Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Floyd and Roy were the same size how do you see a fight going in their primes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roy would have won

Comment

Speed and volume is the kryptonite of counterpunchers, and Floyd doesn't have enough power on his shots P4P to crack Roys egg chin when he lands counters here and there.

You almost see this as a bigger version of JMM vs Pac but with pac winning fairly clearly. Obviously differences in style but you get what I mean.

Gerald Mclellan would probably have beaten Roy Jones, it'd take a fighter like that, someone who's fearless and could move his feet, to come inside and land a few hard shots until jones' egg cracks.

Comment

They fight to a draw.

Comment

So would the ts just drop to his knees the minute he saw Floyd or would he try to utter out some complements first?

Comment

Roy is faster by quite a bit in hands, foot and reflexes.. hits much harder too and is a great boxer to boot.

If Judah and Mosley can give Floyd trouble and scary moments (two fastest fighters he ever faced, with decent pop). I like Roy to go one better.

Comment

Roy eats his ass up just like he ate up a prime James Toney.

Comment

Hmmmm...

I meanNeither guy has faced anyone that resembled the other. Ice Griffin gave Jones problems early in the first fight by mixing it up, putting pressure on him and countering him, but Roy was unusually hesitant in that fight. He was throwing lazy jabs and trying to be patient.

But I think Roy is just faster and more powerful P4P than Floyd. Floyd is a gifted athlete himself and is skilled enough to maybe keep Roy off balance and avoid those traps. But I just think Roy's speed and power would be the difference.

But here's an interesting quote from Montell "Ice" Griffin who gave prime Roy his toughest fight and also sparred with Floyd:

I trained in Big Bear, California. We had a house out there. I had some good sparring and everything went good in that whole camp. I'm one of those guys that's deceptively fast and quick, so I knew...I'm not saying I'm faster than him [Roy Jones Jr.], but I knew I could match speed with him because of my timing. What we were working on in the gym is we had guys that were fast and threw a lot of punches, but what you want to do is punch when they finish punching. That's what I worked on all during camp. Thell Torrence was my trainer and he had my sparring partners come at me with the pads, or whatever, throwing fast and I would block all of their shots and as soon as they would finish punching, I would start punching. At the time, we knew Roy didn't like pressure, so we wanted to bring it right back to him. He wanted to fight when he wanted to fight, and you want to fight when he don't want to fight, so we worked on putting pressure on him and just counter-punching him and the main thing was just keep my hands up. There ain't no question he is the fastest man I have ever been in the ring with in my life. I sparred Floyd Mayweather when he was fighting at 140 pounds and he was no comparison as far as speed. Roy was that much faster than him.

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content9018.html

And keep in mind Griffin HATES Roy so him giving him props says a lot.
                Last edited by -PBP-; 10-04-2012, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
                  Speed and volume is the kryptonite of counterpunchers, and Floyd doesn't have enough power on his shots P4P to crack Roys egg chin when he lands counters here and there.

You almost see this as a bigger version of JMM vs Pac but with pac winning fairly clearly. Obviously differences in style but you get what I mean.

Gerald Mclellan would probably have beaten Roy Jones, it'd take a fighter like that, someone who's fearless and could move his feet, to come inside and land a few hard shots until jones' egg cracks.
                  Floyd's defense neutralizes volume. For every 5 points of energy you spend, he spends one. Plus Roy would be missing a lot. You're underrating Floyd's defense.

Also if they were the same size then Floyd would have much more power.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
                    Hmmmm...

I meanNeither guy has faced anyone that resembled the other. Ice Griffin gave Jones problems early in the first fight by mixing it up, putting pressure on him and countering him, but Roy was unusually hesitant in that fight. He was throwing lazy jabs and trying to be patient.

But I think Roy is just faster and more powerful P4P than Floyd. Floyd is a gifted athlete himself and is skilled enough to maybe keep Roy off balance and avoid those traps. But I just think Roy's speed and power would be the difference.

But here's an interesting quote from Montell "Ice" Griffin who gave prime Roy his toughest fight and also sparred with Floyd:

I trained in Big Bear, California. We had a house out there. I had some good sparring and everything went good in that whole camp. I'm one of those guys that's deceptively fast and quick, so I knew...I'm not saying I'm faster than him [Roy Jones Jr.], but I knew I could match speed with him because of my timing. What we were working on in the gym is we had guys that were fast and threw a lot of punches, but what you want to do is punch when they finish punching. That's what I worked on all during camp. Thell Torrence was my trainer and he had my sparring partners come at me with the pads, or whatever, throwing fast and I would block all of their shots and as soon as they would finish punching, I would start punching. At the time, we knew Roy didn't like pressure, so we wanted to bring it right back to him. He wanted to fight when he wanted to fight, and you want to fight when he don't want to fight, so we worked on putting pressure on him and just counter-punching him and the main thing was just keep my hands up. There ain't no question he is the fastest man I have ever been in the ring with in my life. I sparred Floyd Mayweather when he was fighting at 140 pounds and he was no comparison as far as speed. Roy was that much faster than him.

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content9018.html

And keep in mind Griffin HATES Roy so him giving him props says a lot.
                    Floyd has quick hands but not blistering, but it's the accuracy and the way he sets himself that does the damage.

Like Amir Khan has a lot faster handspeed but he's not accurate and has a **** sense of gravity, throwing off balance etc

Floyd is a great puncher in terms of effective punching, one of the best

Comment

Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
                      Roy is faster by quite a bit in hands, foot and reflexes.. hits much harder too and is a great boxer to boot.

If Judah and Mosley can give Floyd trouble and scary moments (two fastest fighters he ever faced, with decent pop). I like Roy to go one better.
                      You do know that Floyd utterly dominated Judah and Mosley right? How did they give him trouble?

Comment

Working...
                      X