Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IBF Refuses to Sanction Carlos Molina vs. Victor Ortiz...Fight is OFF!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless
    Damn, it's not like many people are lining up to fight Molina. Being willing to fight him is all you need to be deserving.

I was genuinely going to end up buying this PPV, but only two decent fights is not enough for it to be worth it.
    I doubt Ortiz was willing to fight Molina per say. I'm sure GB had some influence in that decision. Like:

"Fight Molina and beat him and you get a shot at Canelo. Just be active in there and DON'T QUIT and we got your back "

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler I View Post
      I really dislike that tbh. It means that even when you're the champ, you're not really the champ (like Povetkin said about his HW title).

+1

I was looking forward to this fight. We'll probably get a crap fight for Molina now and get recycled Oldsley for Ortiz.
      It seems people are content with watching Molina against fighters who either don't have the hand speed to cope with him, or the ability to fight on the inside. Not saying Ortiz is great but I can't take away the fact that he has very good punching technique and his right hook/ right uppercut combo would have handled Molina. Whether he holds up mentally is another story but one can't tell me stylistically this wasn't gonna be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler I View Post
        I really dislike that tbh. It means that even when you're the champ, you're not really the champ (like Povetkin said about his HW title).
        I'd rather be a "Regular Champ" than be a mandatory for 8 years for a fight I will never get. It's ridiculous how the WBC runs fighters through several eliminators with no guarantee of a title shot. Just come out and say "The cash cow can defend against whoever he wants".

In a perfect world they would force everybody to defend or vacate but that's not the case.

I respect the IBF for enforcing their rules. Now they just need to fix their rankings system.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
          It seems people are content with watching Molina against fighters who either don't have the hand speed to cope with him, or the ability to fight on the inside. Not saying Ortiz is great but I can't take away the fact that he has very good punching technique and his right hook/ right uppercut combo would have handled Molina. Whether he holds up mentally is another story but one can't tell me stylistically this wasn't gonna be interesting.
          Those few who want to see Molina want to see him against other top junior middleweights. Not a welterweight on a 2 fight losing streak they plan to rob him against.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            Those few who want to see Molina want to see him against other top junior middleweights. Not a welterweight on a 2 fight losing streak they plan to rob him against.
            and if that doesnt happen, whats the point? oh yea, lets see him against some no name in an uninteresting fight. i mean seriouslywhos lining up to fight this guy? he hasnt had an interesting fight in over a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
              Well he's fought Lara, Kirkland, Smith, Cintron, Chavez Jr and overperformed each time. So it's not crazy to think he handles the guy that couldn't get past Maidana, Lopez or Peterson, with only Berto as a good win.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
                and if that doesnt happen, whats the point? oh yea, lets see him against some no name in an uninteresting fight. i mean seriouslywhos lining up to fight this guy? he hasnt had an interesting fight in over a year.
                Its bad for Molina financially but you have to respect the IBF for standing for something. Molina of all people should know with all of the eliminators, robberies and amount of times he's been screwed out of a title shot.

He's got unification fights against the Trout/Lara winner and if Andrade beats Vanes. Canelo's spoiled, protected ass can fight him instead of having another pawn do his dirty work as usual. Ortiz can fight somebody on the IBF's list (all of whom he could probably beat) and make this a legit title fight.

Or they could just make it a non-title fight. But that can't happen because GBP is once again trying to play the system to get Canelo the easiest road to a paper title as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                  Well he's fought Lara, Kirkland, Smith, Cintron, Chavez Jr and overperformed each time. So it's not crazy to think he handles the guy that couldn't get past Maidana, Lopez or Peterson, with only Berto as a good win.
                  Not saying it's crazy, I'm saying it's challenging and I'm also willing to count on the fact that Ortiz will have enough success to keep a straight head. Mind you, Ortiz possess tools that the bolded lack, even seriously lacked.

Comment

That's great news. Good for the IBF. Ortiz lost his last fight by KO and he has never defeated a Jr. middleweight in his life. He had no business fighting for the tittle.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
                      I agree. Rules aren't enforced enough in boxing. But I like/dislike the champ/super champ concept because let's be real, if Floyd holds a belt in a division he will never defend it against a guy like Lara, Trout or Molina. And they won't strip him because the business plan is based on collecting fees. So it really prevents mandatory challengers from being screwed.

But everybody knows Molina was going to get robbed in this fight to set up Canelo vs. Ortiz or Floyd vs. Ortiz II. He's the easiest fighter in boxing to rob because of his smothering style and lack of power.
                      The IBF will strip champs for not fighting mandatories. They are really strict on it, whoever holds their title. They give K2 a hell of a time when it comes to enforcing the IBF mandatory for Wlad, hence we got Wlad-Thompson 2. The biggest problem to me is how boxing superstars often disregard the IBF title because of their strict policies, and go with (usually) the WBA/WBC/WBO who are blatantly corrupt and/or have millions of belts to fight for. You can see it with Mayweather/Pacquiao - theyve only won 1 IBF title each if I remember. The nature of the sport means fighters/promoters will go for a title that isn't strict, especially so knowing the WBC/IBF titles are pretty much equal.

Their rankings aren't too great, but sanctioning bodies, especially the WBC, make it so fighters are sanctioning-body specific and so the IBF often loses out. It's not really helped by the fact the WBC just will not negotiate unifications with the IBF, yet they will with the WBA/WBO. It's a very murky scene

Comment

Working...
                      X