Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Brits have taken the sport of boxing by storm!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saint laurent
    Deontay's title is historically the most prestigious and lucrative in the entire sport.

You can't possibly be the "undisputed" champion without the most highly recognized championship.

If someone was a three belt champ, and the title they were missing was the WBO, I suppose you could make the case that they were "undisputed" as historically that term meant WBC/WBA/IBF champion.

Although at this point, I do think someone would need to hold all four to be the "undisputed" champion as the WBC/WBA/IBF/WBO all recognize each other in their rules now and it's pretty clear the sport recognizes all four now, even Japan finally caved on the IBF/WBO.

Fury is the unified champion and should be very proud, but unfortunately for him, the belt he is missing is the most important one.
    He beat Bermane Stiverne for it who battled with Arreola of all people for a vacant belt.

It is what it is, to me Wlad was undisputed champion always. So Fury is as well.

Wilder is just a paper belt holder.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
      P4P is just someone's opinion.
      Yes, but if you added everyone's opinion together you still wouldn't have many British fighters in the top 10.

Titles don't mean very much. The UK is producing a lot more world level fighters for sure, in part due to the increased funding for the amateur system.
      But we can't rubbish alphabet titles every day of the week, and then turn around and hold them up as proof of something.

Comment

The more Brits, the better. They bring atmosphere's beyond belief. I hope Wilder-Fury gets done, that would be electric!

Comment

i don't place much stock in alphabet titles but it's true that in my lifetime we've never had so many fighters at one time who could compete at the top level. the talent pool has definitely deepened

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi108 View Post
            The undisputed heavyweight champion of the world is currently a Brit.
            There are soo many major British world champions and high ranking contenders in every division that they seem to be taking over the entire sport, with momentum!

British boxing is flying possibly the highest its ever flown in its history. There are many many fighters in Britain that can sell out a 20,000 seat arena with ease, the sport is literally flying at the minute.
            Congrats to. Fury & the Brits for an upset win lSt night. No1 can take that away but to say the brits are taking over is a bit farfetched. It can be said theyre champs in divisions that generate no audience or $.

Comment

I can only hope Fury gives Anthony Joshua the fight in 2016, whilst retirement for Wladimir might be an option I'd rather see Joshua fight Fury before anyone that voluntary shot...
              Yep definitely want to see AJ get it, I'll become a fan and I'll be rooting for AJ If he does it but lets hope AJ doesn't choke against Whyte.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                Not really.

Fury is THE heavyweight champion. Wilder has a paper belt which really means little.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                  Congrats to. Fury & the Brits for an upset win lSt night. No1 can take that away but to say the brits are taking over is a bit farfetched. It can be said theyre champs in divisions that generate no audience or $.
                  we arguably have the best heavyweight and the best welterweight, which are two of the three most prestigious divisions in boxing

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cyclone View Post

yeah right. the #3 beats the #1 and somehow the #2 gets elevated without lifting a finger?

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Archer View Post
                      fools gold.

frampton, fury, degale, khan, none are really great.

skullsplitter is just bidding his time i feel.......
                      also lee sleby is pretty mediocre. british boxing has a lot of quantity but almost no quality.

and wlad is complete shot and very old. fury will get demolished by povetkin.

Comment

Working...
                      X