• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terrel View Post
    Gone up by 13mbps in 30 minutes lol

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
      Who is your ISP? 300 Mbps is insanely fast, are you sure that's what you are paying for? You can usually check on your ISPs website to see what sort of plan you have, you may have to register an account.

That is a low ass cap too, I thought AT&T's data cap was bad at 150 GB but 80 is pretty bad. I routinely go over 100 GB per month using Netflix, YouTube etc.

Luckily time Warner cable's roadrunner has no data cap at all, hopefully this doesn't change.

If I were you I'd change ISPs especially if you aren't under contract.
      www.rogers.com

the largest provider in canada. i may have gotten the mbps speed wrong but, nonetheless, this is supposed to be high speed cable.

$2 per gb over my limit to a total of $50. so in order to get unlimited downloads i have to pay an addition $50 per month. there is a monopoly here with two companies and i have the lesser of the two evils believe it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Horton View Post
        www.rogers.com

the largest provider in canada. i may have gotten the mbps speed wrong but, nonetheless, this is supposed to be high speed cable.

$2 per gb over my limit to a total of $50. so in order to get unlimited downloads i have to pay an addition $50 per month. there is a monopoly here with two companies and i have the lesser of the two evils believe it or not.
        Looks like you have their Express plan which is supposed to be up to 18 Mbps and a 80gb cap, you're just getting just 4 mbps though, pretty ridiculous, there is a MASSIVE difference in speed between 4 and 18 you can definitely notice it.

Maybe your modem is out of date, or if you have wifi set up and you don't have a password on your wireless router your neighbor may be using it, stealing and slowing down your Internet.

Either way I'd call your ISP and tell them they may be able to help, I'd be furious if I were you.

Comment

Looks like you have their Express plan which is supposed to be up to 18 Mbps and a 80gb cap, you're just getting just 4 mbps though, pretty ridiculous, there is a MASSIVE difference in speed between 4 and 18 you can definitely notice it.

Maybe your modem is out of date, or if you have wifi set up and you don't have a password on your wireless router your neighbor may be using it, stealing and slowing down your Internet.

Either way I'd call your ISP and tell them they may be able to help, I'd be furious if I were you.
          i wasn't furious but i am now!!!

thanks man. my security is tight so it has to be them. right now it's not prime time and they don't have the 'shared bandwidth' excuse.

Comment

I'm sure a thread has been made before about this. Are you getting your money's worth for your Internet? You're paying for a certain amount of Mbps from your ISP but that doesn't always mean they are delivering, your speeds could be much slower than advertised.

http://speedtest.net

You can use that website.

I had really shytty service from AT&T, I was paying for just 3mbps which I thought I was getting, after running speed tests I realized I was in fact getting an average of just 1.3 Mbps MAX. Mostly it was .20 to .70, especially when it rained. I know it was not my modem either.

The AT&T website has a speed test but their results can be BS, they'll say your speeds are actually faster than they really are!

I switched to time Warner cable and have been very pleased, I can finally watch Netflix in HD and don't have to wait for YouTube videos to buffer every 20 seconds. I paid for 10 Mbps and am getting an average of 9.4 Mbps, the highest being 10.4 and the lowest 8.5 when others are using he Internet at my house.

Roadrunner also gave me a clean ass modem for free (I'm not renting), the Motorola sb6141 that can download up to 300mbps and upload up to 100mbps.
            Being connected wirelessly to your modem will automatically decrease the amount of speed you have available. Especially if you have a G generation network card in your computer, that'll shave a good 4-8 MB/s off it. If you have a newer generation of the network cards, the M generation (which most Apple laptops / desktops have) you will receive a significantly better signal.

If you are connected with a regular ethernet cable, then you should get a very close MB/s of what you pay for. If it's off more than 1-3, then I would consider contacting your internet provider and ask them WTF is wrong.

Comment

i just switched from verizons slow dsl (1.5-7)mbps dl, to a time warner cable package deal. I'm paying for 10mb dl service but it never goes down that low. I average about 15-20mbps dl. And I'm saving $30 a month with the package deal, (phone, internet and tv.
              (Not wireless)

Edit; I was just messing around with speedtest today, and i got this...
              Last edited by jazluvr; 08-07-2012, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I get my broadband as part of a bundle. It works out i pay about £10 just for my broadband. So can't really complain.

Comment

To get high wireless speeds, ya'll need N adapters.

Comment

On a really good day, I can get 65mbps.

Comment

I am the vinner!

Comment

Working...
                      X