Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Span of manny's Prime

Where is the range?

imo Marquez 2 to margarito.

His ferocity greatly declined after facing antonio. He began to box more after Marquez KO'd him.

He peaked when he fought Cotto. Cotto, Clottey, and margarito fights is the very best version of manny.
    Last edited by GrandpaBernard; 04-19-2016, 10:11 PM.

It's pretty crazy that around the time of the third Morales fight, I would have sworn that Pacquiao was at his absolute peak (beginning from Barrera I). And yet, you're probably right that it really actually began with Diaz and ended with Margarito.

There was definitely a turning point after Margarito. The Pacquiao that fought Clottey, say, did not look himself by the time of Mosley/Marquez III.

Comment

Manny was at his absolute best from morales 2 to margarito.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        Manny was at his absolute best from morales 2 to margarito.
        ...aka the ped years

Comment

IMO I enjoyed his run after the Morales loss. Though considered a "1-armed" fighter, his footwork and work rate gave him a very aggressive style. From 135 and up it was too quick- opponents would have became available at 140 (Manny's best weight IMO).

Fighting Margs who is naturally bigger maybe took something from Manny, either actual damage (laid for a couple days after) or having mercy since busting up Margs eye. BC after that it was not the same for me?

Comment

around the cotto and hatton and delahoya fights is what i would say.

Comment

Everyone seems to agree that it was after the Margarito fight where he seemed to have peaked. That or when Ariza left.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
                Where is the range?

imo Marquez 2 to margarito.

His ferocity greatly declined after facing antonio. He began to box more after Marquez KO'd him.

He peaked when he fought Cotto. Cotto, Clottey, and margarito fights is the very best version of manny.
                2005-2010

After the loss to Morales to Clottey where he quite started to show signs of decline.

Comment

Originally posted by clmags12 View Post
                  IMO I enjoyed his run after the Morales loss. Though considered a "1-armed" fighter, his footwork and work rate gave him a very aggressive style. From 135 and up it was too quick- opponents would have became available at 140 (Manny's best weight IMO).

Fighting Margs who is naturally bigger maybe took something from Manny, either actual damage (laid for a couple days after) or having mercy since busting up Margs eye. BC after that it was not the same for me?
                  He took serious damage against the big guys.
                  Marg hurt him, Cotto had him hurt in many places, ruptured eardrum...

Marquez finished him with a fatality.
                  It seems like he f%cked his shoulder for the Floyd fight.

Since the Marquez loss, Manny is quite shot.
                  What make me think this is his crew are matching him against light handed fighters.

Comment

I believe Manny's prime started around Marquez 2/David Diaz and ended around Margarito/Mosely.

His absolute peak was in '09 by demolishing Hatton and beating Cotto into the ground. His last blinding performance was Margarito about a year later and after that he never looked to be as close to that peak.

He had great nights before and after that, but in terms of actual peak primed years this is what I believe.

Comment

Working...
                    X