Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DLH v Canelo v PBF v Pac v Tyson PPV History at 25 Years Old; Canelo future PPV King?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea there is no arguing that Canelo is doing impressive ****.

Looking at this stats I do feel like Oscar deserves some adjustments for inflation or just the hardships of being the first non-HW PPV star or something lol. Oscar had to pay his dues & lay the ground work for Manny & Floyd to capitalize off his name & therefore have a easier road then Oscar who needed to build his name off of non-PPV stars. Oscar's numbers should be 2x'd or something.

But impressive results all the same for Oscar & Canelo at a young age. That Mexican fanbase is no f#cking joke. If I was a up & coming non-Mexican fighter I'd at least get a sexy ass Mexican girlfriend with nice cleavage to sit ringside jumping up & down a lot & I'd hire Nacho as my trainer just to try to scoop up some of those Mexican fans as best as I could.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      Yea there is no arguing that Canelo is doing impressive ****.

Looking at this stats I do feel like Oscar deserves some adjustments for inflation or just the hardships of being the first non-HW PPV star or something lol. Oscar had to pay his dues & lay the ground work for Manny & Floyd to capitalize off his name & therefore have a easier road then Oscar who needed to build his name off of non-PPV stars. Oscar's numbers should be 2x'd or something.

But impressive results all the same for Oscar & Canelo at a young age. That Mexican fanbase is no f#cking joke. If I was a up & coming non-Mexican fighter I'd at least get a sexy ass Mexican girlfriend with nice cleavage to sit ringside jumping up & down a lot & I'd hire Nacho as my trainer just to try to scoop up some of those Mexican fans as best as I could.
      But Oscar had Whitaker, Chavez, Trinidad and Mosley around his weight class. The only HOF'ers Canelo has available 3 are smaller men, but he fought 2 of them at least, May and Cotto. I don't think he can fight Pacquiao, due to size issues.

Comment

Not a chance

Canelo will never catch or get near Mayweather #s, popularity , career earnings . He's not built to last and have a long career. He's just filling the void until the next Superstar comes along.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          But Oscar had Whitaker, Chavez, Trinidad and Mosley around his weight class. The only HOF'ers Canelo has available 3 are smaller men, but he fought 2 of them at least, May and Cotto. I don't think he can fight Pacquiao, due to size issues.
          Those guys were names, but not PPV stars really. Oscar had to create the non-HW PPV star. Most of these other names didn't become PPV guys at all. And I'd say Mosley wasn't so much a PPV star as the greatest PPV co-star in boxing history with like 4M of his 5M+ buys in fights with Oscar, Floyd & Manny & few numbers when he was the A side. And Tito didn't become a PPV star til he beat Oscar, although calling him a PPV star might be overstating the case as I believe there were many gaps between his PPV fights until his last handful of fights.

I just think Oscar is like the pioneer for these other guys. PPV was basically a HW thing til Oscar came along. His road was a lot rougher then these other guys & if Floyd & Manny weren't able to fight & beat a guy like Oscar there own road to becoming PPV stars becomes infinitely tougher & certainly much less impressive than their current numbers show.

Comment

People forget Canelo turned pro at 14. It's not he like turned pro 21 like most pros and this by 25. Canelo will do solid numbers depending on how he continues to improve and if other stars are born to do better numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              Those guys were names, but not PPV stars really. Oscar had to create the non-HW PPV star. Most of these other names didn't become PPV guys at all. And I'd say Mosley wasn't so much a PPV star as the greatest PPV co-star in boxing history with like 4M of his 5M+ buys in fights with Oscar, Floyd & Manny & few numbers when he was the A side. And Tito didn't become a PPV star til he beat Oscar, although calling him a PPV star might be overstating the case as I believe there were many gaps between his PPV fights until his last handful of fights.

I just think Oscar is like the pioneer for these other guys. PPV was basically a HW thing til Oscar came along. His road was a lot rougher then these other guys & if Floyd & Manny weren't able to fight & beat a guy like Oscar there own road to becoming PPV stars becomes infinitely tougher & certainly much less impressive than their current numbers show.
              Neither Oscar vs Mosley fight did a mil

Comment

Don't forget to add Little G in the original post! 97K!

Comment

Originally posted by dc3383 View Post
                  Neither Oscar vs Mosley fight did a mil
                  And? That was the 4th biggest non-HW PPV in history at the time. Oscar vs Mosley II would be the 2nd biggest non-HW PPV in history after it happened. Your not adding in the context. People buying non-HW fights, unless it was some epic superfight ****, didn't used to be a thing til Oscar came along.

Here's the top 10 non-HW PPV's of all time after Oscar vs Mosley I. Oscar was murdering PPV like no non-HW had ever done back then when no one gave a f#ck about paying to see non HW's fight.

De La Hoya vs Trinidad 1.4M buys (1999)
                  De La Hoya vs Whitaker 720k buys (1997)
                  Leonard vs Lalonde 646k buys (1988)
                  De La Hoya vs Mosley I 590k buys (2000)
                  Leonard vs Hearns I 583k buys (1981)

De La Hoya vs Quartey 570k buys (1999)
                  De La Hoya vs Camacho 560k buys (1997)
                  De La Hoya vs Chavez II 525k buys (1998)
                  De La Hoya vs Gonzalez 340k buys (1997)
                  De La Hoya vs Ruelas 330k buys (1995)

Comment

You can't compare PPV numbers from the past with those now, PPV is available in more homes and there's better marketability to entice people into buying them. Too many uncontrollable variables that are hard to pin down.

As for Canelo, he's just a placeholder. He isn't the next megastar, he's just the #1 guy by default until the next big, big name comes along. He's Larry Holmes before Tyson, Oscar Dela Hoya before Mayweather, etc.

Comment

Canelo numbers edited to 460k

Comment

Working...
                      X