Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I make a scene or chill the **** out?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PLEASE HELP] Should I make a scene or chill the **** out?

Now we all know about Amanda Todd. We know the details of her life and the circumstances to her tragic suicide. But we are all (for the most part anyway) adults and capable of forming our own opinions and grasping the severity of suicide.

The point of this thread, you ask? I was reading my 8 year old, 3 grade son's homework agenda and stumbled across a printed out news article of the Amanda Todd story and an outline for a 'news report' project for his social studies class.

He's 8 ...

Now, I am somewhat livid that this is being discussed at length with my child. Children, imo, don't have the mental capabilities of fully grasping these things. Aside from that, they attend Catholic school and suicide is a mortal sin, one of the worst, (my religious beliefs are not up for debate btw, I am merely stating this as part of my shock that they are making this subject so accessible to small children) so the fact that they are discussing this without even consulting parents is shocking to me.

I agree bullying is wrong and should be dealt with and tolerance taught at a young age, but I am pissed off that my son knows she sent tit pics at 13 and killed herself.

Do I go into the school and throw a tantrum or am I over reacting?
    Give em hell, Bossy!
    53.85%
    Calm down, woman.
    46.15%
    Last edited by Bossy; 10-24-2012, 09:41 PM.

How about just talking it out with the teacher calmly

Comment

It's one thing to cuss someone out online, but I never recommend doing that (cussing someone out) as a first reaction or trying to use coercion; especially at a school.

My suggestion would be to politely talk to the people and try to get a feel for why they did what they did. I don't have children so I can't say what I would do in your position. But from the outside looking in, I would keep a level head and respectfully ask their position then give your opinion.

If they get disrespectful or condescendingly talk down to you for some reason, that's another story.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Commit Suicide in front of the teacher to prove your point.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
          How about just talking it out with the teacher calmly

Calm is for girls

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
          It's one thing to cuss someone out online, but I never recommend doing that (cussing someone out) as a first reaction or trying to use coercion; especially at a school.

My suggestion would be to politely talk to the people and try to get a feel for why they did what they did. I don't have children so I can't say what I would do in your position. But from the outside looking in, I would keep a level head and respectfully ask their position then give your opinion.

If they get disrespectful or condescendingly talk down to you for some reason, that's another story.

Just my opinion.
          I'm not gonna go in calling everyone fuking ****s and swearing

But I am truly bothered by this, and i do have the tendency as every other parent (I imagine) to be really protective of my babies.

I just can't think of one legit reason to discuss these things with little kids. Not one.

Comment

Originally posted by badblood View Post
            Commit Suicide in front of the teacher to prove your point.
            Green sent.

Comment

I can understand you being upset about your son now knowing what tit pics are, but believe me, if that boy is straight, he's been obsessed with the titty for quite some time now.

I'd go pay the teacher a visit and have a rational discussion about it. I can't speak for the school's intentions but it seems to me that teaching young children about the real life consequences of bullying at a young age is a damn good deterrent from said kids engaging in said bullying as part of a future behavior pattern.

So on the negative side your boy knows about *******, but on the positive side he's likely never going to bully someone into killing themselves, and is now less likely to be bullied by his peers. I'd say that's a decent investment.

Comment

I must be the only person in America not familiar with the Amanda Todd story. Yeah, I've seen RIP Amanda Todd pages on FB and figured she committed suicide based on some posts, but that's the extent of it.

Comment

Speak to the principal.

Comment

Kids at that age are very inquisitive and like to try out things they see/hear. I'd be worried too that they are discussing suicide in class.

Comment

Working...
                    X