No announcement yet.

How bloody entertaining was Prince Naseem Hamed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
    I hated him back in his prime! But u know damn well i tuned in to watch him! Complete entertainer, funny, unpredictable and capable of insane defensive moves and highlight reel type KO's!

Barrera taxed that ass though

Im not saying The Prince would have won that fight by any stretch but I think its worth noting anyone around at the time knows his preparation wasn't good at all for that one
    I realized after the fight that he may not have prepared for it as well as he should have because he took Barrera lightly while barrera took the prince very seriously, infact I think that was one of barreras best performances.

Comment

A great entertainer,people hate him which is understandable but also ironic when he did so much for the sport,any genuine boxing fan appreciates guys like Hamed

Comment

Overrated fighter....overrated entertainer.

Fought and acted like a moron.

Comment

Originally posted by EDD1 View Post
          I realized after the fight that he may not have prepared for it as well as he should have because he took Barrera lightly while barrera took the prince very seriously, infact I think that was one of barreras best performances.
          Barrera was a BOSS that night, he got everything right, the pre fight talk of even more of the relentless aggression he was known for, the brilliant boxing tactics he used when fight night came, even the fouls were perfectly timed...he was not playing!

Comment

Genuinely mixed feelings to be honest with you.....

........on the one hand he was the first real, outlandish showman of the British ring. He was confident, hugely outspoken and often a flashy, risk-taker on fight night.

We had not seen anyone like Naz in the UK before, a skinny Arab kid from down-to-earth Yorkshire who felt and acted as if he was going to rule the world. Naz behaved like someone who came from Vegas when he actually hailed from gritty, not-so-glamorous Sheffield. That was always intriguing, as well as sometimes deeply comical.

I liked seeing a British fighter who shot from the hip both inside and outside the ring; for a while he was refreshing and deeply unconventional.

How would have thought a Brit fighter could move so extravagently and uncoventionally in the ring, relying on reflexes and pure speed, rather than a big hook and a straight jab?

The less lovely side of Naz was the way he taunted and belittled opponents, began to believe his own hype and of course fell short in his 'test of class' fight with a certain Senor Barrera.

Joe Calzaghe's memoirs reflect the way Naseem turned himself from a fresh, funny and gifted kid into an award-winning knob. Thankfully, on this occassion Naseem got well and truly sent to the naughty step by Carl Thompson. Enjoy!

"We went to store on Rodeo Drive and Naz said he was going to buy a watch and of course it was a Rolex that cost $250,000. "I'll give you $150,000 for it" he told the guy in the store. I don't think he really wanted it, just to give it the big 'un in front of us. I know I would never do that, or walk into the gym and ask the lads how much they were getting paid. But Naz was into that. Carl who keeps himself to himself but he was getting seriously wound up to the point where you could see that he wanted to rip Naz's head off. Naz was a like school yard bully trying to ridicule him. "What you wearing Carl?" "What's that on your head?" Finally Carl told him to "shut it. What is your ****ing problem? Look at you. I don't need to see your belts because you've got ears like a trophy. I could pick you up by grabbing them. Look at you. The only reason you have a bird is because you have money."

You could have cut the atmosphere with a knife. Everyone in the limo had fallen silent, except Carl, who wasn't finished. "If you say another word to annoy me, I'll take you outside and I'll sort you out," he said looking straight at Naz. "OK you ****ing dwarf?"

Naz was a chastened child but the rest of us roared with laughter and clapped Carl for hitting back so forcefully.

"What you being like that for?" Naz said lamely."

Comment

Jorge Maromero Paez!!

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
                The little terp only had 1 real live opponent his entire career...that being Barrera who kicked his ass for 12 rounds. Hamed kept trying to touch gloves and smiled at Barrera hoping he would go easy on him. Give me a break.
                Tom Johnson, Vuyani Bungu, and Wilfredo Vazquez weren't live opponents? Yeah you should stop talking about things you know nothing about

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                  Tom Johnson, Vuyani Bungu, and Wilfredo Vazquez weren't live opponents? Yeah you should stop talking about things you know nothing about

Tom Johnson...7 wins - 7 losses including and post Hamed and Vuyani Bungu was 2 wins - 3 losses. Wilfredo Vazquez at almost 38 was past his prime...as were Johnson and Bungu.

Hamed was a clown...most of his appeal was from the East Indian and Muslim communities...and people who just didn't know much about boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
                    Tom Johnson...7 wins - 7 losses including and post Hamed and Vuyani Bungu was 2 wins - 3 losses. Wilfredo Vazquez at almost 38 was past his prime...as were Johnson and Bungu.

Hamed was a clown...most of his appeal was from the East Indian and Muslim communities...and people who just didn't know much about boxing.
                    Tom Johnson had been unbeaten for 5 years when he fought Hamed. And why would you think Hamed had appeal in East Indian communities? Sounds like your confusing him with Amir Khan. He was huge throughout the UK and did big ratings on US television. You don't do numbers like he did from such a small sampling.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                      Tom Johnson had been unbeaten for 5 years when he fought Hamed. And why would you think Hamed had appeal in East Indian communities? Sounds like your confusing him with Amir Khan. He was huge throughout the UK and did big ratings on US television. You don't do numbers like he did from such a small sampling.
                      You're right...he's an arab. Thought he was East Indian because of how he looks. He only had 5 fights in the USA...so he was not huge there nor relevant for very long...especially after his allahu akbar ranting before one of his HBO fights and then getting exposed by Marco Antonio Barrera.

Comment

Working...
                      X