Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a robbery ruin the Super 6 tournament?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
    Perhaps I was exagerating, but I remember the last time euro-stars fought big name yanks and came on the losing end of highly debateable decisions. That was Sturm-DLH and Foreman-Schulz.

In fact I cannot remember any eurostar winning a fight in the US against a yank superstar. That probably says more about my dementia than anything else though.....
    Big name yank...Yuri Foreman.

De La Hoya's Mexican. Just because his mother spouted him out of her vagina on American land doesn't all of the sudden make him an American.

Comment

Perhaps I was exagerating, but I remember the last time euro-stars fought big name yanks and came on the losing end of highly debateable decisions. That was Sturm-DLH and Foreman-Schulz.

In fact I cannot remember any eurostar winning a fight in the US against a yank superstar. That probably says more about my dementia than anything else though.....
      Suppose at some point down the line in this tourney it turns out to be AA -vs- Kessler.. Two big name fighters with strong fan bases. Both very capable of selling tickets in their home countries.. How are they going to come to an agreement on where to hold the fight? Especially if someone were to have been robbed earlier in the tourney. Both parties would be particularly protective.

Comment

Originally posted by Rewind View Post
        I hope all the Euros get robbed. I will laugh if they do.
        Well your pretty much out of luck considering 2 of 3 fights are already slated to be at European Venues. Regardless, it might make sense for you to wish that the Americans can beat the Europeans square if you want American victories..

Comment

Your examples of Sturm-Oscar and Foreman-Schulz are the obvious ones. But Calzaghe did get a fair decision over here, despite losing on one card, and that was because of a KD.

Plus I think Ward is only a superstar in the Bay Area. That's mainly because most sports teams up there suck.

Like I said before, I think there's too much money involved for there to any corrupt decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by DrewWoodside View Post
            Suppose at some point down the line in this tourney it turns out to be AA -vs- Kessler.. Two big name fighters with strong fan bases. Both very capable of selling tickets in their home countries.. How are they going to come to an agreement on where to hold the fight? Especially if someone were to have been robbed earlier in the tourney. Both parties would be particularly protective.
            Good question. My money would be on Germany. Both are promoted by german Sauerland and they have that great arena in Berlin.

Of course danish national stadium Parken in Copenhagen is a possibility as well.

Maybe the homefield advantage goes to the top seed? That would fit in well with the overall format of the tournament actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadows208 View Post
              Your examples of Sturm-Oscar and Foreman-Schulz are the obvious ones. But Calzaghe did get a fair decision over here, despite losing on one card, and that was because of a KD.

Plus I think Ward is only a superstar in the Bay Area. That's mainly because most sports teams up there suck.

Like I said before, I think there's too much money involved for there to any corrupt decisions.
              Ward is a superstar in the bay area as far as I know. The way I hear it there'll be 20K spectators all rooting for Ward. Whether it's fair or not it will influence the judges.

Anyway I hope for fair decisions all the way through, but I think Kessler will go for the KO to avoid the risk of a hometown decision and to get the extra point.

Comment

Good question. My money would be on Germany. Both are promoted by german Sauerland and they have that great arena in Berlin.

Of course danish national stadium Parken in Copenhagen is a possibility as well.

Maybe the homefield advantage goes to the top seed? That would fit in well with the overall format of the tournament actually.
                How is top seed determined? By the points system of who knocks out most or wins most?

Comment

Yea it would. Overall # of victories wins a round robin, and 1 bad decision is 1 extra win and 1 extra loss 2 fighters don't deserve to have on their tally.

Comment

Originally posted by DrewWoodside View Post
                    How is top seed determined? By the points system of who knocks out most or wins most?
                    Yeah, it is based on the point system. I think if there's a draw, they then go to KOs, and if there's a tie still, they flip a coin.

Comment

Ward is a superstar in the bay area as far as I know. The way I hear it there'll be 20K spectators all rooting for Ward. Whether it's fair or not it will influence the judges.

Anyway I hope for fair decisions all the way through, but I think Kessler will go for the KO to avoid the risk of a hometown decision and to get the extra point.
                      I think he'll go for a KO too. This will be his first showing to a US audience and will want to make an impression.

Not going to lie though, from a US boxing fan perspective, 20,000 for the fight would be awesome.

Comment

Working...
                      X