No announcement yet.

Getting Pummeled in sparring!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Pummeled in sparring!

In sparring today i fought a very powerful puncher but a ****ty boxer, so what happened i thought it would be easy as usual (because i've thrashed him before) but this time he kept aiming for my body.
    In the end he got a body shot which winded me and i couldn't physically continue, i rested for a few seconds to get my breath back and sparred again.
    The thing is is that i am the better boxer and mainly got all the hits on him but afterwards i tried to protect my body and he ended up getting a very powerful right hand which landed on my jaw. I was a bit hurt but the coach stopped it.
    Obiviously my pride was more injured than me and i was pretty devasted when i went home. has this ever happened to you? and how do you come back?.

Getting Pummeled in sparring!

Originally posted by dangerousity
    In sparring today i fought a very powerful puncher but a ****ty boxer, so what happened i thought it would be easy as usual (because i've thrashed him before) but this time he kept aiming for my body.
    In the end he got a body shot which winded me and i couldn't physically continue, i rested for a few seconds to get my breath back and sparred again.
    The thing is is that i am the better boxer and mainly got all the hits on him but afterwards i tried to protect my body and he ended up getting a very powerful right hand which landed on my jaw. I was a bit hurt but the coach stopped it.
    Obiviously my pride was more injured than me and i was pretty devasted when i went home. has this ever happened to you? and how do you come back?.
    Yep when I was 13....I would say you just learned a hard lesson about the importance of defense...You sound like you have a better arsenal than he does, but you lacked either, the denfensive movement or stamina to keep the guy up off of you...I bet he knew he was going to beat you today, because he has sparred with you before and knows your weakness...Don't trip you will get him next time...

Comment

I had a semilar experience around a month ago..
      i stopped going to the gym for a week, feeling very much like a loser,but then my coach called me and kept saying that if i back off now i'd really be a loser, and the only right thing to do was come back train hard then go punch the crap out of the guy...
      so thats what am basically doing right now .. i havnt gotten to the part were i beat the crap out of him though

Comment

Yep. I've had days where I feel like a total wimp, getting thumped around where all I'm trying to do is hold the other guy off. I've gone back into the locker room not wanting to look at anyone because I know they saw it go down, and it's left me in a ****ty mood for the rest of the day.

So if I can give you any advice, it's this: You don't learn anything by sparring with easy partners that don't challenge you. Sure, they pump up your ego (the opposite of what I was just talking about), but they also give you a false sense of security so when you're in there against a tougher opponent, you won't be ready for what he's bringing.

The more you get beat on when you spar, the more you learn about your own weaknesses, and the closer you'll be to correcting them.

Comment

dude, just keep boxing, stay light on ya toes on move away, not backwards, but laterally. bork a few times, see what he does, move away or stick and move.although, ur question is sorta hard to answer, becos everyone is different.

Comment

**** happens

your mistake was trying to guard your body

you need to devlope a defense that guards both yoru body and head
            dont ever show that your hurt if you can help it
            ive been hurt to the body but i would never show until the sparring match is over

Comment

you can never bring your arms down to your body...if thats all hes going for you can pick him off when he goes for the punch..one way to get your body harder to hit..make your stance lower..and make it more like your chest is facing away from him..basic things you learn when you first start

Comment

boxer25k i like your drink haha..i've been drinkin the diet turbo tea b4 my workouts =P

Comment

Working...
                X