Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

headaches when working out.what does this mean??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

control your breathing. Most likely you hold your breat for a split second and you giving you self a headache. When you in a middle of whatever it is that give you headache focus and pay attention to how your breathing. I bet you find out that you are not breathing normally, meaning full breath in and out. I used to get this when i was a teenager working out till someone pointed it out to me. But it can be over excretion

Comment

Originally posted by larryx2013 View Post
      bingo i always workout before eating.thanks
      Like everyone here is saying drink more water, watch you're sleeping schedule. If it continues, have a physical, gotta be aware of your body and all that. peace

Comment

Originally posted by kimmiblob View Post
        control your breathing. Most likely you hold your breat for a split second and you giving you self a headache. When you in a middle of whatever it is that give you headache focus and pay attention to how your breathing. I bet you find out that you are not breathing normally, meaning full breath in and out. I used to get this when i was a teenager working out till someone pointed it out to me. But it can be over excretion
        This!

Some people subconsciously (spelling?) hold their breath before sudden actions or weight lifting. Doesn't necessarily have to be diet related or if you're eating before or after. If it's your breathing it'll always happen.

There used to be this kid we played B ball with and he ALWAYS did it. When someone was coming at him and it was time to "tense" up so to speak, he'd hold his breath. He fainted on us once... Jumped up, landed, started breathing again and just fell.

Relax your breathing, I feel that might be the issue.

Whenever I'd work out tired/hungry as sh it I'd have more of a dizzying/weakened feeling as opposed to a headache. Everyone is diff though.

Let someone you play ball with know (maybe a friend guarding you) and ask him if you're holding your breath off and on or tensing up for longer than usual. That's if you don't notice it...

Otherwise try changing eating/sleeping habits and if all else fails..see a Dr. Fuc k around and go into cardiac arrest or something. :|

Comment

Exercise headaches
          By Mayo Clinic staff

Definition

Exercise headaches occur during or after sustained, strenuous exercise. Activities associated with exercise headaches include running, rowing, tennis, swimming and weightlifting.

Doctors divide exercise headaches into two categories. Primary exercise headaches are usually harmless, aren't connected to any underlying problems and can often be prevented with medication. Secondary exercise headaches, on the other hand, are caused by an underlying, often serious, problem within the brain — such as bleeding or a tumor — or outside the brain — such as coronary artery disease. Secondary exercise headaches may require emergency medical attention.

Symptoms

Primary exercise headaches
          These headaches:

Are usually described as throbbing
          Occur during or after strenuous exercise
          Affect both sides of the head in most cases

Secondary exercise headaches
          These headaches may cause:

The same symptoms as primary exercise headaches
          Vomiting
          Loss of consciousness
          Double vision
          Neck rigidity

Primary exercise headaches typically last between five minutes and 48 hours, while secondary exercise headaches usually last at least a day and sometimes linger for several days or longer.

When to see a doctor
          If you experience a headache during or after exercise, consult your doctor. Call your doctor right away if the headache begins abruptly or if it's your first headache of this type.

Causes

The exact cause of primary exercise headaches is unknown. One theory is that strenuous exercise dilates blood vessels inside the skull.

Secondary exercise headaches are caused by an underlying problem, such as:

Bleeding in the area between the brain and the thin membranes that cover the brain (subarachnoid hemorrhage)
          Abnormalities in a blood vessel leading to or within the brain
          Cancerous or noncancerous tumors
          Obstruction of cerebrospinal fluid flow
          Reduced blood flow in the arteries feeding the heart
          Sinus infection

Prevention

Exercise headaches tend to occur more often when the weather is hot and humid, or if you're exercising at high altitudes. If you're prone to exercise headaches, you may want to avoid exercising in these conditions.

Some people experience exercise headaches only during the performance of certain activities, so they may prevent their headaches by avoiding these activities. A warm-up prior to strenuous exercise also can help prevent exercise headaches.

Treatments and drugs

If no underlying structural or vascular problem is causing your exercise headaches, your doctor may recommend medications to take regularly to help prevent the headaches.

Indomethacin (Indocin), an anti-inflammatory drug, is commonly prescribed.
          Propranolol, (Inderal, Inopran XL) a blood pressure medication, also is used to preventive exercise headaches.

If your exercise headaches are predictable, you may be able to take a medication an hour or two before a scheduled event, such as a tennis match or a hike at high altitude. Medications your doctor might prescribe include indomethacin and triptans (Imitrex, Relpax, others), which are commonly used to treat acute migraine headaches. If your exercise headaches are frequent or unpredictable, you might need to take the preventive medicine every day.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exe...daches/DS00641
          Last edited by jaded; 05-02-2012, 03:40 AM.

Comment

It might be a symptom of PMS....

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
              Exercise headaches
              By Mayo Clinic staff

Definition

Exercise headaches occur during or after sustained, strenuous exercise. Activities associated with exercise headaches include running, rowing, tennis, swimming and weightlifting.

Doctors divide exercise headaches into two categories. Primary exercise headaches are usually harmless, aren't connected to any underlying problems and can often be prevented with medication. Secondary exercise headaches, on the other hand, are caused by an underlying, often serious, problem within the brain — such as bleeding or a tumor — or outside the brain — such as coronary artery disease. Secondary exercise headaches may require emergency medical attention.

Symptoms

These headaches:

Are usually described as throbbing
              Occur during or after strenuous exercise
              Affect both sides of the head in most cases

These headaches may cause:

The same symptoms as primary exercise headaches
              Vomiting
              Loss of consciousness
              Double vision
              Neck rigidity

Primary exercise headaches typically last between five minutes and 48 hours, while secondary exercise headaches usually last at least a day and sometimes linger for several days or longer.

When to see a doctor
              If you experience a headache during or after exercise, consult your doctor. Call your doctor right away if the headache begins abruptly or if it's your first headache of this type.

Causes

The exact cause of primary exercise headaches is unknown. One theory is that strenuous exercise dilates blood vessels inside the skull.

Secondary exercise headaches are caused by an underlying problem, such as:

Bleeding in the area between the brain and the thin membranes that cover the brain (subarachnoid hemorrhage)
              Abnormalities in a blood vessel leading to or within the brain
              Cancerous or noncancerous tumors
              Obstruction of cerebrospinal fluid flow
              Reduced blood flow in the arteries feeding the heart
              Sinus infection

Prevention

Exercise headaches tend to occur more often when the weather is hot and humid, or if you're exercising at high altitudes. If you're prone to exercise headaches, you may want to avoid exercising in these conditions.

Some people experience exercise headaches only during the performance of certain activities, so they may prevent their headaches by avoiding these activities. A warm-up prior to strenuous exercise also can help prevent exercise headaches.

Treatments and drugs

If no underlying structural or vascular problem is causing your exercise headaches, your doctor may recommend medications to take regularly to help prevent the headaches.

Indomethacin (Indocin), an anti-inflammatory drug, is commonly prescribed.
              Propranolol, (Inderal, Inopran XL) a blood pressure medication, also is used to preventive exercise headaches.

If your exercise headaches are predictable, you may be able to take a medication an hour or two before a scheduled event, such as a tennis match or a hike at high altitude. Medications your doctor might prescribe include indomethacin and triptans (Imitrex, Relpax, others), which are commonly used to treat acute migraine headaches. If your exercise headaches are frequent or unpredictable, you might need to take the preventive medicine every day.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exe...daches/DS00641
              indomethicin for headaches? that's new. i always thought that was for gout.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Horton View Post
                indomethicin for headaches? that's new. i always thought that was for gout.
                Well...some headaches are caused by to much inflammation close to the brain and gout although caused by uric acid usually from to much protein...will result in inflammation as well from acid burn...so I guess it's used in both cases. It's an anti-informatory drug.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indometacin

I wonder though and wouldn't be surprised if the uric acid burn/inflammation from animal protein might be the cause of headaches in some cases as well.
                Last edited by jaded; 05-02-2012, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X