No announcement yet.

Hi guys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi guys

So im 17 have been boxing for 5 years now and i realized iv kinda hit a wall in progress, by progress i specifically mean my speed. My dream to become a great boxer started when i saw sugar ray leonard fight roberto duran for a second time, ever since iv been trying to become like sugar ray leonard . Not personality wise just boxing wise i wanna move like him and i wanna punch like him, its just something about his style . Every time i think about how my perfect style would be i always end up thinking about sugar ray leonard, it annoys me because i feel like im copying him but the thing is everything he does seems so right and just completely suits my idea of a perfect style . Basically i wanna become a sugar ray leonard v 2.0 i hate to say that but its true and yea im a copycat but i cant help it . So enough of my drizzle drazzel .

I need advice on how to become faster. Any workouts/activities/routines i could do etc ?

Btw what kind of forum is this ? Is this a boxing forum that focuses more on advice or is it one that focuses on talking about the history of boxing etc because i checked this forum out called Boxing something and 99% of all the threads there were about mayweather so i didnt even bother registering, when i checked this one out i saw a few threads about duran and hagler and kinda got the feeling this is the place im looking for . Was i correct ?
    Last edited by Fastest Boxer; 02-21-2014, 06:34 PM.

welcome, live long and prosper..........

I don't buy this simply because of the age difference of being 17 years old and the 2nd leonard/duran bout.

I call alt.

anyway, 'round here we don't know nothin' bout no boxin' any how................ Rockin'
    Last edited by Rockin'; 02-21-2014, 06:42 PM.

Comment

This is the premier boxing site, so welcome kid. There are different sections as you will find things to discuss. Good luck with your training and career.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
        welcome, live long and prosper..........

I don't buy this simply because of the age difference of being 17 years old and the 2nd leonard/duran bout.

I call alt.

anyway, 'round here we don't know nothin' bout no boxin' any how................ Rockin'
        What is wrong with a kid liking Sugar Ray Leonard? I'm 20 and I watched Leonard and Ali when I was getting into the sport.

My suggestion for speed like Leonard is to try to practice combinations and speed in your punching. As you train your muscle memory for bursts and quickness, the muscle memory will help in your speed. By practicing more combinations, you will also become more fluid in your punches and the stamina from being able to throw many combinations will translate into your speed.

Everybody is fast in the first 1 minute of the round, but many become sluggish and slow because they get tired. Ray Leonard was fast all 15 rounds because he had the conditioning and stamina to stay that fast with all that intensity. Working fast combinations and burning yourself out (sprints and ect.) will give you the edge in speed that you'll need.

If you want to copy his style and fluidity - it'll all take work, which all starts at conditioning. It's like learning to write without a pencil, your conditioning is your pencil! Once you have your pencil, you can improve as a writer (boxer) and develop your own unique style.

Comment

i stay away from nsb and stick to this section in general..
          nsb is full of unintelligent responses.. here we got rockin and some nutrition freaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Augustane View Post
            What is wrong with a kid liking Sugar Ray Leonard? I'm 20 and I watched Leonard and Ali when I was getting into the sport.

My suggestion for speed like Leonard is to try to practice combinations and speed in your punching. As you train your muscle memory for bursts and quickness, the muscle memory will help in your speed. By practicing more combinations, you will also become more fluid in your punches and the stamina from being able to throw many combinations will translate into your speed.

Everybody is fast in the first 1 minute of the round, but many become sluggish and slow because they get tired. Ray Leonard was fast all 15 rounds because he had the conditioning and stamina to stay that fast with all that intensity. Working fast combinations and burning yourself out (sprints and ect.) will give you the edge in speed that you'll need.

If you want to copy his style and fluidity - it'll all take work, which all starts at conditioning. It's like learning to write without a pencil, your conditioning is your pencil! Once you have your pencil, you can improve as a writer (boxer) and develop your own unique style.
            this is some really good advice thanks man

Comment

Working...
            X