Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cotto vs Martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a big Martinez and Cotto fan. But I remember seeing Martinez in the 24/7 and I saw footage of him walking in his hotel room. The way he was walking I knew something wasn't right. Then when for the first time in his career he wears gigantic shorts for the fight, and the news that Freddie Roach and the commission would not allow Martinez to wear knee supports for the fight I knew something was truly wrong.

I don't know what happened from the Murray fight up until the Cotto fight but he was truly not himself that night. I think Cotto is highly skilled but I am not convinced that the win he got over Martinez was legitimate. Also think of the uncharacteristic **** talking Martinez did to sell the fight. I think Martinez knew his state and wanted to cash out. He didn't even have a going away fight.

If you do research on knee injuries you will realize that even surgery is not very successful. I think he lost all mobility, and as a result his power in that fight. I wish we had seen Cotto v. Martinez in 2009-2011. Man that fight would have been great. Unfortunately we got something else.

Cotto gets respect from me for taking the fight, because for all he knew he was fighting a slightly past prime but healthy Martinez. But he does not get credit for that fight from me.

Comment

calculated risk from cotto that turned out good for him. martinez was cashing out

Comment

I literally gave Cotto no chance to beat Martinez.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun_Tzu View Post
          Thank you for answering. I cant say I Knew Cotto had his number but I knew he would fight until he was done.I can tell you it was one of the most enjoyable fights Ive seen in years. I personally love Cotto and Im truly appalled by the hate he gets. I was on my feet the entire fight. Its interesting to me that you dont like Golovkin. They are very similar.

How did you get so much red in 400 posts, lol. If i knew how to do it id give you some green to even it out.
          I like Golovkin; I'm just waiting for him to have a top-level fight, so I can see whether he matches the hype. He's certainly tough and a great puncher. There are differences on the elite level, so we'll have to wait and see. If it weren't for the Canelo decision, I believe Cotto would've gone through with Golovkin's challenge. That would've been awesome.

lol I said that Floyd didn't fight Miguel Cotto, Pacquiao, etc in their primes, and some Floyd fan gave me a red K. He had a ton of points, so I'm not even sure someone can turn it around. Plus, I regularly debate in the lounge, and people get frustrated when they lose and red K me, too. lol

I treat it like a badge of honor. But, if you'd like to try to change it, you hit the Karma button to the lower right of this message and select whether you want to leave positive or negative.

Thanks!

Comment

Martinez was never the same after the Chavez Jr. fight. He got a gift decision in his previous fight and had a year layoff and 2 knee surgeries before the Cotto fight. It then came out that he was not even able to spar in camp before the Cotto fight.
            This was not the Sergio Martinez that put Paul Williams to sleep. He hadn't been that guy for a long time.
            His knee pretty much gave out in the first round and Cotto was able to go in with reckless abandon after the first round and he knew Sergio was done.
            People were convinced that Freddy Roach had revived Cotto to his pre Margacheato days but it was a case of great match making to make Cotto look good before he cashed himself out against Canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by QballLobo View Post
              Martinez was never the same after the Chavez Jr. fight. He got a gift decision in his previous fight and had a year layoff and 2 knee surgeries before the Cotto fight. It then came out that he was not even able to spar in camp before the Cotto fight.
              This was not the Sergio Martinez that put Paul Williams to sleep. He hadn't been that guy for a long time.
              His knee pretty much gave out in the first round and Cotto was able to go in with reckless abandon after the first round and he knew Sergio was done.
              People were convinced that Freddy Roach had revived Cotto to his pre Margacheato days but it was a case of great match making to make Cotto look good before he cashed himself out against Canelo.
              Excellent post. It's not about "nuthugging" or "excuses". I felt cheated watching that fight. Martinez was literally hobbling around on one leg. His knee was well beyond repair and he was just cashing out knowing his career was over.

Shame on Martinez for going through with the fight and cheating fans out of their money. And shame on Cotto fanboys for trying to call this a credible win.

Comment

Most picked Sergio to win but then after he got his azz kicked everyone blamed the knees, typical.

Comment

Originally posted by Lords View Post
                  Most picked Sergio to win but then after he got his azz kicked everyone blamed the knees, typical.
                  I picked Sergio to win because I assumed his knees would work.

My mistake for not considering that.

But seeing him hobbling around as soon as the bell rang like he had no cartilage in his knees and was relying on braces to hold his legs in place it was plain as day what was going to happen

A decent 135lb fighter would have beaten him that night.

Comment

The pulse was that Martinez would win. He danced around Chavez while Cotto got clowned by Trout. However, within a few seconds of the bell it was clear that Sergio was hobbling around like a newborn deer. When a guy's entire game revolves around his movement, taking that away makes him a sitting duck. His condition was bad enough that he never returned.
                    Sergio cashed out. That's the story of that 'fight'.

Comment

Am sorry even though i picked Martinez to beat Cotto, I just can't give Cotto credit for the version of Martinez that he beat. I just can't get past the disabled Martinez that i saw in that ring. And to be honest it isn't about Cotto as i would feel the same about anyone who stepped in that ring on that night against Martinez.

The fact that we could all see the physical disability on HD, unfolding right in front of our eyes, just makes it difficult to make this "win" a bigger deal.

Comment

Working...
                      X