No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Top Rank, Golden Boy Begin To Move Past The 'Cold War'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Top Rank, Golden Boy Begin To Move Past The 'Cold War'

By Jake Donovan - There are so many other angles to identify the June 21 vacant featherweight title fight between Gary Russell and Vasyl Lomachenko.

You can call it a pairing of two former brilliant amateurs in search of their first championship win in the pro ranks. Perhaps it’s a matchup of an underachiever versus an overachiever. Maybe it’s simply a mismatch, a proven prospect waiting for the right opportunity, going up against a professional novice biting off more than he can chew in an ambitious start to the pro game.

The angle with which most seem obsessed, however, is that of Golden Boy versus Top Rank, and whether or not this fight is the first move towards the end of boxing’s Cold War.

Representatives for both companies were the only two in the room on the mid-April day a purse bid hearing was held for the right to promote the fight. Golden Boy won the bid with a whopping $1,052,500 offering. It was good enough to edge Top Rank by a mere $2,250 and absurdly high enough to raise questions if the two companies were determined to outdo each other for a fight that didn’t necessarily register in the grand scheme of things. [Click Here To Read More]

Whatever fight ends it, just imagine the crowd reaction when Buffer or the Showtime guy says "This event is brought to you by Top Rank Promotions in association with Golden Boy Promotions...."
    They might have to stop the intro's as everyone will be applauding..

Comment

Originally posted by QballLobo View Post
      Whatever fight ends it, just imagine the crowd reaction when Buffer or the Showtime guy says "This event is brought to you by Top Rank Promotions in association with Golden Boy Promotions...."
      They might have to stop the intro's as everyone will be applauding..
      most boxing fans have no clue there is a cold war.......so no, but i will be home happy and optimistic.

Comment

Oscar is more inclined to be the bigger man truth be told schaefer was just as stubborn as Arum

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
          Oscar is more inclined to be the bigger man truth be told schaefer was just as stubborn as Arum
          You mean Schaefer was more stubborn than Arum. Arum was open to do business but Schaefer made it clear he didn't want anything to do with Arum.

Comment

Stubborn hard headed egocentric people holding up the great sport of Boxing all at the expense of a Boxers career and livelihood as well as a loyal and faithful International Fan base. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. The Government should step in and regulate it!... and thats something that I would be hesitant to say in any other sport. Word!

Comment

Can only be good for the sport. Watch Floyd, Schaefer and that tranny Haymon try and ruin it.

Comment

I knew this was gonna happen. It was my first thought when i heard that piece of shlt Floyd was no longer fighting under GBP. Floyd with all his puzzy ass demands and chicken shlt ducking is nothing but a black eye for the sport. Better fights are to come.

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
                  I knew this was gonna happen. It was my first thought when i heard that piece of shlt Floyd was no longer fighting under GBP. Floyd with all his puzzy ass demands and chicken shlt ducking is nothing but a black eye for the sport. Better fights are to come.
                  Great post

Comment

this fight was signed when schaeffer was with GBP and Haymon manages Russell. WHat exactly did ODH have to do with making this fight?

Comment

Working...
                    X