Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Sergio ruin his career because of weight disadvantage against JR?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Sergio ruin his career because of weight disadvantage against JR?

When Sergio fought JR, fight nights were:

Sergio: 167
    JR: 180

In the last round, in one KD Sergio injured his right knee. Few weeks later, Sergio needed a surgery on that knee, and then went to fight Murray showing a horrible form. Because of the problems in his right knee, he started having issues in his left knee. Then he did rehab on the knee for one year, and fought Cotto and had one of his worst performances.

Fighting JR at 160 was BRAVE. But why should boxing allow people to rehydrate so much? it makes weight divisions pointless.

What are we judging as fans? people fighting skills, or weight draining skills? them taking some drugs to cut 20lbs and then gain advantage? or guys that rehydrate 10lbs or less but that fight at their correct division?

I know we already had this conversation, but something needs to change.

He ruined his career by fighting dumb in the 12th round

Comment

What, no.

Sergio fell badly and his knee went. It was never going to be the same. It has nothing to do with how much Jr. weighed. Sergio beat Jr's ass for 11 rounds.

The same thing happened to Yuri Foreman vs. Cotto, bad fall knee pops. Sergio probably should've taken more time out. Those sorts of injuries in other sports take close to a year to get right and even then you are eased back in slowly not chucked in the ring and they have the best medical help.

Comment

For whatever the reasons may be, it's clear that fight took a lot out of Martinez

Comment

He was a footballer, a cyclist and a boxer with about 55 pro fights all at a very high level that is going to take its toll on anybody he was 40 too boot, most footballers careers are done by their early thirties.

Your joints, your body aren't designed to last forever.

Comment

Not really. That he fell and injured himself and was never the same. Can't blame Chavez when he got his ass whopped for 11rounds

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
              What, no.

Sergio fell badly and his knee went. It was never going to be the same. It has nothing to do with how much Jr. weighed. Sergio beat Jr's ass for 11 rounds.

The same thing happened to Yuri Foreman vs. Cotto, bad fall knee pops. Sergio probably should've taken more time out. Those sorts of injuries in other sports take close to a year to get right and even then you are eased back in slowly not chucked in the ring and they have the best medical help.
              Forman's knee was already messed up, he had a knee brace on for the fight

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
                When Sergio fought JR, fight nights were:

Sergio: 167
                JR: 180

In the last round, in one KD Sergio injured his right knee. Few weeks later, Sergio needed a surgery on that knee, and then went to fight Murray showing a horrible form. Because of the problems in his right knee, he started having issues in his left knee. Then he did rehab on the knee for one year, and fought Cotto and had one of his worst performances.

Fighting JR at 160 was BRAVE. But why should boxing allow people to rehydrate so much? it makes weight divisions pointless.

What are we judging as fans? people fighting skills, or weight draining skills? them taking some drugs to cut 20lbs and then gain advantage? or guys that rehydrate 10lbs or less but that fight at their correct division?

I know we already had this conversation, but something needs to change.
                I think Maravillas bad knees were from a combination of many things, I heard the guy was super athletic playing soccer & cycling etc not to mention he had a herky jerky (so to speak) type boxing style that relied heavily on movement, HIS AGE, & he went through some wars. Chavez Jr. was no doubt an icing on the cake though, that is why fighters need to be very careful when negotiating contracts but alot of fighters would rather have full pockets than be able to talk or walk right at the end of the day. Sergio was a warrior and props to him for fighting a big oaf like Chavez, I couldnt imagine going 12 full rds with him loping all over me, thatll kill anyones back or knees (athlete or not) good clear win, I just hope he will always have $$omething to show for it...

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx... View Post
                  Forman's knee was already messed up, he had a knee brace on for the fight
                  Martin - Glazkov then, I still don't see the connection that Chavez Jr. blowing up in weight the day of a fight has to do with Martinez knee injury.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
                    Martin - Glazkov then, I still don't see the connection that Chavez Jr. blowing up in weight the day of a fight has to do with Martinez knee injury.
                    Oh i agree..Martinez did it to himself trying to be macho in the 12th when he had the fight wrapped up already

Comment

Working...
                    X