Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Mexican fighters change their "mindless brawler" image?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Mexican fighters change their "mindless brawler" image?

I'm not sure But this is a huge step in the right direction...
    (Translated from spanish, original source below the article)

When you speak of Mexican boxing, you are speaking of one of the world's greatest powerhouses in this brutal yet beautiful sport. When you speak of the Northeast region of the country you must also speak of the city of Los Mochis, Sinaloa. The cradle to great Sinaloense champions and the first city to have produced a champion in the state.

In Los Mochis, Sinaloa many world champions and monarchs the likes of Jorge "Travieso" Arce, Humberto "Zorrita" Soto, Fernando "Cochulito" Montiel, Hugo Fidel Cazares, Antonio De Marco, Hugo "Cuatito" Ruiz, Humberto "Betillo" Gutiérrez, and Juan Carlos "Zurdito" Sánchez were born. Specifically for that reason, state authorities initiated a project to propel boxing in the state, especially in aforementioned city.

Firstly, the governer of Sinaloa, Mario Lopez Valdez created Patronato Impulsor del Deporte Sinaloense(PIDS), chaired by engineer Manuel Perez Muñoz. It was through PIDS' sponsorship, among others, that the Center of Multiple Uses(CUM) was built in Los Mochis. The same center that was recently inaugurated by the fight between Jhonny Gonzalez and Jorge Arce. This is also the most modern facility for the practice of the sport in the city.

Now, the city also has el Centro de Alto Rendimiento de Boxeo(CARB), a blueprint for facilities dedicated to the sport of boxing. This facility is the first of its kind in all of Mexico and was built not only to propel the youth towards the sport, but to prepare them in academics as well. In that manner they can strive to become better citizens and also have a professional career once they are done with boxing.

CARB is exclusive for the sport of boxing. The facility if for the usage of the youth and both sexes. Currently there are many children whom have to choose between studying or practicing boxing due to financial difficulties and hectic schedules, now in the aforementioned Center they can do both thanks to governmental scholarships.

In order to be accepted into CARB, boxing talent is not enough. In order for young men and women to join they must also have good grades, since part of the program is to help them develop careers outside of the sport.

The government of Sinaloa made a working agreement with Cuba, for that reason CARB has Cuban trainer Juan Fontanills amongst its staff. Not only that but they also have Cuban psychologists and teachers working at CARB. The young men and women of CARB also travel to Cuba once a year in order to mesh with other young Cuban fighters.

CARB is beginning to bear its fruit, the young fighters have won a significant amount of medals in several Mexican national tournaments and with every passing year they continue to raise the bar. They have developed to the point of becoming the "team to beat" and are aspiring to have representatives in the Olympics.

CARB consists of a dormitory for 40 fighters, cafeteria, laundromat, transportation, study/homework area, training room, communications room with satellite television and wi fi.

According to Cuban trainer Juan Fontanills, it wont be long before this facility begins producing fighters to represent Mexico in prestigious competitions the likes of the Panamerican Games and the Olympics. In fact, a few fighters have already been summoned by the Mexican Olympic Committee and are concentrated in Mexico City, attempting to move onto the next phase in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Source: http://notifight.com/los-mochis-tien...ento-de-boxeo/

It seems like they are attempting to adopt the Cuban system(to an extent) and implementing it at the CARB facility in order to birth quality fighters in the near future.

Now I know "brawling" is just one of the many faces of Mexican boxing... but it seems like most of NSB believe "Face First Brawlers" are the only type of fighters Mexico is capable of producing. However, now that Mexico is working hand in hand with Cuba, how significant could this be for the sport in the country?

What are your thoughts? You can speak on the article or whether or not Mexico's image in boxing can possibly change.

When I think of Salvador Sanchez, Julio Cesar Chavez, Ricardo Lopez, Juan Manuel Marquez and a gajillion other fighters, the last thing I think of is "mindless." Anyway, this sounds like a good idea for the sport either way.

Comment

Mexico has created great boxers but since Mexico has tough chins the general public seems to think they are all just face first brawlers.

Comment

If Bardock and Vagab0nd read that, they would dismiss their Mexican heritage

Comment

The media has pinned that image unfairly on Mexican fighters, especially HBO. They tell the public that mindless brawling is the "Mexican style" but that couldn't be further from the truth. Watch the Morales vs. Barrera trilogy. The fights were exciting but I would not consider them all out brawls. Both fighters were very tactical in their approach and the fights were high speed chess matches which are the best fights to watch, IMO.

What disgusted me was how the HBO commentators were trashing the second fight because it was fought at a slower pace. They completely ignored the adjustments both fighters made from their first fight and Merchant especially, was critical of both fighters.

The way Mexican fighters can change their mindless brawler image is by getting ring announcers who actually know what they are watching and can educate the audience of what the fighters are doing in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
            The media has pinned that image unfairly on Mexican fighters, especially HBO. They tell the public that mindless brawling is the "Mexican style" but that couldn't be further from the truth. Watch the Morales vs. Barrera trilogy. The fights were exciting but I would not consider them all out brawls. Both fighters were very tactical in their approach and the fights were high speed chess matches which are the best fights to watch, IMO.

What disgusted me was how the HBO commentators were trashing the second fight because it was fought at a slower pace. They completely ignored the adjustments both fighters made from their first fight and Merchant especially, was critical of both fighters.

The way Mexican fighters can change their mindless brawler image is by getting ring announcers who actually know what they are watching and can educate the audience of what the fighters are doing in the ring.
            Amen to that. It's why I enjoy Al Bernstein, Ferdie Pacheco and the announcers of yester-year.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
              When I think of Salvador Sanchez, Julio Cesar Chavez, Ricardo Lopez, Juan Manuel Marquez and a gajillion other fighters, the last thing I think of is "mindless." Anyway, this sounds like a good idea for the sport either way.
              Indeed, good post.

Originally posted by D-Checc View Post
              Mexico has created great boxers but since Mexico has tough chins the general public seems to think they are all just face first brawlers.
              I think there's two types of Mexican boxers although one is more prevalent than the other(I have said this before). The boxers from wealthy/middle class income households whom have the opportunity to develop their skills and abilities in the Amateurs and the poor fighters whom take on the sport as a full time job in order to feed their families. I assume that the wealthier fighters eventually leave behind their craft in order to pursue a more secure future in academics and the less fortunate counterpart ends up in a life long cycle of ass whoopings. Hence the ridiculous amount of "tought/gritty" journeymen and face first brawlers that spawn from the land and are constantly placed as stepping stones week in and week out on tv.

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
              I'm not so sure... I personally think this is a huge leap in the right direction for Mexican boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
                I'd dismiss my son for making threads about killing himself doe

Comment

Why do they need to? It puts butts in seats. Nobody is rushing to see Miguel Vazquez' next fight, for good reason. Whoever calls it "mindless" doesn't have a clue, nor a chin.

Comment

Originally posted by Bardock View Post
                    I'd dismiss my son for making threads about killing himself doe
                    If you my son, I would really have off'd myself.

"Jesus Christ he's a ******"

That or I'd just throw you in a river

Comment

Working...
                    X