No announcement yet.

The number of ko's a fighter has does not always tell his punching power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The number of ko's a fighter has does not always tell his punching power

I see posters on here looking at the number of ko's a fighter has and say they don't have any power. This is just not true, you can have power and not ko your opponent for many reasons, you can lack aggressiveness, you can lack accuracy and proper timing, you can also just simple not know how to properly finish your opponent. Fighters like Kendall Holt and Martinez do not have a high percentage of ko's but they clearly can or could punch

when they announce a fighter and he has less than 10 KOs, a part of me wants to change the channel

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
      I see posters on here looking at the number of ko's a fighter has and say they don't have any power. This is just not true, you can have power and not ko your opponent for many reasons, you can lack aggressiveness, you can lack accuracy and proper timing, you can also just simple not know how to properly finish your opponent. Fighters like Kendall Holt and Martinez do not have a high percentage of ko's but they clearly can or could punch

i dont't hink martinez was a massive puncher. his power was overrated in the wake of the williams kayo.

kendall holt can definitely punch.

in addition to your style having an effect on the number of knockouts, the opponents you're fighting has an effect as well.

that said, when i haven't seen a fighter before, and i see a ton of knockouts, unless he's been fighting cans, i assume that he can at least crack a bit.

Comment

Well Lar, how many people call you Lar (Lare)?

What good is having power if you lack agreasion, precision, and timing? If you can't KO anyone it's just as bad as not having power.

Comment

And when a fighter has practically no knockouts (Ottke) you can be reasonably assured that he's not throwing the hardest leather.

Comment

Originally posted by SeekDaGreat View Post
            Well Lar, how many people call you Lar (Lare)?

What good is having power if you lack agreasion, precision, and timing? If you can't KO anyone it's just as bad as not having power.
            Not true at all my friend, if you pack a good punch yet lack aggression it will make your opponent fearful of attacking you and letting his hands go

Comment

Ike Williams is the best example here. Nearly killed Beau Jack a few times, Bob Montgomery and one of the few to put down and beat Kid Gavilan

Comment

Not true at all my friend, if you pack a good punch yet lack aggression it will make your opponent fearful of attacking you and letting his hands go
                Yeah, you're right. Take a guy like Money May...he's not KOn dudes but he has enough pop to keep his foes honest.

So yeah, you're right. KO's are not necessarily telling.

Comment

How their power fares against their competition is the biggest indicator IMO. If you're stopping, or at least hurting/dropping, decent opposition it's a good sign you have power. Once you get to the elite level it's much harder scoring many KO/TKO victories.

Comment

Very true, good post.

Comment

Working...
                    X