Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Monzon get a pass and Valero does not?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My bad. I don't browse here often at all these days.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
      The 500 pound man

Recently when asked a consortium of the very best boxing trainers came up with a very specific answer regarding the talent, the drive, the skills and serendipity to be a champion. In the words of this 1% elite fistic cohort:

"skills are kind of important.....Athletic ability, yeah thats good to have, talent is probably ok.....Drive, well at least until you are rakkin it in! I mean would you have the drive to get in the ring if I was giving you new houses and cars?" Note trainers laugh at this point.

SO guys I just have to ask what is that unique gift.... that spark, that rare stratified air that the gods of mount olympus and our champion breathe?

Almost in complete unisome they replied "he has to be 500 pounds." What?! "Thats right a 500 pound heavyweight would win. We could probably do with a 350 pounder who could ambulate, but nothing compares to a 500 pound man can you imagine it? First of all he would not have to cut the ring off, just standing in the ring he takes up half.....And body punching? psssst just leaning in the other guy while taking up all the ring, then you teach him a few punches, to grab the other guy when he tries to punch and you have it made!"

I asked them how this fight might look....."probably like the Klitschko Povatkin fight. Povatkin made one stupid error that showed inexperience that fight...." what was that? I asked "he tried to fight a boxing match with Klitschko....And of course every time he tried to punch he would be grabbed...Klitschko was a genius that night, where as most guys would wait until the opponent got close to them? Klitschko would grab at a distance even before Povatkin attempted to punch!"

The trainers were getting tired so they wrapped it up for yours truly....."fighters are getting bigger and stronger....We are scouting for that genetic harbinger of things to come! thats right we are going to find a 500 pound man and make him a champ!
      There you have it folks! The uncensored truth!

The highlighted area just re-affirms what I’ve long been assured of. The “art” of punching is soon forever lost to history, and will just be a little footnote when boxing history is discussed by future generations.

Some questions regarding ”Operation Porky”:

How long do they expect their searching would take? Two years? Five years? Ten years?

Do they have any specific search-area for this creature?

US seem to have a lot of potential, but you never know with the Chinese. They have spies everywhere and have almost certainly come across classified information regarding the diets of the US citizens. Maybe they have even started to execute a plan of how to create the next great heavyweight.

One thing is sure though, USA won’t have all the time in the world before getting competition.

Just imagine this worst case scenario for the Americans:

Top Wank and Macau Resorts & Hotel Proudly Presents
      World Heavyweight Championship Boxing

“It’s been a whale…”

Xang-Li (CHINA) vs Chong-Peck (CHI) II

“The most anticipated rematch of all-time is finally here.”
      Dong-Rah Fel (Chinese boxing historian)

How infuriated wouldn’t the American promoters and fans be by that? Top Rank surely must feel the threat at least, possibly losing the Macau market to some Chinese people?

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
        I don't think anyone gives either guy a pass for their crimes. Both were scumbags; however, Monzon was undeniably an all-time great fighter... Valero obviously wasn't.
        Have to agree with this right here.

Comment

What kind of thread is this anyway?

I mean who the hell cares about what they did outside the ring? I couldn’t care less to be honest.

My opinions about Monzon as a fighter wouldn't change even if he had killed half of Argentina's population, because it isn't relevant.
          Last edited by greeh; 07-15-2014, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by greeh View Post
            What kind of thread is this anyway?

I mean who the hell cares about what they did outside the ring? I couldn’t care less to be honest.

My opinions about Monzon as a fighter wouldn't change even if he had killed half of Argentina's population, because it isn't relevant.
            I think it varies from person to person and fighter to fighter. Some I couldn't care less what they've done, others rub me the wrong way. Either way I try to prevent it from clouding my judgement on how a fighter has performed in the ring, and at the end of the day that is why I watch this sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Viti Ben-Wa View Post
              I think it varies from person to person and fighter to fighter. Some I couldn't care less what they've done, others rub me the wrong way. Either way I try to prevent it from clouding my judgement on how a fighter has performed in the ring, and at the end of the day that is why I watch this sport.
              Heres the problem with these threads. Its also the reason why Green's reasoning is not cold blooded nor indifferent. Ok so.....Can you tell me how much you know about the ethics of 1/3rd of all ATG fighters? Probably not, I would wager that most people know very little about the character of professional athletes, that is unless we have an Aaron Hernandez situation, then.....everyone suddenly decides to take the moral high ground.

The bottom line is there may be many wife beating, sociopathic personalities in boxing....hence the need to look at the boxing not the public persona. If you can't judge all by the same standrd don't judge one! Athletes generally do the time when they commit the crime....just ask Floyd, they don't need a Greek Chorus to shame them as well.

The other problem is that do you really know what happened? Do we know anything about the women involved in these situations? People tend to oversimplify these situations.

So the way I see it is unless I can know and apply the same standard to all boxers, I don't have the right to assume things from gossip. Its not like if fans don't judge a boxer he won't have to deal with the law... Many if these guys have episodes thats the reality.

Comment

I don't think Monzon gets a pass, he was extremely popular in south America and after he went to prison he lost alot of fans. Valero was a coward with only a few fans. Murdered his wife and took the cowards way out.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                  Heres the problem with these threads. Its also the reason why Green's reasoning is not cold blooded nor indifferent. Ok so.....Can you tell me how much you know about the ethics of 1/3rd of all ATG fighters? Probably not, I would wager that most people know very little about the character of professional athletes, that is unless we have an Aaron Hernandez situation, then.....everyone suddenly decides to take the moral high ground.

The bottom line is there may be many wife beating, sociopathic personalities in boxing....hence the need to look at the boxing not the public persona. If you can't judge all by the same standrd don't judge one! Athletes generally do the time when they commit the crime....just ask Floyd, they don't need a Greek Chorus to shame them as well.

The other problem is that do you really know what happened? Do we know anything about the women involved in these situations? People tend to oversimplify these situations.

So the way I see it is unless I can know and apply the same standard to all boxers, I don't have the right to assume things from gossip. Its not like if fans don't judge a boxer he won't have to deal with the law... Many if these guys have episodes thats the reality.
                  That's the thing, we all see things differently, all have certain biases that let us hate one fighter while loving another. At the end of the day a scumbag is a scumbag. I may enjoy watching certain fighters, but that doesn't mean I want to hang out with him. I have no doubt most fighters are mean SOB's in their personal lives. Many guys need that edge or attitude to keep them focused. All things considered though, I'd rather watch an exciting scumbag than a boring choir boy inside the ring. Like it or not these guys make boxing a better sport to watch. O don't have to like them, but what do I really care? At the end of it all they're nothing to me personally except entertainment.

Comment

I'll probably get flack for this but I don't consider "women-beaters" as bad as murderers like White Knights do, because there is two sides to every story and with these boxers, the other side is lost in this feminist society. And I'm not a white knight who thinks you never lay a hand on a woman no matter what poison she puts out verbally or attacks you first.

Comment

Working...
                    X