Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Khan-Peterson a Possibility For December 10th Clash

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just fight the winner of maidana/guerrero... no one wants to watch khan fight peterson. morales is not an option for 2013, but hopefully matthyse wins anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy! View Post
      He doesn't have the foot speed or head movement to stick to Khan. His defense consists mostly of blocking, you need someone who's quick on his feet and can move their head and upper body well, someone like Bradley.
      I can't agree bro...Peterson has pretty fast feet and great timing..His feet won't need to be that fast either when you think about the reach advantage will be with Peterson..He won't have to work as hard to get inside on Khan..Don't forget,what's the best thing to off set speed??You got it timing and Petersons timing is really good bro and he has a really good jab as well..This is the best fight that can be made at this weight for Khan other then Bradley..Its also one Khan better be ready for,this is no gimmie fight Peterson is very dangerous...

Comment

Good fight. Make it happen.

Comment

He doesn't have the foot speed or head movement to stick to Khan. His defense consists mostly of blocking, you need someone who's quick on his feet and can move their head and upper body well, someone like Bradley.
          I disagree considering Khan's footwork is not that good and I feel Peterson has a good enough defense between his blocking and rolling punches to do some very good counter work on Khan especially when Khan throws those bull**** amatuer combos. Or when Khan starts to throw punches and is not bringing his feet with him. Khan has a coordination problem sometimes and I think Peterson can capitalize on that. Khan has special hand speed everything else is ordinary. So I don't see how so many people see this fight as a wipe out.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
            He has the best resume at 140...period. So I don't know how you can criticise him of being a cherry picker, it is ridiculous.

Khan himself has always stated he will fight the matthysse-morales winner, or Peterson. Quite frankly those are the best 2 options, obviously he would rather it be Morales who is a huge name in the sport and probably a less risky fight, but I am sure he will fight any of those guys.
            Khan has the best resume??? He beat a way way way past his prime Barrera. He beat Paulie Malignaggi, WOW. He beat a prime Maidana, his best win. Then, he beat a past prime Zab Judah. Bradley, regardless if he truly is ducking Khan, beat Abregu, Peterson, and Alexander when they were all undefeated and in their primes. His is as good as Khan's, if you ask me. Morales-Matthysse winner is probably going to fight Bradley in early 2012, at least WBC said Bradley will get the first shot at the winner. Khan's options right now are to fight Lamont Peterson, Marcos Maidana, or some other 140 lb challenger.

Peterson is in his prime, but won't do him any favors for his resume, simply because Bradley already beat Peterson. It would be a solid win, but not a great win. Marcos Maidana would be a good challenge, and he is still in his prime. Although, the win wouldn't mean as much this time around, simply because he already beat Maidana and Maidana looked like crap against Morales. The challengers he could fight are a list as well. Mike Alvarado and Jessie Vargas are about the only names that would make sense and be good defenses of his title. Vargas needs at least a few more fights against decent people to get a title shot and Alvarado needs a fight against another top notch contender to get his shot, hopefully they will. If I was Khan, I would probably just fight Lamont Peterson. Let Maidana talk smack about ducking the rematch, who cares. You already beat him once, and aside from a 10th round scare, Khan was in total control most of the time. Then after he beats Peterson, he's moving up to 147 anyway. He has way more options there for a first fight.

Rumor has it that he is talking about fighting Matthew Hatton for his first fight at 147, which be complete crap. He shouldn't waste time fighting that guy, AT ALL. He could fight Andre Berto (IBF Champ), Kell Brook, Victor Ortiz, Mike Jones, or even Shawn Porter would be a better option. He could also fight the winner of the Selcuk Aydin-Jo Jo Dan rematch. Again, if I were Khan, I would push hard for a fight with Andre Berto at 147 in March 2012. Khan-Berto would be a great fight. If Berto were to win, although I'd bet big money on Khan, he would make himself completely legit again with beat Khan. That would put Berto into talks of a big money fight with Mayweather. Pacquiao wouldn't fight Berto if he beats Khan, we all know that. On the other side, if Khan were to beat Berto for his IBF title, it would automatically elevate Khan to the top 3 or 4 at 147. It would make his showdown with Mayweather look that much better.

Hopefully Mayweather-Pacquiao happens, or else that all could be completely screwed up for sure. If Mayweather-Pacquiao doesn't happen in Spring 2012, than Pacquiao may very well face Andre Berto instead, because Berto has shown major signs of weakness his last two fights. Ortiz slugged it out with him to a UD win. And Zaveck even had great success tagging Berto (who has ZERO defense). The only reason Berto won was because he's a power puncher, and his shots on Zaveck showed with the cuts. If Zaveck didn't cut so easily, that would have been a very interesting fight in the end. Andre Berto would be a better option for Pacquiao than anyone else he's fought since Marquez in 2008, thats true. But it seems like something Pacquiao would do, considering Berto got beat and looked average in his fight against Zaveck.

Anyways, if I was Amir Khan, I would fight Lamont Peterson in December, and than push for a fight with Berto in March/April.

Comment

Peterson is a really good fighter, as much as I like him, he just doesn't match too well against Amir Khan stylistically. This is still a very credible opponent for Khan, so no one can't say nothing.
              The only reason I disagree with this is because not only is Peterson's footwork better than Khan's, but he knows how to cut off the ring. That mixed with how he goes to the body and his ability to break up a combination by countering, I actually think he'd have Khan and Roach stumped.

Comment

Originally posted by tredh View Post
                I disagree considering Khan's footwork is not that good and I feel Peterson has a good enough defense between his blocking and rolling punches to do some very good counter work on Khan especially when Khan throws those bull**** amatuer combos. Or when Khan starts to throw punches and is not bringing his feet with him. Khan has a coordination problem sometimes and I think Peterson can capitalize on that. Khan has special hand speed everything else is ordinary. So I don't see how so many people see this fight as a wipe out.
                Exactly, exactly. We're seeing the same thing about the two fighters. What Peterson doesn't get enough credit for is his timing, as well. He knows how to catch fighters coming in and when to throw a shot while on the move in any direction.

To be honest, I don't believe he was putting it on Mayweather the way Hunter tried to say he was... but I do happen to believe that Peterson was able to hold his own against Mayweather in their sparring sessions.

Comment

I have no desire to see either

Comment

Originally posted by davis828 View Post
                    The only reason I disagree with this is because not only is Peterson's footwork better than Khan's, but he knows how to cut off the ring. That mixed with how he goes to the body and his ability to break up a combination by countering, I actually think he'd have Khan and Roach stumped.
                    I'm not arguing against Peterson's footwork, more his foot speed and his defensive style not being well suited for this fight. To me, Peterson would have to change his whole mentality if he wants to win this, and he's never showed me to be the kind of guys who's willing to walk through fire to win.

Stylistically it's a bad match up for Peterson, I'm not against the fight though, I say make it happen.

Comment

Yea it's a good fight but Khan will beat him easy. In every possible category Khan is superior. Faster hands and feet, longer reach, more strength, and bigger size. Khan should bust him up.

There's really no threat for Khan at 140, other than Bradley. Matthysse is over rated, he'd get destroyed by Khan easy.

Comment

Working...
                      X