Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the hardest puncher in boxing history?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the hardest puncher in boxing history?

Both at heavyweight and pound for pound?

Please no honorable mentions and please dont name fighters just because you like them, I want you to estimate to the best of your ability as to who is the hardest hitter ever and why you think that.

I think its Earnie shavers (judging by how he made larry holmes unconscious with a single punch, something that took Tyson MANY punches to achieve, and because of what Ali and others have said to me they dont seen to be lying) also he would have koed ALi if it wasnt for ALi's clever trick of waving him forward, which is something foreman couldnt do

I also think its julian jackson p4p partially because many other people assume the same thing and judging by the sheer devastation his punches caused to his victims and the number of those devastating knockouts. I might have said randle bailey but I think Randles punches are a bit more pushy than Julians.

So for me

1) Earnie Shavers

2) Julian Jackson

1 Ernie Shavers
    2 George Foreman
    3 Sonny Liston

Comment

Originally posted by gizmo j View Post
      1 Ernie Shavers
      2 George Foreman
      3 Sonny Liston
      thanks also is there any way to logically find out the truth on this question or will it always just be a guess?

Comment

..judging by how he made larry holmes unconscious with a single punch, something that took Tyson MANY punches to achieve,

when did Ernie "make" Holmes unconscious?
        and remember Tyson was fighting an old Holmes they are NOT from the same era!

As I've stasted before Shavers is the hardest hitter I've ever worked with
        (pad work) Tyson is the second and a fellow named Ken Schmidt was the third. All were heavyweights between 190 and 215lbs. Tyson was from 15 yrs to 18-19 forget which!

The best puncher p4p is Sugarman he could KO people moving in or back and either hand was fine! Simply the best!

Ray

Comment

To be considered a hard puncher, Boxers must knock out quality opponents not just a bunch of unknown journeymen Tomato-cans.

Earnie Shavers never knocked out any quality opponents..

Hardest punching Heavyweight ever:- Joe Louis

Hardest punching boxer ever :- Sugar Ray Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
            Both at heavyweight and pound for pound?

Please no honorable mentions and please dont name fighters just because you like them, I want you to estimate to the best of your ability as to who is the hardest hitter ever and why you think that.

I think its Earnie shavers (judging by how he made larry holmes unconscious with a single punch, something that took Tyson MANY punches to achieve, and because of what Ali and others have said to me they dont seen to be lying) also he would have koed ALi if it wasnt for ALi's clever trick of waving him forward, which is something foreman couldnt do

I also think its julian jackson p4p partially because many other people assume the same thing and judging by the sheer devastation his punches caused to his victims and the number of those devastating knockouts. I might have said randle bailey but I think Randles punches are a bit more pushy than Julians.

So for me

1) Earnie Shavers

2) Julian Jackson
            Tyson dropped Holmes with one shot, but unlike Shavers, he also knocked him out. Also knocked down Tillis, which Shavers couldn't do.

For me Tyson had the hardest punch, power, speed and technique.

Comment

Foreman at heavy Jackson p4p

Comment

jiopsi; your forgetting an important consideration in your analysis.
                Holmes vs Shavers 1978 UD 12 rd decs.
                Holmes vs Shavers 1979 tko 11

Holmes vs Tyson 1988 tko loss in 4

this fight happened 10 years after the Shavers encounters and this happened 2 years since his last fight!
                This is not an excuse their the facts and these are facts to consider when evaluating performances and why they turned out the way they did.

I have no doubt that Holmes in prime conditioning fights any heavy in history and presents himself well and he's capable of winning against anyone also!

Remember smart fighters also keep themselves out of hard punchers range.
                I had an old friend with a marginal record as a fighter who fought Marciano twice and never got dropped or stopped because he knew who he was in with.
                If Ali says Shavers was the hardest hitter I'd take that opinion serious!
                Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  jiopsi; your forgetting an important consideration in your analysis.
                  Holmes vs Shavers 1978 UD 12 rd decs.
                  Holmes vs Shavers 1979 tko 11

Holmes vs Tyson 1988 tko loss in 4

this fight happened 10 years after the Shavers encounters and this happened 2 years since his last fight!
                  This is not an excuse their the facts and these are facts to consider when evaluating performances and why they turned out the way they did.

I have no doubt that Holmes in prime conditioning fights any heavy in history and presents himself well and he's capable of winning against anyone also!

Remember smart fighters also keep themselves out of hard punchers range.
                  I had an old friend with a marginal record as a fighter who fought Marciano twice and never got dropped or stopped because he knew who he was in with.
                  If Ali says Shavers was the hardest hitter I'd take that opinion serious!
                  Ray.
                  Ali never fought Tyson, Holmes said Shavers hit harder, Tillis said Tyson hit harder, so there's that. Boxers usually say anything and everything, but you can't know what is the truth and what's not.

Tyson one-shotted White Buffalo, cracked Golota's cheekbone with one shot, only one to ever floor P.Thomas and M.Spinks and so on...

Least rounds per fights, and when you consider that Tyson fought harder fighters than Shavers, the data favours Tyson.

3.7 Mike Tyson (216/58)
                  4.1 Jack Dempsey (283/69)
                  4.1 Ernie Shavers (367/89) (non-champion)
                  4.2 Riddick Bowe (195/46)
                  4.3 George Foreman (349/81)
                  4.9 Rocky Marciano (241/49)
                  4.9 Sonny Liston (267/54)
                  5.0 Vitali Klitschko (235/47)
                  5.1 Wladimir Klitschko (334/66)
                  5.1 Lennox Lewis (225/44)
                  5.4 Max Baer (423/79)
                  5.8 Joe Frazier (213/37)
                  6.0 Joe Louis (417/69)
                  7.6 Evander Holyfield (443/58)
                  8.9 Muhammad Ali (548/61)
                  Last edited by jiopsi; 05-05-2015, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jiopsi View Post
                    Ali never fought Tyson, Holmes said Shavers hit harder, Tillis said Tyson hit harder, so there's that. Boxers usually say anything and everything, but you can't know what is the truth and what's not.

Tyson one-shotted White Buffalo, cracked Golota's cheekbone with one shot, only one to ever floor P.Thomas and M.Spinks and so on...

Least rounds per fights, and when you consider that Tyson fought harder fighters than Shavers, the data favours Tyson.

3.7 Mike Tyson (216/58)
                    4.1 Jack Dempsey (283/69)
                    4.1 Ernie Shavers (367/89) (non-champion)
                    4.2 Riddick Bowe (195/46)
                    4.3 George Foreman (349/81)
                    4.9 Rocky Marciano (241/49)
                    4.9 Sonny Liston (267/54)
                    5.0 Vitali Klitschko (235/47)
                    5.1 Wladimir Klitschko (334/66)
                    5.1 Lennox Lewis (225/44)
                    5.4 Max Baer (423/79)
                    5.8 Joe Frazier (213/37)
                    6.0 Joe Louis (417/69)
                    7.6 Evander Holyfield (443/58)
                    8.9 Muhammad Ali (548/61)
                    Shavers fought Holmes (twice), Ali, Lyle, Young, Quarry, Norton, and Ellis. I'm not so sure that Tyson fought the "harder fighters".

Comment

Working...
                    X