Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A strong inner core is important for boxers. Please describe some relevant exercises.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A strong inner core is important for boxers. Please describe some relevant exercises.

Activation of transverse abdominus (TVA) muscle is important here.

Strong inner core helps stability and balance which is vital for a boxer.

Some of these exercises may commonly be referred to lower ab exercises but this is misleading because the rectus abdominus is one muscle.

Thank you boxing training scholars of boxingscene. Your help is very much appreciated.

Situps where you also raise both legs at the same time, and Russian Twists are my exercises of choice personally. leg raises as well but the first two are the main ones i do.

Throwing a medicine ball at a solid wall (or with a partner going back and forth) from your stance using the motions you would make to throw punches like uppercuts and straights is a great exercise as well. Its excellent for making them more explosive.

Comment

Originally posted by HtotheZ View Post
      Situps where you also raise both legs at the same time, and Russian Twists are my exercises of choice personally. leg raises as well but the first two are the main ones i do.

Throwing a medicine ball at a solid wall (or with a partner going back and forth) from your stance using the motions you would make to throw punches like uppercuts and straights is a great exercise as well. Its excellent for making them more explosive.
      when you raise both legs, are you putting each foot on top of each other? also, how far off the ground do you sit up - is it more of a crunch or sit up? thanks.

Comment

Ab wheel rollouts.

The Ab Carver helps push you back to the beginning position so it's ideal for beginners, it's getting a lot of positive reviews:

Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 04-11-2014, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Kettle bell routines is all core. I went to 5 points Muay Thai gym in china town and some of these mother ****ers are are tiny swinging 60 lb bells with perfect technique like its nothing. Incredible core strength.

Also the machines with the cords are incredible for core strenth, I use to do it every 2-3 days, strengthened my entire core, back, tightened up my six pack, and I definitely felt more leverage on my punches.

Contrary to popular belief, sit ups, and crunches do relatively nothing for core strength IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
            Kettle bell routines is all core. I went to 5 points Muay Thai gym in china town and some of these mother ****ers are are tiny swinging 60 lb bells with perfect technique like its nothing. Incredible core strength.

Also the machines with the cords are incredible for core strenth, I use to do it every 2-3 days, strengthened my entire core, back, tightened up my six pack, and I definitely felt more leverage on my punches.

Contrary to popular belief, sit ups, and crunches do relatively nothing for core strength IMO.
            can you describe some cord exercises? can you do them using cables? thank you.

Comment

UOTE=jas;14415258]when you raise both legs, are you putting each foot on top of each other? also, how far off the ground do you sit up - is it more of a crunch or sit up? thanks.[/QUOTE]

No I keep my feet adjacent, no foot on top of the other. I also keep my legs close together.

And more of a situp. Situps got a higher range of motion and Work more of your core. Crunches are really only good for developing your six pack which is why I say **** em for boxing imo. They do develop your six pack better than sit ups though lol

Comment

any ab exercise with added weight ... grab a 10 pound plate and hit some crunches or try doing leg/knee raises holding a dumbbell between your quads just above yours knees ... i dont personally do any of that **** to fuking hard for my fatazz but they are the best of the best

Comment

Get to a point where you can do 10 sets of 25 pull ups and 50 leg raises.

Comment

Originally posted by dman4093 View Post
                    Get to a point where you can do 10 sets of 25 pull ups and 50 leg raises.
                    damn.. you make me feel weak ..

Comment

Working...
                    X