Collapse
No announcement yet.

History today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd rather wait until Golovkin beats someone better than OK before I consider him a top fighter.

At this point, he's 30 years old and his best win is a guy that's 1-1 with Kerry Hope.

Can't believe people are comparing him to Martinez.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
      he's also got a very deep amateur background, ray, but you're right. what separates him from the pack is his punching power. that's what i believe is going to make him a star. he's the hardest hitting middleweight i've seen since kelly pavlik. unlike pavlik, though, he's not some brute.

he won silver in '04. he was the amateur world champion in '03. he knocked bute the hell out in the amateurs. he's got a win over andre dirrell. he's been at this for a long time. he beat andy lee, matt korobov, despaigne twice. real deal amateur wins.

i just wish he wasn't friggin 30, man. he could go so far in this game. the world needs punchers. i am sick of seeing fights between elite fighters almost always going 12 rounds, and i know i'm not alone.

i've been wathcing this kid for a long time. a long time. he looks great in the gym, ray. you can see how long he's been fighting and what a technician he is when he's sparring. his feet dig into the canvas and these huge punches spring out of that little body. he hits like a big man.

floyd is so damn skilled that i do think he'd be in the fight with golovkin, but eventually rolling/blocking and catching those shots to the body and head would get him into trouble. think mayweather and cotto. these guys are talking about 154, and i dont see that as a possiblity. golovkin is boiled down already. and of course there wont be any leverage for golovkin in negotiations against the planet's highest paid athlete, so i dont think the fight would ever happen.

those two arent even close to the same size. floyd is a small WW.
      I thought you said Mayweather is big WW?

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        I'd rather wait until Golovkin beats someone better than OK before I consider him a top fighter.

At this point, he's 30 years old and his best win is a guy that's 1-1 with Kerry Hope.

Can't believe people are comparing him to Martinez.
        why? he's the champion and golovkin looks to be his best contender.

proksa is on the same tier as martinez last three opponents, and they gave him issues, especially barker and macklin. they had more experience, but they did not have the talent.

he's slowing down markedly. he's close to 40 and has a style dependent on reflexes and legs, and those are the the first two things to go on any boxer or athlete.

we'll get a chance to see this all work itself out if the fight comes off. i'll be taking golovkin via stoppage against martinez.
        Last edited by New England; 09-02-2012, 02:37 PM.

Comment

I thought you said Mayweather is big WW?
          when did i say that, dan?

he's got some muscle, but he's got small bones.

Comment

• Off topic but why on earth is JAB banned?

Comment

why? he's the champion and golovkin looks to be his best contender.

proksa is on the same tier as martinez last three opponents, and they gave him issues, especially barker and macklin. they had more experience, but they did not have the talent.

he's slowing down markedly. he's close to 40 and has a style dependent on reflexes and legs, and those are the the first two things to go on any boxer or athlete.

we'll get a chance to see this all work itself out if the fight comes off. i'll be taking golovkin via stoppage against martinez.
              He's a Champion? And? There's plenty of Champions.

And Proska is not on the same tier as Macklin. Perhaps Barker, but atleat Barker didn't lose to a Kerry Hope tier fighter. He's fought plenty.

Macklin has clearly proven he's better than Proska.

Fact is, Golovkin hasn't fought anyone. Anyone at all.

He's done nothing to suggest he can beat Sergio Martinez.

Comment

when did i say that, dan?

he's got some muscle, but he's got small bones.
                In a discussion about Pacquaio and Mayweather.

You said Pacquaio's a small WW whereas Mayweather is big, natural, full fledged WW.

Comment

He's a Champion? And? There's plenty of Champions.

And Proska is not on the same tier as Macklin. Perhaps Barker, but atleat Barker didn't lose to a Kerry Hope tier fighter. He's fought plenty.

Macklin has clearly proven he's better than Proska.

Fact is, Golovkin hasn't fought anyone. Anyone at all.

He's done nothing to suggest he can beat Sergio Martinez.
                  martinez is the champion, and that's who i was referring to. i dont really care about alphabet belts.

i dont think macklin is a tier above proksa. he is more accomplished, but that doesn't mean he fights better, and along those lines we will disagree. neither of them are very good. golovkin did what he was supposed to do with proksa, and destroy him. martinez had some problems with macklin and barker.

i've been watching this kid/man for a while, and from what i've seen in sparring, his fights, his amateur background, and most importantly his most recent performances, i'll be picking him to beat martinez

the time looks to be just right. martinez is not going to be the champion forever.

surely you agree when i say that he's not the fighter he once was?
                  Last edited by New England; 09-02-2012, 03:39 PM.

Comment

In a discussion about Pacquaio and Mayweather.

You said Pacquaio's a small WW whereas Mayweather is big, natural, full fledged WW.
                    in that sense then yes, he's much more a WW than pacquiao, a man who eats like a horse to weigh in the 145-150 range on fight night, and who was 138 when he fought ricky hatton.
                    surely the context of a discussion of somebody's size is going to have a bearing on the means by which it's evaluated. i'd go so far as to call pacquiao a tiny ww (more commonly known as a jr WW or LW.) and mayweather is a ww slightly on the small side compared to many of his contemporaries who shed a good deal of weight to make WW and then rehydrate.

Comment

in that sense then yes, he's much more a WW than pacquiao, a man who eats like a horse to weigh in the 145-150 range on fight night, and who was 138 when he fought ricky hatton.
                      surely the context of a discussion of somebody's size is going to have a bearing on the means by which it's evaluated. i'd go so far as to call pacquiao a tiny ww (more commonly known as a jr WW or LW.) and mayweather is a ww slightly on the small side compared to many of his contemporaries who shed a good deal of weight to make WW and then rehydrate.
                      Pacquaio was walking around at above 150 for the Cotto fight.

He's was bang on 147 against Bradley and comes to the ring around that mark. He's come to the ring around 145 for years. Years before he fought at WW.

As does Mayweather, give or take a few Lbs.

There is no way Pacquaio could be considered a Lightweight today. No way would he make 135 today. He's a Welterweight now.

Both him and Mayweather are small WW's. Mayweather being the slightly bigger WW.

Comment

Working...
                      X