Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: McWilliams Arroyo-Froilan Saludar: A Fight and a Platform

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: McWilliams Arroyo-Froilan Saludar: A Fight and a Platform

By Cliff Rold - On paper, it looks as tantalizing as any match made yet in the Fox Sports 1 series. That might not be saying much. So far, too many of the weeknight offerings for the new series have been without high quality main events. That’s not the case this Thursday (8 PM EST/5 PM PST).

In the main event, 2009 World Amateur Champion and 2008 Olympian McWilliams Arroyo (14-1, 12 KO) of Puerto Rico takes on undefeated Froilan Saludar (19-0-1, 12 KO) of the Philippines. The winner gets a crack at IBF titlist Amnat Ruenroeng.

All of this happens in the Flyweight division.

This isn’t just a fight. It’s a platform. If this fight can be as good in the ring as it is on paper, it can only be a good thing for everyone who likes to see high quality action fights.

Flyweight is been as good as any division in boxing in terms of talent and depth. Only Welterweight may currently exceed it. The July 2014 issue of Ring Magazine, featuring their annual “State of the Game” report, rated Flyweight the best current division in boxing with Welterweight second.

It’s a worthy debate. Welterweight, with three of the best fighters of their era (Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquaio, and Juan Manuel Marquez) still competing at a high level and a strong supporting class around them, take a back seat to nothing.

However, as regards the violence in the ring, Flyweight has often been in a class of its own in the last few years. Brian Viloria, Edgar Sosa, Giovani Segura, Tyson Marquez, Luis Concepcion, and Juan Francisco Estrada have all been involved in exceptional contests, some of them outright classics. Roman Gonzalez and Akira Yaegashi’s best fights have, thus far, happened below 112 lbs.

Give it time. They’ll add to the mix too.

Most of this action has occurred ‘off-Broadway’ on US airwaves. Viloria, Estrada, and Marquez have all been seen on US English language platforms (AWE and HBO2 to be specific). None have had the benefit of the sort of prime time exposure Fox Sports 1 might be able to provide this week. While the network won’t deliver the masses the way Showtime or HBO might, it’s a great place to get more buzz generated. [Click Here To Read More]

Rooting for arroyo to pound this saludar to a bloody mess.

Comment

olympian vs olympian good matchup tommorow! go saludar

Comment

Originally posted by dinero fan View Post
        Rooting for arroyo to pound this saludar to a bloody mess.
        Go get some mental help. Every single article on this site in the last month about Filipinos has you hating on them. This is at least the 5th one in a row and the last in a string of messages.....most of them with you saying you wished a Filipino fighter was beaten to a bloody mess. Take your F.ucking hate somewhere else. Half of everything you write is Filipino hate messages.
        Last edited by richardt; 06-19-2014, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by richardt View Post
          Go get some mental help. Every single article on this site in the last month about Filipinos finds you hating them. This is at least the 5th one in a row and the last in a string of messages.....most of them with you saying you wished a Filipino fighter was beaten to a bloody mess. Take your F.ucking hate somewhere else. Half of everything you write is Filipino hate messages.
          Yea, I noticed that too. I wonder what happened to him by Filipinos.... Must be traumatizing

Comment

I like Saludar's chances, he's giving up home town advantage and in with a real threat, but he has reach and his own power to work with. The undefeated record means squat these days and I believe more in a guy with losses and an honest record than a protected prima donna. One Arroyo has broken the mold, this one lost trying, now Saludar is going to try. I hope I get this on TV, it looks good on paper.

Comment

A new racist is on these boards, going by the username Dinero Fan. Statements made by Dinero Fan:

- Rooting for arroyo to pound this saludar to a bloody mess
              - When are all these Filipinos Ronnie writes about.........
              - Once again mannys pimp bob Arum trying to give him another easy fight
              - Hahaha another Filipino with a funny last name
              - Ronnie and These Filipino bums
              - Rooting for Davis to pound this bum Farenas
              - Hope Walters beats Donaire to a bloody pulp
              - My favorite ponce fight was when he knocked out bautista in one round
              - I hope Vazquez destroys sonsoma
              Last edited by richardt; 06-19-2014, 03:59 PM.

Comment

sounds like little richardt soiled his diaper

Comment

Well at least he got Arroyo right..........he gave that Filipino an ugly KO.

The Boricuas are coming!

Comment

Originally posted by dinero fan View Post
                    sounds like little richardt soiled his diaper
                    Sounds like you are a pea brain racist.

Comment

Working...
                    X