No announcement yet.

Marquez: Skilled Cotto studied less skilled Martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaraVeeYah! View Post
    Cotto is quoted as saying Martinez has a "habit of keeping his right hand down" and how that plays into his left hook.
    On his belt Did Cotto swap Monzon's pic with Martinez ?

Comment

Did Lord Warquez say this on Golpe a Golpe?

Comment

Originally posted by 12TRIBEsRiSe View Post
        when has sergio ever had good head movement? his defense was his movement which is why hes always knocked down and off balance, it worked for him against not so great boxers but its not gonna cut it vs top fighters bro
        I happen to agree. I admit, it's easy for fans to get caught up watching Sergio style on slower guys with so so skills but Cotto in this sense, represented a new problem for Sergio and Sergio knew it early in the night. I think Cotto's pop, shocked Sergio as he was expecting less from the "short" Cotto. Sergio got caught up in thinking he was bigger so he would win and forgot to factor in Cotto's ability and speed relative to someone like Chavez.

Comment

Originally posted by 12TRIBEsRiSe View Post
          when has sergio ever had good head movement? his defense was his movement which is why hes always knocked down and off balance, it worked for him against not so great boxers but its not gonna cut it vs top fighters bro
          You're off base here. There's a huge difference between the Sergio of a few years ago and the one that fought Cotto. namely, the fact that he DID use head movement, and that he was able to pivot, and angle his upper body, because of his legs. I beg you to watch anything pre Chavez Jr, and tell me that that's the same Sergio.

Also, the legs tie into literally everything in boxing. He was dragging his feet, and couldn't even throw combinations while in trading distance. He couldn't even plant his legs for shots, let alone take a shot with stiff legs, and no base.

My point still stands. You saying that Sergio doesn't have great head movement has no bearing, because I said he showed NO HEAD MOVEMENT, WHATSOEVER. And you can't take a punch, when you don't have the ability to move your head, because your knees can't stabilize that motion.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
            Did Lord Warquez say this on Golpe a Golpe?
            Gladiator Spartaquez probably used a podium in the middle of the universe to answer this question, rightfully so.

Comment

Originally posted by MaraVeeYah! View Post
              Marquez mentioned how while Martinez is good, he was not a technical boxer as is Cotto. Cotto knew Martinez dropped his right hand and was able to catch him. He reiterated that while Martinez was able to style on certain guys, Cotto being technically superior and quicker than Sergio's usual opponents, was able to beat him. He also said Martinez appeared afraid to be countered by Cotto after that 1st round.

Marquez: " In Cotto I saw a big improvement in patient aggression, speed and overall skill"

Chavez Sr. " Cotto worked hard with Roach and it showed."

They mentioned the flaw in Martinez circling into Cotto's left hook as opposed to his right.
              you forgot where JMM states also that Martinez was not at his best base on his legs and age

Comment

Cotto should be given all the accolades for this win. I remember alot of people on this damn site saying Martinez by destruction blah blah blah
                Always said COtto was more skilled and if he could take the bigger Martinez's punch he would win. But it was the opposite. Martinez couldnt even take a skilled Cotto's punch.
                Cotto did something what Mayweather and Pacquiao have been afraid to do just cuz of Sergio's one punch KO of Paul Williams which scared them off.
                Cotto did not care about the past and proved every1 wrong. Great win

Comment

Originally posted by CatchAndShoot View Post
                  You're off base here. There's a huge difference between the Sergio of a few years ago and the one that fought Cotto. namely, the fact that he DID use head movement, and that he was able to pivot, and angle his upper body, because of his legs. I beg you to watch anything pre Chavez Jr, and tell me that that's the same Sergio.

Also, the legs tie into literally everything in boxing. He was dragging his feet, and couldn't even throw combinations while in trading distance. He couldn't even plant his legs for shots, let alone take a shot with stiff legs, and no base.

My point still stands. You saying that Sergio doesn't have great head movement has no bearing, because I said he showed NO HEAD MOVEMENT, WHATSOEVER. And you can't take a punch, when you don't have the ability to move your head, because your knees can't stabilize that motion.
                  i never said sergio was 100% in this fight my thing is he loses to cotto at any point...if his head movement was so great why was he always knocked down and or troubled with n hit alot vs lesser technical/slower boxers? he had no good head movement (some movement but not great) but he has great lower body movement, a hell of an athlete for sure i wish i was in that kinda shape to fight that style...

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
                    With the kind of power display Cotto put on I don't think Martinez could have done anything. Every time Cotto landed squarely upstairs or down he was doing significant damage. Martinez never had a chance.
                    Barring the first round Cotto never truly hurt Martinez. Martinez was falling left and right by Cotto punches not because he was hurt but because his knees couldn't hold him up.

Comment

The legend speaks thank you based god

Comment

Working...
                      X