Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which 168 Fighter Is More Athletically Gifted? Degale, Dirrell, Ward, Froch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
    Ward, by far... Athleticism in boxing is also about some brains...
    No, athleticism has literally nothing to do with brains. It's actually everything except your brain.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      Dirrell is a remarkable talent. Too bad he's soft as butter.
      It took heart and determination to come back from 2 knockdowns and almost win, so I disagree with that.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
        No, athleticism has literally nothing to do with brains. It's actually everything except your brain.
        Each and every sport implies high locomotive coordination (which is innate, but also resides in the brain) and high technical skills (which are acquired and imply intensive brain activity)...

Comment

Originally posted by alexguiness View Post
          Never seen Froch gassed despite his huge work rate / punch out put.

Ward is well conditioned and very economical with his effort.

Both Groves and Degale have stamina issues IMO.
          i pretty much agree with this,
          ward is a clever boxer so he knows when to put his foot on the gas and when to take it off...

shame he is boring though

degale was gassing against dirrell and just about got away with it,
          but if he fights someone who fights without gassing the whole 12 rounds it might cause him problems...

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
            Each and every sport implies high locomotive coordination (which is innate, but also resides in the brain) and high technical skills (which are acquired and imply intensive brain activity)...
            Alot of times this has more to do with muscular imbalances, to be as athletical(flexible, powerful, precise) you need to remain balanced
            The fact that Ward often slaps(horribly so) should suggest he's not a athletically gifted as Dirrell

Not in co-ordination, not in reflexes, He's got more boxing skills though.
            Last edited by SplitSecond; 05-26-2015, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Froch the genetically gifted athlete is by far strongest in the championship rounds where the others have all faded, he'd stop them all over 15 rounds. The answer is clearly Froch.
              Last edited by Weebler I; 05-26-2015, 07:24 AM.

Comment

I think Dirrell is the most athletically gifted in the way the term is generally applied to boxing. He has unbelievable speed and reflexes for a 168lber. The thing is he relies on those attributes too much, and doesn't really have the mental game of a true elite champion, guys like Ward and Froch are winning machines. Those guys exist to win. I am not saying that Dirrell isn't a winner, or won't be a champion at some point, because I think he will. But thus far he has lost twice to fighters who were inferior to him in terms of physical ability, I don't think that would happen to a Ward, or a Mayweather, or a Bradley, these are guys who have proved to be elite American champions.

Ward is a level above though as a fighter due to his technical, skill, and mental level. I would not be surprised at all if Dirrell out speeds and out lands Ward in the middle of the ring if they every fought, but Ward will adjust, he is more versatile, he'll find a way. Against DeGale, in the second half of the fight Dirrell showed heart, came back and fought harder, but I didn't actually see him make any real adjustments, he just fought harder and to be fair DeGale stepped off the gas. If Dirrell learns to win rounds not at his best, or when he is not fresh he will become very difficult to beat, DeGale out hustled him in the championship rounds when he really needed them, he let DeGale get him on the ropes, I think thats where a true elite fighter would find a way to nullify and win those rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
                  Froch the genetically gifted athlete is by far strongest in the championship rounds where the others have all faded, he'd stop them all over 15 rounds. The answer is clearly Froch.
                  Sorry for scoffing but Athleticsm is not certainly equal with stamina, stamina is only a little part of it.
                  With the same effort you would say that marathon runners are more athletically gifted than sprinters because they have a better stamina?

Comment

btw...
                    Maybe I would say Dirrell here but sadly he can't live up to it with his mind...

Comment

Originally posted by HEND View Post
                      Sorry for scoffing but Athleticsm is not certainly equal with stamina, stamina is only a little part of it.
                      With the same effort you would say that marathon runners are more athletically gifted than sprinters because they have a better stamina?
                      It's not the only part but it's a big part, a very big one.

Comment

Working...
                      X