Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Foreman ever knocked down in a sparring session?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hassan Shabazz supposedly dropped Foreman on one knee during a 1989 boxing exhibition.

Foreman may have faked the "knockdown", as Ali did though.

Comment

Whats weird is he was much easier to drop when he was young, or so it seemed. He never hit the canvas once in his second career although Holyfield came very close to doing it in '91. Did his chin actually get better? Is it possible for a fighters chin to get better or worse depending on the situation or mindset?

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
        Whats weird is he was much easier to drop when he was young, or so it seemed. He never hit the canvas once in his second career although Holyfield came very close to doing it in '91. Did his chin actually get better? Is it possible for a fighters chin to get better or worse depending on the situation or mindset?
        Better stamina was the key in his second career. Its so much harder to take a punch when you're tired.

Comment

I heard bits and pieces that reportedly Jerry Quarry knocked down George Foreman in a sparring session, don't know if it's true or not.

Comment

It can be possible, some fighters with iron jaws went down in sparring sessions.
            I heard Jimmy Ellis put Ali down twice in sparring! But we know what happened when they fighted each other in an actual fight.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              Better stamina was the key in his second career. Its so much harder to take a punch when you're tired.
              Plus he was bulkier, a bigger man can often absorb a bigger punch

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                Plus he was bulkier, a bigger man can often absorb a bigger punch
                And he fought a lot more measured, instead of throwing atomic bombs repeatedly.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                  And he fought a lot more measured, instead of throwing atomic bombs repeatedly.
                  I think its true that the best version of Foreman would have been a cross between the young George and the seasoned veteran of his comeback years

Being big doesn't mean u have a good chin but the extra bulk seemed to help George absorb the punishment, he took shots in phase 2 of his career that i think would have dropped him in phase 1

Comment

Working...
                  X