No announcement yet.

Documents reveal Ali vs Liston was fixed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i believe it.

one of the biggest perpetrated lies in boxing history is the Golden Age of Boxing.

All these lame old ass geezers who jerk each other off in the history section aimlessly talking about heavyweights love to bash this modern era of boxing but somehow always talking up the golden era when the golden era of boxing was the most corrupt in the history of the sport.

People today complain of robberies? LMFAAOOOOO they never seen the shameless evil robberies of the golden era of boxing where the italian mafia basically ran the entire sport. They shamelessly robbed black fighters on a regular basis back then.

Corruption wise, the golden era of boxing makes bob arum look like Jesus Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by sbbigmike View Post
      To those that doubt a fix in any of the Liston matches, watch the Liston Phantom punch Biography and you'll different understanding of this fight and era. Before Ali came into the fold the mob tried to make Liston lay down for Patterson who was there smart educated negro they could stand behind. Liston only lived because his mob manager bet all the money on Liston who was big underdog there and saved face. After beating Patterson and winning the belt not one reporter came to the locker room and interviewed Liston, that scene alone showed that it showed that boxing was more than just about boxing and winning and losing. Liston wasnt the it guy and never would be, I'm sure Liston then understood this.........The comes along another smart well spoken negro Cassius Clay and Liston lays down for him twice..........

The whole era has one big asterisk *** to me as far as I'm concerned even down to Foreman retiring until after Ali was completely faded, was Foreman another Liston character who was never liked, and the "connected" people wouldnt stand behind, eerie **** was going on then...........
      Some interesting thoughts, but drawing parallels between Ali and Patterson as "smart, well spoken Negroes" is questionable. Ali (then Clay) was not liked by the establishment, to say the least. In fact, Liston was set up as the "good guy" in their matches. That's how much white America hated the outspoken Ali. It wasn't until many years later that Ali was embraced by the average American. Liston may very well have taken a dive, but it wasn't to set up Ali as some kind of popular figure. It was all about the interests of a few men.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tase View Post
        i believe it.

one of the biggest perpetrated lies in boxing history is the Golden Age of Boxing.

All these lame old ass geezers who jerk each other off in the history section aimlessly talking about heavyweights love to bash this modern era of boxing but somehow always talking up the golden era when the golden era of boxing was the most corrupt in the history of the sport.

People today complain of robberies? LMFAAOOOOO they never seen the shameless evil robberies of the golden era of boxing where the italian mafia basically ran the entire sport. They shamelessly robbed black fighters on a regular basis back then.

Corruption wise, the golden era of boxing makes bob arum look like Jesus Christ.
        Actually, black fighters were often on the winning end of those robberies. You see, it wasn't about making whites look better than blacks. It was all about making money...still is.

I agree that corruption was more widespread back in the day, but it's still out there. It's not like today's winners are somehow more "legit." And while some fights were definitely rigged, that doesn't mean that the greatest of the old-timers weren't as great as their reputation says.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
          Actually, black fighters were often on the winning end of those robberies. You see, it wasn't about making whites look better than blacks. It was all about making money...still is.

I agree that corruption was more widespread back in the day, but it's still out there. It's not like today's winners are somehow more "legit." And while some fights were definitely rigged, that doesn't mean that the greatest of the old-timers weren't as great as their reputation says.
          i disagree with that. why do you think there were so much more great white fighters in almost every division back then?

I mean come on, the golden era was smack dab in the middle of segregation.

Blacks couldnt even get equal rights at life, how much more in freaking boxing?

Comment

Was skeptical to say the least at first! Was about to click on the link nonetheless, then seen it was on the dailymail!!

If you believe the crap that they write you sir are a fool...

Comment

i disagree with that. why do you think there were so much more great white fighters in almost every division back then?

Are you ****ting me, the reason why there was so many great white fighters back then was because there was so many white guys from disadvantaged areas who were guided towards boxing because it gave discipline and allowed them to make a decent living!

Don't forget boxing was the biggest sport in the world when the golden era was in force! Look throughout history in any sport and the people from disadvantaged areas are always the ones who rise to the top!

Or are you trying to say guys like Harry Greb, Willie Pep, Tommy Lougran, billy conn, jack Dempsey or Jake LaMotta weren't great fighters just built by the mob?

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                Some interesting thoughts, but drawing parallels between Ali and Patterson as "smart, well spoken Negroes" is questionable. Ali (then Clay) was not liked by the establishment, to say the least. In fact, Liston was set up as the "good guy" in their matches. That's how much white America hated the outspoken Ali. It wasn't until many years later that Ali was embraced by the average American. Liston may very well have taken a dive, but it wasn't to set up Ali as some kind of popular figure. It was all about the interests of a few men.
                Naw thats how history has re-written the facts, Liston was a guy that couldnt read, and would refuse interviews left and right threatening to fight reporters and such, arrested for fighting cops a handful of times, he was a guy that was fear but not necessarily liked.....Ali was Clay then and he was loved despite being the underdog. Ali was simply a it guy that could capture imaginations and give them a show in the ring and out, Liston wasn't that and after beating Patterson he understood this........

I know boxing fans dont like to slight Ali or that era, because thts what made us get into the sport, but as a man and truthful person I cant turn a blind eye, I have to acknowledge that shyt, wasn't right in boxing

Comment

i didnt think it was possible for uk newspapers to get worse but i stand corrected
                  Last edited by jasjas; 02-25-2014, 12:29 PM.

Comment

i guess a good number of guys who fought in that era had atleast one of their fights fixed. its like steroids, no way to prove someone did it but everyone is suspect.

also keep in mind the FBI always had dirty on any black "agitator" during that time including MLK (FBI files will forever be sealed) so id take whatever dirt they have on Clay with a grain of salt

Comment

Originally posted by toshmurph View Post
                      Are you ****ting me, the reason why there was so many great white fighters back then was because there was so many white guys from disadvantaged areas who were guided towards boxing because it gave discipline and allowed them to make a decent living!

Don't forget boxing was the biggest sport in the world when the golden era was in force! Look throughout history in any sport and the people from disadvantaged areas are always the ones who rise to the top!

Or are you trying to say guys like Harry Greb, Willie Pep, Tommy Lougran, billy conn, jack Dempsey or Jake LaMotta weren't great fighters just built by the mob?
                      This. ^

I'll add that there were many great black fighters who beat many great white fighters regularly enough. One only has to look at "Sugar" Ray Robinson's career, for instance. Do I need to name all the great black fighters from the "Golden Era"? I seriously doubt there would've been so many successful black fighters if they kept getting robbed through corruption. The fact is that, although blacks had it hard in society-at-large, they enjoyed much more equality in the ring.

Comment

Working...
                      X