No announcement yet.

27 too old to Starr mma?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 27 too old to Starr mma?

Hey everyone I have been thinking about doing mma for awhile and I need some opinions and insight from knowledgeable people. First of all I am 27 and will turn 28 in July. The only mma experience I have is with my 4 years in the army they taught us what was called unarmed combatives which was actually developed by Royce gracie so it taught a lot of bjj. I was pretty good at it when I was in good shape, probably one of the best in my battalion but I didn't take it that serious and didn't do it outside of work time. I have really gotten into watching mma and boxing the last couple years and I am thinking about doing mma and see if I could eventually make a career out of it. I am a very disciplined person and when I have my sights set on something I stop at nothing to accomplish it. I already work out 5 days a week and could get in shape easily although I have a little excess body fat that could takenq couple months to get rid of. Does anyone think it is a realistic possibility if I work hard enough and train hard enough. If so how many hours a day does a prospect typically train for. Also is there any examplesmnof someone like me who only has a military background and from a few years back and made it as a pro? Keep in mind I have been out of the army for 4 years. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to know if it's even worth a shot in the dark before I devote half my life to something that I have absolutely no chance of accomplishing.

27 is old for starting a pro sport career, but it never hurts to try. Even if you are a complete failure at least you'll never regret not giving it a shot.

That's all the advise I can give.
    Last edited by Pechorin; 12-28-2014, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Depends on what your goals are.My friend started MMA as 25 years old with no previous backround

Comment

Originally posted by Alec900 View Post
        Depends on what your goals are.My friend started MMA as 25 years old with no previous backround
        Honestly I would just like to make money doing it whether it be bellator or ufc or whatever. Even if I don't make it to the top just making it into one of those organizations would be a success in my eyes I'm just not sure if its been done before by someone like me. I've heard of guys doing it in their 30s but most of them have a college wrestling background or bjj or some martial art. I did bjj type fighting pretty frequently in the army we practiced almost every week for 4 years

Comment

Also I would prefer to box but I don't want to end up like freddie roach lol, I know its hard but not impossible I guess what I'm trying to figure out is just how hard of a process it really is for someone with my background and basically what the process is to get into one of the pro leagues

Comment

Working...
          X