resistance in the Garcia fight, plus the way he looked physically with such skinny legs and being top heavy, I think they're all better barometers than the fight night weight.

It's similar to how he looked against Prescott and the same thing happened. I mean Maidana hits hard at 140 and Khan didn't even hit the canvas after taking flush shots. But Garcia lands a single shot (just like Prescott) and Khan goes down. I think it's a sign he's getting weight-drained again and needs to move up just like after the Prescott defeat.
                    Khan's been hurt on several occasions even under Ariza. His punch resistance may go up at 147. But welterweights also generally hit harder & are physically stronger than jr welterweights. So I wouldn't be too quick to say his chin gets stronger when he'll be facing stronger guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X