Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arum: Pacquiao April Fight Unlikely, Marquez 5 Not in U.S.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
    Taxes just went up in America for pretty much everybody especially the top 1%.

40% of whatever Pac makes is pretty much half of what he earned and hes the one taking all the risk

If he can fight somewhere else and not pay any taxes than as a business move why not? You can hate Arum all you want but hes a great business man plain and simple
    It's a cover up and you bought into it. If taxes are the reason why Bob and Manny won't fight in the US, then what about the rest of the Top Rank cash cows? Nonito, Rios, and the rest of the Top Rank stable fights in the US. Taxes sound plausible, but only thinly so.

Comment

@ddangerous I'm not a Pac fan but I respect his work. He fights whoever. With that being said, did u watch the fight or just the knockout? Pac was winning the fight on every card. He got careless and got caught like lennox lewis did with Rahman. It happens with fighters who fight. Pac is not done. Marquez is the one fighter who has always given him problems.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
        It's a cover up and you bought into it. If taxes are the reason why Bob and Manny won't fight in the US, then what about the rest of the Top Rank cash cows? Nonito, Rios, and the rest of the Top Rank stable fights in the US. Taxes sound plausible, but only thinly so.
        When those guys make manny pacquaio money then they will think about fighting elsewhere is necessary.

Comment

This fight will take place in the U.S. Arum is a big republican and he's trying to make waves by referencing the tax stuff, and all that. I personally hope this fight doesn't happen. I'm a marquez fan and a manny fan. I think they've done all the good do. Everything else is just kind of cheapening.

Marquez should wrap it up, and manny should stop Bradley.

Comment

Originally posted by rashadrr View Post
            @ddangerous I'm not a Pac fan but I respect his work. He fights whoever. With that being said, did u watch the fight or just the knockout? Pac was winning the fight on every card. He got careless and got caught like lennox lewis did with Rahman. It happens with fighters who fight. Pac is not done. Marquez is the one fighter who has always given him problems.
            No, not at all like Lewis Rahman, that's a stupid thing to say. Lewis went into that fight totally unmotivated, fat, and on the edge of retiring. When he got knocked out, and Rahman acted all ****y, he actually bothered to train for the rematch, and sparked him out first chance he got. End of story. Rahman's 15 minutes of fame. Not comparable at all to the 4 wars we have had the pleasure of witnessing between Pac and Marquez, 3 of which I believe Marquez won, and only 1 he did. Marquez has matched Pacquiao using brains and skill against raw talent and power, and it's been fascinating to watch. Marquez finally got the better of him by utilising a shot he'd worked on since the first meeting. It was the same shot that put Pac down in the third, put Marquez's sparring parter down in pre-fight training, and the shot he hit Pacquiao with several times before everything came together at the right time, and Pacquiao lunged forward uncommitted, giving Marquez enough time to set the shot up. Completely intentional, completely calculated, nothing lucky about it whatsoever.

On the subject if Arum, I'd say anyone who believes a word of what that man says is an
            idiot. Arum is covering up for the fact that they can't fight in April due to the 90-day sparring ban (which would mean he can't train) and that they don't want him to have a tune-up, in case he loses, which means no big-money 5th fight.

I'm not a Pacquiao fan, but he's been incredible for the sport and I for one hope he finishes the sport on a high. I dont want to see Marquez have his victory belittled, but Pacquiao was looking as destructive as he ever has up until the KO. The fight was swung firmly in Manny's favour and it looked like Marquez was close to being stopped, however Pac got reckless and the rest is history.

I hope Pacquiao can avenge the defeat, come back strong, and I still hold hope of a fight with Mayweather if he can do that. It's still the biggest fight out there.

Comment

I have always been surprised that Pacquiao didn't get more credit for fighting Bradley. I agree with you that he was doing well against Marquez before he got stopped, but I don't hang on that detail just like I don't for, let's say, Khan/Garcia. JMM's masterful KO made that detail irrelevent. He won the fight completely convincingly. And I loved that damn fight from start to finish. But to write Pacquiao off because he got knocked out by a badass counter-punching Mexican legend is just dumb. Especially after all the badass Mexican fighters he disposed of. Just beyond dumb to act as if he was never great, or possesses no greatness now. LOL.

Comment

When those guys make manny pacquaio money then they will think about fighting elsewhere is necessary.

If that 40% tax is true (which is a dubious claim, would you really take Bob Arum's word on it?) then guys like Rios, Doniare, and even Alvarado should be more concerned about that tax then Manny and Bob are. 40% of Manny's 7 figure payday is still a 7 figure payday; Rios, Donaire, and even Alvarado are making 6, barely 7 figure paydays. Taking that theoretical 40% off as well as all the other trainer, team, promoter, sanctioning and manager fees cuts those 6-7 figure paydays close to 6-5 figure paydays.

Comment

Arum's up to something first he said he needs a huge stadium to house a fight with mayweather now he 's looking for a Marquez-pacquiao 5 well damn what arena going to be able to hold this? Because if they fight for a fifth time it would gain a lot more interest than a fight with mayweather now arum's a snake man something's not adding up with that guy

Comment

Originally posted by cameltoe View Post
                    No, not at all like Lewis Rahman, that's a stupid thing to say. Lewis went into that fight totally unmotivated, fat, and on the edge of retiring. When he got knocked out, and Rahman acted all ****y, he actually bothered to train for the rematch, and sparked him out first chance he got. End of story. Rahman's 15 minutes of fame. Not comparable at all to the 4 wars we have had the pleasure of witnessing between Pac and Marquez, 3 of which I believe Marquez won, and only 1 he did. Marquez has matched Pacquiao using brains and skill against raw talent and power, and it's been fascinating to watch. Marquez finally got the better of him by utilising a shot he'd worked on since the first meeting. It was the same shot that put Pac down in the third, put Marquez's sparring parter down in pre-fight training, and the shot he hit Pacquiao with several times before everything came together at the right time, and Pacquiao lunged forward uncommitted, giving Marquez enough time to set the shot up. Completely intentional, completely calculated, nothing lucky about it whatsoever.

On the subject if Arum, I'd say anyone who believes a word of what that man says is an
                    idiot. Arum is covering up for the fact that they can't fight in April due to the 90-day sparring ban (which would mean he can't train) and that they don't want him to have a tune-up, in case he loses, which means no big-money 5th fight.

I'm not a Pacquiao fan, but he's been incredible for the sport and I for one hope he finishes the sport on a high. I dont want to see Marquez have his victory belittled, but Pacquiao was looking as destructive as he ever has up until the KO. The fight was swung firmly in Manny's favour and it looked like Marquez was close to being stopped, however Pac got reckless and the rest is history.

I hope Pacquiao can avenge the defeat, come back strong, and I still hold hope of a fight with Mayweather if he can do that. It's still the biggest fight out there.
                    I don't think he can avenge the defeat pacquiao was winning the fight up until that point but Marquez caught him good prior to the ko with other right hands anyway how much longer was pacquiao going to keep up that pace? That was a lot of movement man and he was getting tired as he should be that was an exhausting fifth rd. it was only a matter of time before Marquez caught him as far as a fight with mayweather if you think Marquez was countering him effectively than you have to know what mayweather's going to do to him he's the best counterpuncher in the game Freddie would end up stopping it.

Comment

Originally posted by RVABoxer
                      Quote:

Originally Posted by Check_hooks

Taxes just went up in America for pretty much everybody especially the top 1%.

40% of whatever Pac makes is pretty much half of what he earned and hes the one taking all the risk

If he can fight somewhere else and not pay any taxes than as a business move why not? You can hate Arum all you want but hes a great business man plain and simple

yea i was about to say this too so the tax reason may have some legitimacy however i wouldnt be surprised one bit if arum is just saying as a cover up for some completely different reason but i cant really see them making more money at the gate in a different countryp vegas seems like it would pull the most money in there
                      The tax rise isn't until 2014. so he can't use taxes as an excuse.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Working...
                      X