Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MAYWEATHER Ranked #4 ALL TIME Pay Per View Attractions !!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Horus View Post
    Floyd is one of the biggest p.p.v stars of all time.
    and the biggest NON HEAVYWEIGHT DRAW ever !!!! besides De la hoya.

Boxing's Top Pay Per View Attractions

1. Oscar De La Hoya - $610.6 million on 12.6 million buys (18 events)
    2. Mike Tyson - $545 million on 12.4 million buys (12 events)
    3. Evander Holyfield - $543 million on 12.6 million buys (14 events)
    4. Floyd Mayweather $355 Million Dollars on 7.15 Million Buys (6 events)

(pre 9/19/09)

Floyd Mayweather $303 Million Dollars on 6.15 Million Buys (5 events)

(post 9/19/2009)
    Floyd Mayweather $355 Million Dollars on 7.15 Million Buys (6 events)

PAY-PER-VIEW KING
    Associated Press.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. was once boxing's pound-for-pound champion, and now he's evolving into its pay-per-view king as well.

Mayweather's victory over Juan Manuel Marquez last weekend generated an impressive 1 million pay-per-view buys, HBO Sports announced Friday. The robust result confirms Mayweather's once-debatable superstar status in a sport that thrives on big names in big events.

The bout at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas on Sept. 19 generated a remarkable $52 million in pay-per-view revenue at its $49.95 suggested price, making it the highest-performing event this year. It's just the fifth non-heavyweight event to generate 1 million buys on a list headed by Mayweather's split-decision victory over Oscar De La Hoya in 2007, which had a record 2.44 million.

Most credited that performance to De La Hoya, the sport's top pay-per-view draw before his retirement this year. After leaving boxing for 21 months at the top of his skills, Mayweather appears ready to fill the void left by De La Hoya with a love-me-or-hate-me persona that interests even casual sports fans.

Still, 1 million buys even surprised HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg.

"I'm going to say it's unexpected, but there was always a side of me that knew it was crossing over," Greenburg told The Associated Press. "You have to give some credit to Juan Manuel Marquez's Hispanic fan base, but beyond that, Floyd Mayweather has established himself as a star in the sport. All his work with 'Dancing With the Stars' and the WWE and (HBO reality show) '24/7' has established an image that Floyd projects and that people are interested in."

HBO and Golden Boy Promotions attempted to reach new markets for boxing with a pastiche of Internet events, marketing tie-ins and public appearances. HBO also saw a ratings ****e for the four-part "24/7" series leading up to the fight, suggesting Mayweather's persona and fighting skills were the main draw for that surprising number of fans.

"There's no question he's got a little bit of that Muhammad Ali in him from the '60s," Greenburg said. "There were a lot of people that wanted to see his mouth shut as well, and you can't take your eyes off him."

Mayweather's previous fight against Ricky Hatton in December 2007 generated 920,000 buys before Mayweather took a break during which he danced on network television, pretended to wrestle on cable, and took endorsement deals that raised his profile — although nobody knew just how much until now.

Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer anticipated impressive numbers for Mayweather-Marquez on Thursday, saying the fight went "through the roof."

"It's big, very big," Schaefer said. "A lot of people didn't believe us. Maybe I've gained a little credibility with my predictions. Most importantly, I hope the world realizes when we release these numbers that Floyd Mayweather, love him or hate him, is today — without any question, no ifs, ands or buts — the No. 1 pay-per-view star in the world."
    The pay-per-view sales apparently weren't even harmed by Golden Boy's decision to show the fight in 170 movie theaters around the country, a strategy that worried Greenburg. Schaefer said the fight played to about 80 percent capacity in theaters, which were once a regular site for closed-circuit boxing shows.

Mayweather-Marquez also scored what's likely to be a clear victory over the pay-per-view telecast of UFC 103, which is thought to have generated only a fraction of HBO's 1 million sales. UFC 103 was a fairly minor card on the league's calendar, yet the two so-called "combat sports" rarely go head-to-head on pay-per-view.

now somebody put pacquiao numbers up!
    SMH...I didn't even read all this lol.

So what you're saying is Floyd is a bigger PPV star than Pacquiao? Cool!! My weekend has officially begun!

Comment

Originally posted by larry x View Post
      damn tyson was a draw....less events then hoya and not that much less money
      AS Tyson said he could fill MSG just by masterbating....Lefty

It's Ridiculous ....
      This fight proved how much the so called "hardcore fans", and bull**** writers matter in the big picture of things...

They hated on this fight from day one.
      Even with a recession,
      The media trashing this fight,
      Fans talking of boycotting and UFC competing with it all on the same night...
      The Mayweather fight still did more than Pacquiao vs. Hatton and probably Pacquiao vs. Cotto

The deck was completely stacked against Mayweather and he still pull it out.
      This fight proved Mayweather claim on him being a cash cow.
      oh yeah..he has been off for 2 years
      I thought Pac vs Hatton did 1.6mil?? I might be wrong I could really care less about how many PPV buys any fighter does and who is a draw I just love seeing good match ups....Lefty

Comment

Floyd is one of the biggest p.p.v stars of all time.
        and the biggest NON HEAVYWEIGHT DRAW ever !!!! besides De la hoya.

Boxing's Top Pay Per View Attractions

1. Oscar De La Hoya - $610.6 million on 12.6 million buys (18 events)
        2. Mike Tyson - $545 million on 12.4 million buys (12 events)
        3. Evander Holyfield - $543 million on 12.6 million buys (14 events)
        4. Floyd Mayweather $355 Million Dollars on 7.15 Million Buys (6 events)

(pre 9/19/09)

Floyd Mayweather $303 Million Dollars on 6.15 Million Buys (5 events)

(post 9/19/2009)
        Floyd Mayweather $355 Million Dollars on 7.15 Million Buys (6 events)

PAY-PER-VIEW KING
        Associated Press.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. was once boxing's pound-for-pound champion, and now he's evolving into its pay-per-view king as well.

Mayweather's victory over Juan Manuel Marquez last weekend generated an impressive 1 million pay-per-view buys, HBO Sports announced Friday. The robust result confirms Mayweather's once-debatable superstar status in a sport that thrives on big names in big events.

The bout at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas on Sept. 19 generated a remarkable $52 million in pay-per-view revenue at its $49.95 suggested price, making it the highest-performing event this year. It's just the fifth non-heavyweight event to generate 1 million buys on a list headed by Mayweather's split-decision victory over Oscar De La Hoya in 2007, which had a record 2.44 million.

Most credited that performance to De La Hoya, the sport's top pay-per-view draw before his retirement this year. After leaving boxing for 21 months at the top of his skills, Mayweather appears ready to fill the void left by De La Hoya with a love-me-or-hate-me persona that interests even casual sports fans.

Still, 1 million buys even surprised HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg.

"I'm going to say it's unexpected, but there was always a side of me that knew it was crossing over," Greenburg told The Associated Press. "You have to give some credit to Juan Manuel Marquez's Hispanic fan base, but beyond that, Floyd Mayweather has established himself as a star in the sport. All his work with 'Dancing With the Stars' and the WWE and (HBO reality show) '24/7' has established an image that Floyd projects and that people are interested in."

HBO and Golden Boy Promotions attempted to reach new markets for boxing with a pastiche of Internet events, marketing tie-ins and public appearances. HBO also saw a ratings ****e for the four-part "24/7" series leading up to the fight, suggesting Mayweather's persona and fighting skills were the main draw for that surprising number of fans.

"There's no question he's got a little bit of that Muhammad Ali in him from the '60s," Greenburg said. "There were a lot of people that wanted to see his mouth shut as well, and you can't take your eyes off him."

Mayweather's previous fight against Ricky Hatton in December 2007 generated 920,000 buys before Mayweather took a break during which he danced on network television, pretended to wrestle on cable, and took endorsement deals that raised his profile — although nobody knew just how much until now.

Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer anticipated impressive numbers for Mayweather-Marquez on Thursday, saying the fight went "through the roof."

"It's big, very big," Schaefer said. "A lot of people didn't believe us. Maybe I've gained a little credibility with my predictions. Most importantly, I hope the world realizes when we release these numbers that Floyd Mayweather, love him or hate him, is today — without any question, no ifs, ands or buts — the No. 1 pay-per-view star in the world."
        The pay-per-view sales apparently weren't even harmed by Golden Boy's decision to show the fight in 170 movie theaters around the country, a strategy that worried Greenburg. Schaefer said the fight played to about 80 percent capacity in theaters, which were once a regular site for closed-circuit boxing shows.

Mayweather-Marquez also scored what's likely to be a clear victory over the pay-per-view telecast of UFC 103, which is thought to have generated only a fraction of HBO's 1 million sales. UFC 103 was a fairly minor card on the league's calendar, yet the two so-called "combat sports" rarely go head-to-head on pay-per-view.

now somebody put pacquiao numbers up!
        dude...pacquiao is NOT american..get that through your thick skull..

that's why his numbers are not as high as DLH's and Mike Tyson's.

if you're an AMERICAN ATHLETE you're already a big superstar.

Comment

Originally posted by Radical View Post

if you're an AMERICAN ATHLETE you're already a big superstar.

Shane Mosely? Superstar
          Paul Williams? Superstar
          Andre Berto? Superstar
          Kelly Pavlik ? Superstar
          Robert Guerrero ? Superstar
          Chad Dawson? Superstar
          James Kirkland ? Superstar
          zab judah? Superstar
          Antonio Tarver ? Superstar
          Jermain Taylor ? Superstar

Damn lOOK AT ALL THE SUPERSTARS aMERICA HAS !!!

Comment

Much respect to Mayweather. Amazing how Arum was screwing his career up. Went from having to call out Cory Spinks at minuscule press conferences to being one of the biggest names in boxing. Much respect.

Comment

Impressive numbers from Money may. over 2million of those were just in one fight, amazing.

Comment

Shane Mosely? Superstar
                Paul Williams? Superstar
                Andre Berto? Superstar
                Kelly Pavlik ? Superstar
                Robert Guerrero ? Superstar
                Chad Dawson? Superstar
                James Kirkland ? Superstar
                zab judah? Superstar
                Antonio Tarver ? Superstar
                Jermain Taylor ? Superstar

Damn lOOK AT ALL THE SUPERSTARS aMERICA HAS !!!

it's like that.
                you're an american athlete, the media hypes you.

Comment

Are all these PPV number threads necessary?

We get it, the man can sell a fight...

Comment

Originally posted by street bully View Post
                    Much respect to Mayweather. Amazing how Arum was screwing his career up. Went from having to call out Cory Spinks at minuscule press conferences to being one of the biggest names in boxing. Much respect.
                    ARUM is a ***** !!!
                    He never put the money into mayweather, like he did with Oscar, Cotto, and Pacquiao..!!

Mayweather should have been Promoted like he is promoted now!!!
                    ARUM really did hurt Floyd's Marketability by not doing what he was suppose to do, and that was make an huge investment and hope it pays off.

Mayweather should have been on Pay. Per View if promoted right after the Corralles Fight !!

Real talk

Comment

Originally posted by Savino View Post
                      Impressive numbers from Money may. over 2million of those were just in one fight, amazing.
                      Amazing set of tatas on that honey you display.

Comment

Working...
                      X