No announcement yet.

Another Earth like planet found

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Earth like planet found

For the first time, scientists have discovered an Earth-size alien planet in the habitable zone of its host star, an "Earth cousin" that just might have liquid water and the right conditions for life.

The newfound planet, called Kepler-186f, was first spotted by NASA's Kepler space telescope and circles a dim red dwarf star about 490 light-years from Earth. While the host star is dimmer than Earth's sun and the planet is slightly bigger than Earth, the positioning of the alien world coupled with its size The newfound planet, called Kepler-186f, was first spotted by NASA's Kepler space telescope and circles a dim red dwarf star about 490 light-years from Earth. While the host star is dimmer than Earth's sun and the planet is slightly bigger than Earth, the positioning of the alien world coupled with its size suggests that Kepler-186f could have water on its surface, scientists say. You can learn more about the amazing alien planet find in a video produced by Space.com.
    "One of the things we've been looking for is maybe an Earth twin, which is an Earth-size planet in the habitable zone of a sunlike star," Tom Barclay, Kepler scientist and co-author of the new exoplanet research, told Space.com. "This [Kepler-186f] is an Earth-size planet in the habitable zone of a cooler star. So, while it's not an Earth twin, it is perhaps an Earth cousin. It has similar characteristics, but a different parent."

Welcome to last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Barca Slayer View Post
      Welcome to last week.
      Errr I was banned until yesterday. Red K

Comment

damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

If they are just releasing this....that means they knew about this 50 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
            NASA is ****ing with us man. I'm telling you.

Let's march towards NASA and **** them up

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
              The first "Earth" like planet discovered was in 2011. By the same space craft that discovered this one. Which was launched in 2009.

So, probably not.

Comment

So if I still had my 1976 AMC Gremlin, that had a "speed of light" gear, it would take me only 490 years to get to another planet that was just like Earth but without TV. Wow...that's really...awesome.

Comment

Just one of God's screw ups

Comment

what's the real estate market looking like over there

Comment

Working...
                    X