No announcement yet.

Did Anyone Miss No One Important?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
    Marciano retired in '55, in 1955 Paterson was just entering the Heavyweight division from Lightheavy.
    If you think Cus was going to match Floyd with The Rock your delusional!

Ray
    I wondered if someone would catch that. I wasn't sure and I was too lazy to look up the dates. Stating it as a fact is a little dirty trick I sometimes use to find the truth. This little dirty trick almost always works.

I am not sure which Floyd would have been ready for the Rock. Was the one who won the title in a box-off with Moore still to inexperienced?

Anyway, your point well taken and clarified, probably a good case can be made that the Rock himself missed no one of significance. His era was so poor in prime talent that there was no one to dodge.

It is also doubtful that Louis missed anyone of signifcance, but I could get corrected here too.

Comment

Besides Patterson it can be argued that Rocky also missed Nino Valdes and Bob Baker.

I can see Baker but not Valdes, Valdes would be in to deep against Marciano.
      Ray
      This discussion is turning educational. What more do you know about this Baker guy? Did you ever see him fight? I guess that might be a little before your time.

Comment

I can see Baker but not Valdes, Valdes would be in to deep against Marciano.
        Ray
        Valdes beat Hurricane Jackson, Ezzard Charles and Don Cockell. He probably wouldn't have beat Marciano but surely he deserved a shot?
        Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 06-15-2016, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          Valdes beat Hurricane Jackson, Ezzard Charles and Don ****ell. He probably wouldn't have beat Marciano but surely he deserved a shot?
          That is surely a better than decent list of victories, depending partially on when he got them.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
            Did everyone really miss someone significant in their career while they were still prime?

Robinson missed Burley.

Dempsey missed Wills

Leonard missed Pryor

Lewis missed Bowe

Tyson missed Tua

Marciano missed Patterson

Does this list end with any champion who did not miss someone significant while they were still a threat?
            So says the noob...smh

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
              So says the noob...smh
              Robinson did not miss Burley. In your opinion he fought him. Okay.

Comment

Robinson did not miss Burley. In your opinion he fought him. Okay.
                He wasn't really 'significant' for Robinson at Middleweight and when Robinson was at Welter Burley was at Middleweight and at the tail end of his career, I think that's what he's referring too. Be it he was still Burley and a big name that Robinson could have fought.

Pryor turned down a career high payday to fight Leonard.

Think he's mistaking your thread, thinking it's this fighter ducked this fighter instead of them just missing a fight with someone great at the same time, maybe ?, I don't know.

Eder Jofre, Ruben Olivares, Michael Spinks, Carlos Monzon possible names here ?.

Comment

By God, lad, where are my interest points? I had a house full of people over for a points party. There we sat, waiting for the hour to come, and when it did nothing happened. I was mortified. People thought I was nothing but a empty braggart.

This is the second interest I have missed in a row. Need to get the staff on the ball, or folks will abandon you in droves.

Comment

Patterson fought Moore for the title Marciano vacated, so that says Patterson was fairly well developed while Rocky was still champ, or he would not have been the one fighting for the title.

Cus had a reputation of protecting Floyd for as long as he could. He saw the truth, and must have known it was much safer to fight Archie after Rocky vacated than push for a fight with the blockbuster which might have been premature.

Comment

Leonard missed Pryor
                      Pure fiction...
                      In fact Pryor is the one who ducked some guy. I forget the name...

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                      Oscar and chavez

Are you joking or something??

Comment

Working...
                      X