No announcement yet.

When will the Cold War end?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will the Cold War end?

Anyone have any predictions as to when it will end, or what will have to happen to it in order to end? Personally, I think once Manny and Floyd are both retired is when the cold war will end. What do you guys think?

yup...when both PAC and Floyd retire and they're scrambling to make fights...eventually they'll have to work with each other again

Comment

When Floyd retires, or when he no longer sees any threat from the other side of the fence. The economics of Floyd are just that distorting.

Comment

Haymon and Scaheffer are starting their own group, and TR fighters will continue to be TR fighters even when Arum leaves. More money to split that way.

If Pac/Floyd can't build bridges, then no fight can. Unless of course, there's some random fight that takes place sometime in the future between both promtions, and the fire gets lit from there, but I doubt it. Mares/Donaire was the best chance of that happening.

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
          yup...when both PAC and Floyd retire and they're scrambling to make fights...eventually they'll have to work with each other again
          On second thought, I think this is true. Once neither side has game changing bargaining chips, they'll be forced to work with one another to get $$$.

For now, each side has trump cards in Pac and Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieClutch View Post
            Anyone have any predictions as to when it will end, or what will have to happen to it in order to end? Personally, I think once Manny and Floyd are both retired is when the cold war will end. What do you guys think?
            follow the money. The networks have been benefitting from the cold war more than anyone else. when either showtime or HBO loses enough that they are forced to work with everyone (or ESPN takes it over completely) this crap will end.

Comment

Originally posted by BUNGALOWS View Post
              On second thought, I think this is true. Once neither side has game changing bargaining chips, they'll be forced to work with one another to get $$$.

For now, each side has trump cards in Pac and Floyd.

there's gonna come a point that making a cross promotional fight would equal just a wee bit more money than an in-house fight...that's when the 'thawing' begins

then 10 years later when both are working freely with each other again, they'll look back at how bad they ****ed up the megafight everyone wanted

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
                there's gonna come a point that making a cross promotional fight would equal just a wee bit more money than an in-house fight...that's when the 'thawing' begins

then 10 years later when both are working freely with each other again, they'll look back at how bad they ****ed up the megafight everyone wanted
                Agree. Once Pac and Floyd leave, they'll have no choice. Both sides have enough of the elite talent spread around that they're gonna have to budge, otherwise boxing WILL be on life support for real this time. For now, at least we do get to see a Pac and Floyd fight. Once they leave, people will be like, "okay, they're both gone, can we at least get great match ups?"

I know right. They'll both be kicking themselves in the ass.

Comment

When the status quo changes.

It could change in any number of ways including but not limited to, a new star emerges, a third promotional group gains some power, HBO decides to talk to GBP again, Showtime decides to talk to Top Rank, a couple important guys unexpectedly fall off the face of the Earth for one side, or things turn south for one side financially.

I don't think either side thinks they are losing and even if they do think that they certainly aren't in the throw in the towel mode at the moment.

Comment

When this happens

Comment

Working...
                    X