No announcement yet.

Francesco Damiani today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Francesco Damiani today

Found a thread on this talented but overlooked fighter from the 90's on another forum and thought I'd get this sections opinions on him and how he might fare in today's heavyweight division with the exception of the Klits.

Damiani certainly didn't look like a fighter, but he had enough skill to school a prime Ray Mercer until have his nose busted and turned into a faucet. At 6'3" and around 230lbs he's the right size to fit in with the super heavies. So how would he do today and how do you rate his skills?

I remember Damiani pretty well. He was a very good boxer. Good amateur and pro. During his career I used to think he resembled Cooney in a way.
    One of the early wbo champs he was easly out boxing fellow olympian Ray Mercer before Mercer busted his nose. Was anything said at the other forum about how he is doing now? I would like to know.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
      I remember Damiani pretty well. He was a very good boxer. Good amateur and pro. During his career I used to think he resembled Cooney in a way.
      One of the early wbo champs he was easly out boxing fellow olympian Ray Mercer before Mercer busted his nose. Was anything said at the other forum about how he is doing now? I would like to know.
      Don't know what Famishing is up to nowadays, but it was his nose that gave him the resemblance to Coinsurance no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
        Don't know what Famishing is up to nowadays, but it was his nose that gave him the resemblance to Coinsurance no doubt.
        Was a silver medalist at the 1984 Olympics and had fast hands and good movement for a heavyweight, but a typical 'Roman nose' that would've been a handicap to any fighter but in Damiani's case, ended his career.. That was when Olly McCall busted it again which was'nt so long after Mercer.
        Although skilled, he always appeared more flesh than flash and imo could've done with a lot more work on his physical conditioning..

Comment

Size is about it! Couldn't punch and couldn't take! Tried to box like an amatuer in the pros and that only works for a while even if your great at it which he wasn't. I think I had Whimpy Halstead spar with him at the To Tip Gym in Milan Italy and the guy got moved around by a lightheavy. (172) He did ok against hand picked guys but he couldn't step up to money bouts. Ray

Comment

I had a friend who lived next door. He used to check everyone's nose to verify whether that person would be capable of being a successful boxer. My Roman nose didn't make his grade! It seemed to be a handicap for Damani. But, Rocky Marciano didn't let his get in the way of greatness!!
            Last edited by Mintcar923; 05-10-2012, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Can't remember... did Damiani ever fight Foreman? I know there was talk of said fight.

Comment

He was deceptively good. Looked like a bit of a slob with plodding feet, but had excellent general composure, good timing and knew how to make his shots count. Not massive power that I can recall, and very vulnerable to getting his nose busted which would always be a problem, but I can see him causing a couple of upsets and making life hard for a number of today's heavies, especially those who lack the sharpness or the power to keep him at bay. Povetkin would hate fighting this guy (but then he hates fighting anyone nowadays...)

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                  Can't remember... did Damiani ever fight Foreman? I know there was talk of said fight.
                  Not Foreman, Johnny DuPlooy, Tyrell Biggs, Mercer and McCall. The last two were his only losses. Briggs fight was revenge for an Olympic loss in Los Angeles.

Comment

Stop with the nose excuses already. Plenty of fighters have had weak noses but have had successful careers. I remember Kelly Pavlik had a run where his nose was broken is successive fights (and earlier on) and he managed to win - in fact, I think his nose was broken during his ring entrance on one or more occasions..

Comment

Working...
                    X