No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ismayl Sillakh – A Star Hopes to Be Born in 2012

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Ismayl Sillakh – A Star Hopes to Be Born in 2012

By Thomas Gerbasi - Contrary to popular belief, fighters aren’t made in the ring or the gym. Instead, that die is cast way before the gloves are laced up and mouthpieces are in. In the case of light heavyweight up and comer Ismayl Sillakh, his path was set on the streets of Zaporozhye, the city in southeastern Ukraine where he was born to a Ukrainian mother and West African father.

Favoring his father, a Sierra Leone native, Sillakh’s skin tone didn’t match that of most of his peers in the former Soviet Union, and racial slurs soon became a daily occurrence. Making matters worse was that his father traveled to England and left the family, which included Sillakh’s older and younger brother, when the future contender was just five. Soon, every day turned into a fight.

“My mother stayed alone with us three boys, and it was tough,” Sillakh told BoxingScene. “We were always fighting in the streets because kids would be like ‘hey n****r,’ and we would fight every day. Maybe this is why I went to boxing because I was fighting every day and my mother needed to put my energy in another way.”

It was a decision no one, save his future opponents, regretted. In the gym by the age of seven, Sillakh evolved into a top flight amateur, reportedly winning over 300 bouts, as well as a Silver medal in the 2005 World Championships. It was a love affair that started when he was young, through the power of video and local competitions, and still continues to this day.

[Click Here To Read More]

I enjoy watching this guy. I wish him well in his future because i believe he has a big future.

Comment

Will Tunney or other pro Eastern European posters support Ismayl, he isn't white. Ismayl spills the beans in this article about Eastern Europeans being racist. I see it often on these boards and completely agree. Ismayl is a good fighter but he isn't going to be a star fighting over there. He needs to come to America, get a real trainer, and go from there. Don't be like Pirog or Golovkin and rot away. Leave home and don't look back.

Comment

I have high hopes for this dude. How is he received by his own countrymen?

Comment

Originally posted by 2501 View Post
          I have high hopes for this dude. How is he received by his own countrymen?
          They call him a ******. I would assume he is received pretty poorly.

Comment

silakh is one of the rare talents thats facing an uphill battle in regards of getting big name fights and recognition

he has however already achieved getting the respect of non casual boxing fans on this board which has evoked my curiosity about him

if he is handled well then watch out for him to become a major force in the lhw division. he already has a chance of beating any top 10 fighter except the seasoned hopkins who could take advantage of his relative inexperience

Comment

Originally posted by -PANDA- View Post
              silakh is one of the rare talents thats facing an uphill battle in regards of getting big name fights and recognition

he has however already achieved getting the respect of non casual boxing fans on this board which has evoked my curiosity about him

if he is handled well then watch out for him to become a major force in the lhw division. he already has a chance of beating any top 10 fighter except the seasoned hopkins who could take advantage of his relative inexperience
              Sillakh certainly has gotten a lot of respect from boxing fans across the world, in a short period of time. He is very exciting but also very skilled. Usually don't get both but this kid has it all. He can achieve a lot and also put on a great show. I really hope he pans out but the last time I felt like this about a young fighter it was Linares and we have seen over the last few years his ups and downs.

Comment

sillakh , great professional , great person .

Comment

Ive seen a few of his fights and its not often i get excited by boxers of today....this guy impresses me. I hope he keeps his head in the game and looks straight ahead.

Like i said before, i reckon his future is big..

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
                    Sillakh certainly has gotten a lot of respect from boxing fans across the world, in a short period of time. He is very exciting but also very skilled. Usually don't get both but this kid has it all. He can achieve a lot and also put on a great show. I really hope he pans out but the last time I felt like this about a young fighter it was Linares and we have seen over the last few years his ups and downs.
                    exactly, but to be fair linares showed too much talent too early for his own good which encouraged his promoters to take risks with him. panda still feels he hasnt been in a fight he had no possibility of winning which tells u a lot about him. the point made earlier by me about silakh being brought up to a championship level is a key point for how his career will develop

Comment

Working...
                    X