Is ward win over kessler tainted?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is ward win over kessler tainted?

Very much so.

Ward should have been disqualified for repeated deliberate headbutts.

"Andre Ward came in like a billygoat, let's be honest about it" - Al Bernstein

Comment

So if you feel that way then you agree that Ricky Hatton should have been disqualified against poor Kostya Tszyu?

Comment

100%

Comment

Originally posted by PinoyNation View Post
          So if you feel that way then you agree that Ricky Hatton should have been disqualified against poor Kostya Tszyu?
          Hatton should absolutely have had a point taken off, and Tszyu five to recover for the incredibly deliberate low blow in round 8 or 9, which completely sapped Tszyu of most of his remaining strength. That was a brutal, very deliberate low blow after Hatton had taken a legal one which hurt him and put him down.

Anyway, Ward should have been warned much more than he ever has been and if he kept on doing it, then yes, disqualification. That's the benefit of hometown fights though I guess.

Comment

Ward beats Kessler when and wherever this fight took place. He's the better fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by PinoyNation View Post
              I don't remember and sneaky hitting off the break or deliberate headbutts in the Tszyu-Hatton fight.

There was one nasty deliberate low blow by Hatton, but at least the UK ref deducted a point if I remember correctly.

Hatton was rough, but was never nearly as dirty as Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
                100%

Wow. I honestly didn't remember it being that bad. That's pathetic. The majority of those clinches were entirely initiated, as the video states, by Ward. Kessler grabbed too in a couple, but basically all of them were to stop Kessler from being able to do anything.

You can punch inside if you are the one being held, not if you're the one holding as Ward was. Very strong Ward bias from ref Jack Reiss.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
                  I don't remember and sneaky hitting off the break or deliberate headbutts in the Tszyu-Hatton fight.

There was one nasty deliberate low blow by Hatton, but at least the UK ref deducted a point if I remember correctly.

To refresh your memory:

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
                    Ward beats Kessler when and wherever this fight took place. He's the better fighter.
                    Yes, that's probably true. It's also completely missing the point. Just because a fighter is better and wins by breaking the rules absolutely does not mean he should be able to get away with it. He was getting major hometown favouritism from the ref while breaking the rules. Whoever would have won anyway is besides the point. You can't do it and shouldn't be able to get away with it.

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post

He didn't. I don't even think there was much of a warning. Certainly no point off.

Comment

Working...
                    X