Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guerrero vacates junior lightweight title as his wife battles cancer

GUERRERO VACATES JUNIOR LIGHTWEIGHT TITLE

AS HIS WIFE BATTLES CANCER

LOS ANGELES, February 16 - Two-Division World Champion Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero, the current IBF Junior Lightweight World Title holder, announced today that he is relinquishing his title in order to care for his wife Casey, who is currently battling leukemia.

"It is with great regret that I am relinquishing the junior lightweight championship of the world that I, along with my team, worked so hard to capture," said the 26-year old Guerrero. "I feel that it is in the best interest of the sport and the fans that I care so deeply for to give someone else a chance to fulfill their dream of becoming a World Champion. I am now focused on the love of my life, my wife Casey, as undoubtedly we face the greatest opponent of our life, cancer. Whatever the outcome, our faith in Jesus Christ will get us through. Thank you for the prayers and support. God bless."

Casey Guerrero, who was stricken with leukemia in 2007, is currently recovering from a bone marrow transplant and chemotherapy treatment. Within the next two to three weeks it will be known whether her latest treatment was a success or not.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the Guerrero family during this tough time," said Oscar de la Hoya, president of Golden Boy Promotions. "We respect his decision to vacate his title and will do everything in our power to get him back in for a World Title shot when he is ready to return to the ring."

"We would like to thank everyone involved with Golden Boy Promotions for their support and understanding in a very difficult situation," said Guerrero's co-managers, Bob Santos and Shelly Finkel.

I hope all goes well for him and his wife.

Comment

My thoughts and prayers are with the ghost. Stay Strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Iceta Lives View Post
        I hope all goes well for him and his wife.
        What he said.

Comment

Working...
        X